Advice on LBRP

Zephyros

I've heard differing views on the subject. Some people say it is a part of basic "magickal hygiene," but someone once told me that it tends to "dry" things up, since you're basically banishing all the elements, leaving you with nothing. I suppose it depends on your personal practice.

I don't do it regularly mainly because of a lack of discipline, I have extremely bad magickal hygiene. :)

Aeon418

I've heard differing views on the subject. Some people say it is a part of basic "magickal hygiene," but someone once told me that it tends to "dry" things up, since you're basically banishing all the elements, leaving you with nothing.
Banishing leaves you with nothing? :confused: Well I guess a 'balanced elemental state' could be viewed as nothing. Sort of....

I think banishing is a bit of a misnomer. I tend to see rituals such as the LBRP as a kind of 'reset button.' After performing the LBRP everything is still there, but it's been 'reset' into a balanced or neutral state. And from that balanced position you begin to work.

Aleister Crowley said:
Cleanliness is next to Godliness, and had better come first.

Zephyros

Well to be fair, that isn't my view, I really haven't done enough to know. Just an armchair GD buff said that to me.

But, in my unqualified view, I do agree with you.

smw

Talking to a guy tripping during a blackout at a festival at night time ... the field goes from total darkness and quiet to floodlights, stage light show and the DJ starts up again with deafening music.

Me; " Ah great! They fixed the power."

Tripper; " Huh ? What ?"

Me; " The power and lightshow and music has come back on."

Tripper; " Ohhh ? I hadn't realised it had gone off."

:laugh:

light show in his head.. :joke:

ravenest

And there is a version from Eliphas Levi as well.

Well, I do not trust too much any information sourced from internet and online. Chances are many of them might have been written by anyone, who has no clue what they are writing about. I still go for good old printed books.

:rolleyes: .... I meant what Crowley wrote about it.

Hmmm, that seems a modern problem, either one way or the other.

A bit like wiki, some believe everything written there, some poo poo anything referenced to it.

Ummm ... there are these things called references .... they can be easily looked up, especially using the internet. Also the internet publishes academic papers and peer reviewed journals, thesis, etc, as well as mindless youtubes.

Admittedly a book (published by a commercial company - not the author) is going to have to pass some process of validity ... it is usually to do with marketing.

But to give books validity over information that can be checked (if it shows) references and peer review on the internet ... ?

Erik VonDanniken has books published. And they are full of ..... ' crapa esteemo' .

Any way, look up what Crowley said and some good sources about the history of the idea - try Rabelais ... if your library has anything on him .... :) .

ravenest

"Success is your proof; courage is your armour; go on, go on, in my strength"

It doesn't matter who or what wrote it, there is no one definition of Will that suits everyone. While I respect ravenest and his experience in such matters, I certainly won't accept blindly his definition. Even if I did, our heroin addict won't necessarily accept ours. Even Crowley's definition isn't sacrosanct, because that's the whole point. Finding out what Will means is part of finding your own.

http://iao131.com/2014/02/26/top-10-myths-about-true-will/

http://iao131.com/

I had not realised I WAS defining it ??? I was directing towards Crowley definition and encouraging self research on the matter.

" I dont see why ..... can not be someone's will. In most cases I dont think it would be, .... , but ..... "

" No, it might not have actually been his will .... but are we going to start judging and dictating what others True Will should be ? "

It might have, I dont see why not , in most cases, but, ? Seems a pretty loose 'definition' ?

ravenest

Banishing leaves you with nothing? :confused: Well I guess a 'balanced elemental state' could be viewed as nothing. Sort of....

I think banishing is a bit of a misnomer. I tend to see rituals such as the LBRP as a kind of 'reset button.' After performing the LBRP everything is still there, but it's been 'reset' into a balanced or neutral state. And from that balanced position you begin to work.

Yes, when I read that post I thought the person with that idea has the 'banishing pre-liminary view' - chase everything away.

If one examines what is going on its nearly like an invocation of each element at a quarter to bring them all into a central balance and extension.

Originally Posted by Aleister Crowley
Cleanliness is next to Godliness, and had better come first.

Is that suggesting if we give Clos a scrub down his Godliness will come first ?

Zephyros

I had not realised I WAS defining it ??? I was directing towards Crowley definition and encouraging self research on the matter.

" I dont see why ..... can not be someone's will. In most cases I dont think it would be, .... , but ..... "

" No, it might not have actually been his will .... but are we going to start judging and dictating what others True Will should be ? "

It might have, I dont see why not , in most cases, but, ? Seems a pretty loose 'definition' ?

Well, semantically. Everyone has their own view of it. Indeed, everyone should have their own definition, as a stepping stone for the "next" definition, ad infinitum. I've seen some people define their Will as their choice of profession. I can't really gainsay that, because I feel that whatever you think your Will is, it is still a step to working it.

That came out clumsily, I hope you understand. My ultimate point was to fool moon who seemed to be looking for a clear-cut definition, when does not and should not, whether in a book or online. Will is not like serving a god to placate them in order to gain favors. That was my point.

ravenest

Yes, I understand, but I posted that for when others read it.

I dont want anyone thinking I can tell people what their will is and start contacting me for advice about that (its happened before .... and after about only sending me a few hundred bucks via paypal ... they start getting uppity about my dictatorial directions )

;)