Ludy Lescot - Hermit IX

Aerin

Well, this chap looks very well fed for a hermit. He's got the lamp but I don't see him as searching for spiritual enlightenment somehow.

It seems more likely that he's searching for someone who has escaped his clutches. I don't think he is the same person as the Chariot driver, he might be looking for chariot-girl though. I get an impression of power and arrogance more than anything else frokm this figure.

Hemera

Well fed-LOL :D Yes, it´s true that he is not very..."hermity". He looks like a nobleman with his expensive silk frock coat and the chariot behind him. He doesn´t look evil to me. He looks more like a good guy worried about something.

His hat looks like the one of the Charioteer. I´d say this is the Charioteer and the girl has escaped to the woods in her despair and he is worried.

What´s with the cat? He looks like the kind of guy who´d have well bred and obedient hounds by his side. Maybe the girl has shapeshifted into a cat?
Are his eyes open or closed, what do you think?

Attachments

• Hermit.jpg
    Hermit.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 858

Elendil

He seems to be waiting for someone - but why wait beside a graveyard? (There are tombstones beyond the carriage).

I immediately think of the novel 'Dracula' when I see this card. Near the beginning Jonathan Harker meets a coachman who takes him off to Castle Dracula, his host's retreat, far away in the mountains and away from the whole of civilization (and what unholy revelations await him there!) The coachman in the story is likely Dracula himself (there are enough clues in the text to suggest so at least) - but we never really know for certain.

The black cat is a 'traditional familiar' for both warlocks and witches. Like everything else in this deck, The Hermit is not exactly what he seems...

Quester

I also think he is waiting for someone to find him and holding the light to show the way.

Minotauro

maybe he is the chariot driver , waiting for the girl?

is this all suposed to be in cronoclogical order?

after all people search for the hermit...

Prasomchai

I also think he is waiting for someone to find him and holding the light to show the way.

I thought that too. He is ready to take you into the darkness of the cemetery, if you would only be so bold as to approach him and request to be taken.

daisy chain

hi strange i find him kinda creepy like a charlse dickens character

MaineGirl117

hi strange i find him kinda creepy like a charlse dickens character

Charles Dickens was very good at wrapping real life concerns into ficticious parables that were digestable to the reader. In some way, his audience could identify with the story and characters. He didn't disguise the harshness of reality and I don't think this Hermit does either. What he shows to me is that even in the dark, there is always a bright spot of hope if you but look for it.

crystalwings

The Hermit

I like the Hermit visiting a grave yard. Has he gone there to find answers to his past? Or did he find what he was looking for? Does he shine his light on your past?