2S Blindfold

ravenest

Yes. Although I don't see the Swords in that way. I see them as a defence or protection whilst she is blind. I had never considered that she was blindfolded simply because she wanted to balance the swords. I thought she was blindfolded to avoid external stimuli so that she (or he) could focus inwardly. To get a sense of balance inwardly. So that no other external distractions could detract from this inward focus.

What was the motivation of the blindfold as 'peace' - inner peace.:D

So I went back to the PKT:

He says a hoodwinked female. Hookwinked means she has been deceived.

It does ... but 'hoodwinked' (not a hood but a 'blindfold') has another significance as the term is used in Masonic initiation. The Candidate is 'hoodwinked' as he he is led into the temple ( apart of his journey ... the purpose of which is to seek 'wisdom and peace'. )

http://www.sacred-texts.com/mas/dun/img/03100.jpg

Holding the sword across the chest upright and resting on the shoulder is also a Masonic pose of the 'Tyler' (or anyone with their sword out during a long knowledge lecture ;) )

http://www.rybeck.com/falcon065ir.gif

http://www.camberleylodge.org.uk/images/image004.jpg

How I don't know. Perhaps she was tricked into wearing a blindfold and holding the swords but she isn't doing much struggling and can drop them whenever she wants. So is this post deception where she has found out and is attempting to hold it together.

No, its the usuall case of interpreting symbols exoterically.

I'm not sure how reliable the PKT is when looking at the images. However he does say

" ..harmony and other favourable readings must be considered in a qualified manner, as Swords generally are not symbolical of beneficent forces in human affairs "

That applies to the suit in general and the human mind ... but it can have a good aspect ... as I outlined above, with the 2 being the purest form of this energy.
So harmony is not really the meaning of the card because swords don't really fit the harmonious meaning.

I dont see the logic there ... not all swords are 'bad' ... the ace is pure ... is not the magical sword (or dagger) a symbol of the clear mind of the Magician, the rational faculty and intellect , one of the main weapons of the magician and also that of Libra?

He seems to be hinting (as does the image) that a lot more lies beneath. We are not seeing everything that is going on.

Agreed !

"Concord in a state of arms" would suggest mid fight or preparation to fight.

It can ... but that does not mean no peace, nor 'mid-fight' my house is in a 'state of arms' , my kobudo training weapons are all over the place, I am in a trained state of 'preparation to fight' ... yet its very peaceful here , and outside of training I am very peaceful ... some people have even come here looking to disrupt the peace in the past ... looked around and decided NOT to disturb the peace ;)

Striking a balance.

Ahhh ! Yes .... STRIKING a balance, I like that :) - Libra again.

Equipoise means an equal distribution of weight so balance.

note toes;

http://bloomingtonthelema.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/adjustment-thoth.jpg

ravenest

The image suggests an unbiased settlement or arbitration of a conflict. The blindfold represents objectivity and impartiality and is often depicted on images of Lady Justice.

Hope THAT gets through by now .

danieljuk

I think also the blindfold shows that the solution doesn't come from outside. She needs to remove all external distractions. If making a difficult choice, she perhaps needs to calmly meditate on it. It's a lot of effort to be blindfolded and hold those swords up but it's a choice. But also this forces concentration rather than any kind of physical action.

It's interesting to compare this card to the blindfold in the 8 of Swords. in the 2ofS's its a choice to make that decision or even a need. Almost like sitting down to meditate. In the 8ofS's she is not looking at what she has. She could get free from that restricted position and free her hands and pull down the blindfold. She didn't choose to be in that position but she chooses to continue to stay in it and not look ahead. In both the cards though, careful thought needs to be had.

Richard

In all fairness, we must admit that Waite's use of archaisms, such as hoodwink for blindfold, can be confusing sometimes:

"Exordiumatically, deponent precateth otity orient exaudient, dole basilical's assumpt. Pragmatics, ex Ventro Genesiaco ad umbilicum Apocalypticum, determinated logomachoepy's nodal puncts, genethliacally benedict, eschatologically — kakoglaphyrotopical! Ergmoiraetic, apert parthenorhododactylical, colophoned thanatoskianko-morphic!" — Arthwait (as quoted in Moonchild)​

Zephyros

The figure might actually be transgender, if we put the blind seer Tiresias in the card... Moon in Libra indeed!

caridwen

The figure might actually be transgender, if we put the blind seer Tiresias in the card... Moon in Libra indeed!

This has been suggested a few times regarding this card. That the figure could equally be a man or woman.

Teheuti

It does ... but 'hoodwinked' (not a hood but a 'blindfold') has another significance as the term is used in Masonic initiation. The Candidate is 'hoodwinked' as he he is led into the temple ( apart of his journey ... the purpose of which is to seek 'wisdom and peace'. )
Yes, if you are looking at why Waite would have wanted the figure 'hoodwinked' then it is a clear reference to being hoodwinked in Masonic initiations. Being blind without so one can see within. The swords are in the shape of the right-angle Square, a key Masonic symbol, on which the candidate was to swear his oath. There are drawings of the initiation showing the hoodwinked candidate next to an altar on the side of which is drawn the Square.

Moon in Libra (the Major Arcana correspondences: Priestess in Justice) along with the crossed swords refer to impartiality and "peace restored" described as the "gentle influence of the Moon" on airy Swords which "restores and pacifies." It's a kind of hanging up of the weapons. Their being crossed also echos the crossed Lily and Rose on the 2 of Wands.

The non-action can also be seen as fence-sitting.