general question about interpreting a sabian symbol

Sophie

Hello symbollers,

I have a general question about interpretation. Sabian Symbols, as written down by Lynda Hill, have a general meaning, and then a caution. Very often the caution contradicts directly the general meaning of the symbol.

When you are looking for an answer to a question - and you don't know that answer already - then how do you choose? I don't only divine about myself - in which case I can do some soul-searching and I'll know - I also divine about other people (often in relation to myself), to understand motivation, anticipate developments, etc. Since I don't like to second-guess people, and I don't want to project either, I find it sometimes very hard to read a symbol when the caution is so diametrically opposed to the main meaning.

So although I try and read a symbol in the round, I find that when asking questions, they can sometimes get a little too complex for my simple mind looking for a simple answer.

An example:

Q: "why has my sister reacted so aggressively to our father's suggestion of selling the family home?"
A: Aquarius 29, A butterfly emerging from a chrysalis.

Now - does this mean she is still transforming, and that's making her insecure and bad-tempered, but that eventually she will emerge a beautiful butterfly? Or does it mean (as per caution), that she is resisting transformation, tying herself to the past and taking it out on her family?

See what I mean?

MCsea

Fudugazi said:
An example:

Q: "why has my sister reacted so aggressively to our father's suggestion of selling the family home?"
A: Aquarius 29, A butterfly emerging from a chrysalis.

Now - does this mean she is still transforming, and that's making her insecure and bad-tempered, but that eventually she will emerge a beautiful butterfly? Or does it mean (as per caution), that she is resisting transformation, tying herself to the past and taking it out on her family?

See what I mean?

Hmm I suppose it is perspective - both of your above answers are correct she is having a hard time cause she is not a butterfly yet - she cannot FLY away.. this can mean she has not transformed yet, or that she is restricting transformation OR that she is meant to be a bear and not a butterfly and will always find 'this' hard..

I suppose the answer is because she has strong ties to her 'chrysalis'... Id for example take out the 'taking out on her family bit' of your interp cause the sabian symbol is really focused on 'her' and 'her home'... something has delayed her development (the symbols dont judge).

I treat the caution like a reverse tarot card - and for me I dont Do reverse tarot cards very well.. I think we are already negative enough - we read far too much hardship into things as it is... well I do, I am very well versed in the hard side of things, I also try and phrase my question so I dont have to worry about deciding.. if I want a caution I say please tell me the caution for my work day, please tell me the caution about if I do this today...

I read and think about the symbol and all the aspects of it, then look to - in particular Lynda Hills first paragraph. I use the positive and caution only as a back up. If I am using other references - eg Marc Edmund Jones's book I only look at the key word, Lin Birkbeck I take all he has to say and 'sieve' it.

As for your sister and your father I hope they are both afforded some Divine TIME to move into this new era in their lives..

Ok - lets try another one :)

blessings

MARINA

Sophie

Thanks Marina (by the way, my example was invented for the sake of illustration - my sister actually reacted perfectly serenely to the suggestion of selling the family home :))

I have a few comments, though:

MCsea said:
I suppose the answer is because she has strong ties to her 'chrysalis'... Id for example take out the 'taking out on her family bit' of your interp cause the sabian symbol is really focused on 'her' and 'her home'... something has delayed her development (the symbols dont judge).
No, symbols don't judge, but humans do - in my example, the question was why did she react aggressively (i.e. take it out on her family) - so trying to understand underlying motivation for an action or reaction. So the "react aggressively" or "take it out on her family" is part of the question. It therefore does have a bearing on the answer.

I treat the caution like a reverse tarot card - and for me I dont Do reverse tarot cards very well.. I think we are already negative enough - we read far too much hardship into things as it is... well I do, I am very well versed in the hard side of things, I also try and phrase my question so I dont have to worry about deciding.. if I want a caution I say please tell me the caution for my work day, please tell me the caution about if I do this today...
That's very useful, thanks. I must say, I sometimes ask a question twice: once for the positive answer, and once for whatever caution I might need to take into account.

I read and think about the symbol and all the aspects of it, then look to - in particular Lynda Hills first paragraph. I use the positive and caution only as a back up. If I am using other references - eg Marc Edmund Jones's book I only look at the key word, Lin Birkbeck I take all he has to say and 'sieve' it.
OK, I see that.

