5 of Pentacles - the bell

CreativeFire

Great lateral thinking there Centaur! You could have something there - gives me something else to think about with the card with what you have connected to.

CreativeFire

Lee

Also, perhaps we could relate it to the little bells which are on the Ace of Cups (under the bowl of the cup).

-- Lee

Centaur

Lee said:
Also, perhaps we could relate it to the little bells which are on the Ace of Cups (under the bowl of the cup).

-- Lee

I also missed those... haha!

OK. I think that they tie up very neatly with the bell around the neck of the 5P tramp.

If we look at the Ace of Cups and indeed the symbology of the card as related to joy, love, and emotional-happiness, then perhaps the presence of the bell around the neck of the 5P tramp signifies the NEED for such happiness. It might also signify hope in a very dark situation.

I am also thinking that the presence of the bell if we relate it to the Ace of Cups might also symbolise the need to love one's self: the need to address one's self esteem during such difficult times in order to enable positive change.

C

Lee

Centaur said:
I am also thinking that the presence of the bell if we relate it to the Ace of Cups might also symbolise the need to love one's self: the need to address one's self esteem during such difficult times in order to enable positive change.
Good point... also, perhaps, the need to extend love to those less fortunate, such as the people on the 5 of Cups.

-- Lee

gloria

CreativeFire said:
Another thought on a lighter side, having spent some time on crutches, there were times that I wish I had a bell or something so people could hear me coming and move out of the way a bit -

I understand the bell was to warn others that the wearer had leprosy and therefore to keep well away.
Same purpose as a bell on a cat's collar - warning the birds to steer clear.
As you say CF one would have come in very handy for your situation!
G.

Centaur

Lee said:
Good point... also, perhaps, the need to extend love to those less fortunate, such as the people on the 5 of Cups.

-- Lee

Another interesting take. I had never thought so much about this card. :)

Whenever I see it, I am reminded of seeing homeless people on the sat outside the Underground or stuffed into a street corner and begging for change. Awful.

C

tmgrl2

Good thread...I never noticed the bell in 5Pentacles before...I always see the stained glass church with the pentacles in the window and it makes me think of the wealth of the "Church" the meaning that if churches have so much money/wealth, why are there so many people starving and out in the cold....people who need...

I see 5 Pentacles as ...there is enough to go around...with religious organizations sometimes coming into criticism for their wealth...I see it as a very sad card, that somewhere, not necessarly in "religion" where we may find money..somewhere there is help...

Then the bell triggered all kinds of associations..wedding bells, school bells, jingle bells, bells that toll for death, ....so I did a Bartleby's search for anyone who feels like reading about bells...seems that depending on the Q, the question and card that has the bell(s) could signify almost any meaning of bells.

I'm going to try adding the link..see if my tech skills are up to it...

bartleby.com/cgi-bin/texis/webinator/sitesearch?FILTER=col100&query=bells

I'm going there myself...terri

tmgrl2

Now that I have read some of the "bell" quotes...while many are joyful, I think it would be appropriate to say that 5 of Pentacles is not so...I love the Shakespeare quote:

Under the shade of melancholy boughs,
Lose and neglect the creeping hours of time,
If ever you have look'd on better days,
If ever been where bells have knoll'd to church,
If ever sat an any good man's feast.

This opens up the thread of the pain and melancholy of the two figures walking outside a church? (stained glass windows)
Both of them passing a church, a place of worship and comfort?
yet neither seeing it...they look forward and pass the church by..I still find the pentacle symbols in the window disturbing..On a literal level, they could represent money....or wealth of spirit that they fail to see (in the church symbol)

Centaur

Excellent quote tmgrl2.

Perhaps the use of stained-glass is important in its own right. Many churches depict idealised saints and imagery on stained-glass windows. Perhaps the presence of pentacles in the stained-glass refers to the idealisation of money: present, but out of reach?

C

tmgrl2

Centaur said:
Excellent quote tmgrl2.

Perhaps the use of stained-glass is important in its own right. Many churches depict idealised saints and imagery on stained-glass windows. Perhaps the presence of pentacles in the stained-glass refers to the idealisation of money: present, but out of reach?

C

I like that! Is it out of reach, though, because the weary, sick,downtrodden souls walking past it don't realize that there is salvation....somehow, I still can't get a handle around the pentacles in the stained glass window...so this is one more possibility....ty terri