Where to start?

whitehart

Hello,

I mostly am just into tarot cards and sometimes oracles but about a month ago I happened to see fluorite on-line for the first time and since then I can't get it out of mind, it's like it's calling to me. I've never been into minerals or anything but this fluorite is just calling me so strongly.

I started with Judy Hall's Crystal Bible, which am very happy with, but I have about nearly every page marked for the crystals I want! I found out that there is a rock/mineral store in the next town over and am planning a trip-my first and am really nervous.

Am not sure where to start, I've read though the forum and I have a list of what seems like the top ones such as quartz. The two crystals I really want to get is fluorite and also an Apache Tear which I've read helps with greif, I lost my Mom a few months ago suddenly and it's just been difficult-much like our relationship. Am unsure of the other crystals I want-to be honest I was just going to look around and see if anything calls to me.

But I have a first questions on this new journey.

I have two cats should I be worried if I touch the crystals and then pet them-can they get sick? can something transfer to them? They both are ususally very interested when I get my tarot cards out and the one is usually always beside me looking for a few pets where ever I am. I pet her all the time when I have my cards out but am worried that I can transfer something to them. should I keep them away and not touch the kitties when am touching the stones?

When I go to this store is it o.k. that I bring the crystal book I have to look up the stones and the meanings? I was going to be there when the store opens in the morning and allow myself as many hours as I please to look at everything, i've never allowed myself this kind of time before is this o.k. or do owners wish for you to not do this?

Is there a stone that makes a bubble around you when there is negative energy around you? Maybe you can carry it with you?

My starting budget is around $50.00, I think that's a nice amount but is it? I don't want huge peices just peices to hold in my hand and think with.

I thank you very much for reading, I feel like I've written a novel!

Hemera

I´m very sorry to hear about your loss..:love:

I'm not as knowledgeable as many here and I´m sure they´ll soon chime in. But I´m pretty sure your cats will be able to defend themselves against any harm and I´m pretty sure crystals won´t make them sick.
I'd also say that if you feel very much drawn to a crystal it might be a good idea to purchase it. Is that fluorite (that you can´t get out of your mind) within your budget? Maybe it would be a good idea to start with that?
Of course you can bring your book to the shop! In my experience shopkeepers are generally very knowledgeable and willing to help.

LoveLight&Peace

Hello,

I mostly am just into tarot cards and sometimes oracles but about a month ago I happened to see fluorite on-line for the first time and since then I can't get it out of mind, it's like it's calling to me. I've never been into minerals or anything but this fluorite is just calling me so strongly.

I started with Judy Hall's Crystal Bible, which am very happy with, but I have about nearly every page marked for the crystals I want! I found out that there is a rock/mineral store in the next town over and am planning a trip-my first and am really nervous.

Am not sure where to start, I've read though the forum and I have a list of what seems like the top ones such as quartz. The two crystals I really want to get is fluorite and also an Apache Tear which I've read helps with greif, I lost my Mom a few months ago suddenly and it's just been difficult-much like our relationship. Am unsure of the other crystals I want-to be honest I was just going to look around and see if anything calls to me.

But I have a first questions on this new journey.

I have two cats should I be worried if I touch the crystals and then pet them-can they get sick? can something transfer to them? They both are ususally very interested when I get my tarot cards out and the one is usually always beside me looking for a few pets where ever I am. I pet her all the time when I have my cards out but am worried that I can transfer something to them. should I keep them away and not touch the kitties when am touching the stones?

When I go to this store is it o.k. that I bring the crystal book I have to look up the stones and the meanings? I was going to be there when the store opens in the morning and allow myself as many hours as I please to look at everything, i've never allowed myself this kind of time before is this o.k. or do owners wish for you to not do this?

Is there a stone that makes a bubble around you when there is negative energy around you? Maybe you can carry it with you?

My starting budget is around $50.00, I think that's a nice amount but is it? I don't want huge peices just peices to hold in my hand and think with.

I thank you very much for reading, I feel like I've written a novel!

Hi Whitehart!

I'm very sorry to hear that you lost your mom *BIG HUG* My condolences to you and your family ~ sending tons of positive, healing vibes your way ~

Honestly, I would hold each crystal to see what feels good, and right for you. You can program them for what you want, or need help with. Clear quartz is a good multi-purpose crystal to have.