Sometimes it's very obvious if the caution applies, but often - and especially in trying to understand the motivations of others - it's not. As I said in my initial post, I don't like second-guessing people, which is one reason why I read about their motivations where these affect me.

However, there will be times where the caution applies, and it's useful to know how people "know", apart from pure intuition.

lark

If you want to look at it from just the first meanings perspective...

I think she acted aggressively because she has no power over the situation..the house is not hers any more...she has left it as the butterfly has to leave the chrysalis behind...
But even a butterfly may still have feelings about his season as catapillar, and fear all the changes that already have and will take place in his future, once the chrysalis is gone for good and the wind blows it away...no place to safely crawl back into...even though he knows he would never fit in that old life again.

Elven

Hi Fudugazi, MCsea and lark :D

Lark!! This is a beautiful interpretation!! :love:
lark said:
But even a butterfly may still have feelings about his season as catapillar, and fear all the changes that already have and will take place in his future, once the chrysalis is gone for good and the wind blows it away...no place to safely crawl back into...even though he knows he would never fit in that old life again.

Just some of my thoughts ...

Sometimes I will go through Lyndas interpretation and just pick over words - not the entire reading - or maybe one sentance will stand out more so than another - I then piece the meaning together from those words. I see a staement forming.
The essence of the message (as Marina was saying) is often held in the first few lines of Lyndas interpretation ... and the Cautionary aspect is a consideration depending on the 'feeling tone' of the question.

May I just say ;) (well Im going to anyway :p) you read the Symbols so well Fudugazi!! and I know sometimes there can be doubt about the response you get for the questions you ask ... but I feel you have always had a keen insight into them, and been so connected to them yet you find you doubt your interpretation. I say this with much love, and understand that sometime we all need a clarification, but you have a gift of 'understanding and expressing' with words, and the Symbols talk to you and you comprehend them so well!! I love your interpretations using the Symbols!! and there is also the ability with the Symbols to put your own meanings to them ... what the Symbol says to you - how it impresses upon you. *Elven finishes spiel :p*

I have found sometimes the Symbol meaning develops over time (which can also be short, but continuous in its development) Once it is known, its almost as if its been 'activated' so that there is a definite outward manifestation of the energy in process. Something tangable, something you can recognise and see - acknowledgement.

Im not sure if this help you with your interpretations :p, but allowing the symbol energy to form and flow, the answer will reveal itself, formed, so that you can recognise it, applied to the question.

:love;
Blessings Fudugazi!
Elven x

Sophie

Thanks for your replies, Lark and Elven. And Elven - thanks for the compliment :)

You've given me food for thought, and I shall take it away and let it mulch inside me!

MCsea

Elven said:
May I just say ;) (well Im going to anyway :p) you read the Symbols so well Fudugazi!! and I know sometimes there can be doubt about the response you get for the questions you ask ... but I feel you have always had a keen insight into them, and been so connected to them yet you find you doubt your interpretation. I say this with much love, and understand that sometime we all need a clarification, but you have a gift of 'understanding and expressing' with words, and the Symbols talk to you and you comprehend them so well!! I love your interpretations using the Symbols!! and there is also the ability with the Symbols to put your own meanings to them ... what the Symbol says to you - how it impresses upon you. *Elven finishes spiel :p*

My I be permitted to SECOND THIS :)
SECONDED!
MOTION MOVED

blessings

MARINA

Sophie

Oh, ladies, ladies! *blushing*

I think it's when I read for myself - any kind of oracle - that I find myself doubting what I perceive, because I am afraid of projecting my fears and wishful thinking onto the reading. This is particularly the case when faced with an oracle that has negative/positive meanings, like the Sabian Symbols or tarot (it's easier for me with the I-Ching - the negatives and positives are part and parcel of whatever Hexagram and changing line you draw).

But I keep trying. Sometimes I will say out loud, before a reading: "no fears, no wishful thinking, just the plain truth" and draw my cards. It has a clarifying effect on me, and I find my readings are more accurate for myself. Still not easy though :rolleyes:

I love the Sabian Symbols, though. I don't contribute much to the forum, but I read it and use the Symbols often, ever since Elven introduced me to them.

Still haven't cracked the caution bit, but hopefully it will come with time and practice.

MCsea

HI all,
I have am in a re-evaluation stage with the caution aspect,
I think I was not honouring the information in this section... as much as I should have, and I am experimenting more with caution questions....

hmmmm VERY interesting!

MARINA