Ludy Lescot - Hanged Man XII

Aerin

He looks asleep on the skulls and I can't make my mind up if she has lowered him and is untying him, or is tying him up about to hoist him skyward. There's a hole - an escape hole? - in the back wall.

Quite an appealing looking man IMO, younger than the Hermit. Perhaps he could be "man on horse" in the Lovers. This card does seem to be suspended between events.

Hemera

This card is quite puzzling and I think there are probably many possible interpretations. He looks good and there is an erotic vibe here,too. He looks like he is asleep, yes. Drugged perhaps?

Picture from Alidastore webpage.

Attachments

• Hanged.jpg
    Hanged.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 751

MaineGirl117

Astrological Significance?

I found this description while browsing around the internet. It's a description of the Astrological 12th House and the whole phrasing of "looking upward and outward" brought me right back to the LWB interpretation here.

Memory is like a cemetary of illusions. No matter where you turn your head, look upward and forward!

. The Twelfth House: The twelfth house is where consciousness dawns - the house of the rising Sun. This is the indeterminate state - the chaos before the new impulse - where all is yet unfulfilled potentialities. Traditionally this is the house of 'sacrifice', and is often connected with prisons, betrayal and self-undoing. Although we can choose to become trapped and frustrated by the many obstructions to attaining our dreams, we can also choose to reach outward and upward to a more fulfilled state, transcending the usual down-dragging conditions and rising above difficulties - thus establishing a life nearer our ideal. Here in the twelfth house we have the capacity to attain liberation by using our visionary scope and working creatively with life's intangibles - the power of imagination!
via ChaosAstrology

Could this be the one who dies - Patrick? - in Death, and who appears as a ghost in the background of the Temperance card??

Ha! Furthermore, could he represent 'EGO"??

Just a thought I'll throw out there - what if this is a story about a man finding his feminine side and Ludy Lescot is his 'unconscious' self? Hmm.. I'll have to think about that some more, not sure here but thought I'd share. Ideas?

Hemera

I found this description while browsing around the internet. It's a description of the Astrological 12th House and the whole phrasing of "looking upward and outward" brought me right back to the LWB interpretation here.
Oh I´m amazed that you get so much out of the LWB. I have been thinking it´s quite useless and you keep finding all these connections! :p

Just a thought I'll throw out there - what if this is a story about a man finding his feminine side and Ludy Lescot is his 'unconscious' self? Hmm.. I'll have to think about that some more, not sure here but thought I'd share. Ideas?
Could be.. I have been seeing it as the story of Ludy and how she connects with her Animus/inner masculine. I think there´s room for all kinds of interpretations in this deck!

MaineGirl117

Ya! I suppose it would all depend on the reader and which gender they're missing internally if you're going from that perspective.

It's interesting how the LWB becomes applicable as a meditative tool. It's amazing on which words stick with me in different instances and become directions towards interpretting the cards. Dunno :) Give it a whirl...

kaushalyaandfrank

Memory is like a cemetary of illusions. No matter where you turn your head, look upward and forward!

An excellent discovery! And this seems to tie in somewhat with the traditional meaning of the card...but perhaps also bringing in aspects of procrastination and daydreaming.

Celtictarot

It looks a lot of people has gone before. Perhaps a death of sorts to get to the truth. So many times people can't see the hidden knowledge within, so something has to died to allow movement forward and openings will open up for you?!

beginagain

My personal take is that he's making a sacrifice of himself; he's calmly and willingly offering himself for the rope, which will raise him up above death, impermanence and dissolution, as represented by the skulls. He knows that it's suffering that will lift him up from the mundane; he's neither nervous nor frightened, he knows what he stands to gain by undergoing trial. There's a serenity about him that's soothing. Despite the dark background, despite the sacrifice he is going to make, he is composed and resolute in the face of it all.

This card is my favourite card out of the Ludy Lescot deck, and is one of my favourite cards ever.

lalalibra

This is also one of my favorite cards, and I think it is a perfect depiction of the spirit of this trump!

One thing I appreciate about this particular image is how much it seems to emphasize the painful aspect of the Hanged Man - the pain of waiting indefinitely, of feeling so bare to the bone in the cold darkness of the cave, of feeling tied up and twisted every which way. I imagine how awkward and painful it must feel to have so much of his weight being crushed into the bones underneath him. And although he's upside down, in that way, it's like he's still bearing 'the weight of the world' upon his shoulders. And all the while, his expression seems very focused, like he's really tapping into 'mind over body' - but without denying the difficult and painful circumstances, as some might think the point of 'mind over body' ought to be. Escaping the pain is not his goal. He knows that he is gifted with the opportunity to spiritually grow from the challenges posed by life in the physical world, as strange and as frightening as it may be. He isn't wasting his energy on a futile attempt to writhe his way out of the ropes. He is silent. He is trusting. He endures. With his chest exposed, he truly surrenders with an open heart, and it's that which is key to his survival... He feels the contrast between the warmth of his own flesh and the cold, sharp bones of the dead - and to remain so incredibly composed through something so intensely challenging to the senses, he gains first-hand experience of the inherent strength that's being tested within all aspects of his being - body, mind, and spirit. In feeling his own body, in acknowledging his pain, he feels what is hurting - he recognizes what he is made of, what his own "structure" is composed of - who he really is down to the bone and deep in the core... In his stillness, he "moves" beyond the senses; beyond everything he ever thought he knew about himself (bones = the past, memories, illusory losses).