Clear quartz is good for protection from negative energy, as well as black tourmaline, smoky quartz, selenite, and quite a few others.

Apache tears is very nice for helping one through the grieving process, but it's not for everyone. Amethyst and Rose Quartz are very nice as well, you may want to consider those if the Apache tears doesn't feel right to you. There may be others listed in the crystal bible that are recommended for grieving too.

I have taken my crystal bible with me on occasion, and I always spend a lot of time crystal shopping. The shop near me is very welcoming, the owners never rush you, and are happy to have you there. They are happy to answer any questions that you may have, etc...If they weren't, I would find another place to shop. ;)

Crystals really are a very personal choice in my experience. If you're drawn to a specific crystal, that's what I would start with and go from there. You mentioned that you've been drawn to flourite, so that would be the first crystal I would pick up, hold, look at, and see how it feels. :)

Your starting budget is good, IMO. I only allowed myself $25.00 when I purchased my first crystals, and was able to get quite a few very nice tumbled crystals for that amount.

I can't help you with your questions about cats, but I'm sure that others that have cats will chime in.

Best wishes to you on your journey! :)

whitehart

Hi Whitehart!

I'm very sorry to hear that you lost your mom *BIG HUG* My condolences to you and your family ~ sending tons of positive, healing vibes your way ~

Honestly, I would hold each crystal to see what feels good, and right for you. You can program them for what you want, or need help with. Clear quartz is a good multi-purpose crystal to have.

Clear quartz is good for protection from negative energy, as well as black tourmaline, smoky quartz, selenite, and quite a few others.

Apache tears is very nice for helping one through the grieving process, but it's not for everyone. Amethyst and Rose Quartz are very nice as well, you may want to consider those if the Apache tears doesn't feel right to you. There may be others listed in the crystal bible that are recommended for grieving too.

I have taken my crystal bible with me on occasion, and I always spend a lot of time crystal shopping. The shop near me is very welcoming, the owners never rush you, and are happy to have you there. They are happy to answer any questions that you may have, etc...If they weren't, I would find another place to shop. ;)

Crystals really are a very personal choice in my experience. If you're drawn to a specific crystal, that's what I would start with and go from there. You mentioned that you've been drawn to flourite, so that would be the first crystal I would pick up, hold, look at, and see how it feels. :)

Your starting budget is good, IMO. I only allowed myself $25.00 when I purchased my first crystals, and was able to get quite a few very nice tumbled crystals for that amount.

I can't help you with your questions about cats, but I'm sure that others that have cats will chime in.

Best wishes to you on your journey! :)

Thank you both for your kind words and thoughts, you always think you have more time, but sometimes you don't. It's made me start to reevaluate my own life and the choices I have.

Thank you also for your knowledge on crystals. I feel so much better about my first trip after hearing about your shopping trips and reading your advice. Also, for the other crystals to look at, I've added them to my list and I'll see what feels right. It's interesting that you mention smoky quartz, I was going through some of the things my mom left me this afternoon and one of the rings my mom had was of a cocktail ring of smoky quartz and I was very drawn to it-the way the light hit it and it seemed so mellow and calming.

I feel so much better knowing that the cats are safe!

Thank you both!

suk

Don't be nervous about your trip to the store! I'm sure you'll have an amazing time. It's great that you're allowing yourself as much time as you want in the store. Your budget is a great starting point, you're sure to find lots of treasures to enjoy.

Owners don't mind at all if you spend a lot of time in the stores! I think it's quite encouraged, and unlike in most other shops, touching the crystals is encouraged too. What I usually do is pick up crystals and hold them for a while, maybe carry them around with me as I look at other things in the store. I often feel a surge of energy from them. For instance, I got a citrine the other day that sent what felt like an electric pulse into my hand. I was only carrying it around the store, not meditating or anything!

In my experience, crystals can help a lot with grief and matters of the heart. What I do is ask myself in meditation for a colour to help with my emotional issues. The last few days, I've been seeing a lot of pink in relation to that. So I got myself some rose quartz and rhodonite. I find them both very soothing and loving.

My cat loves all the crystals, especially the tumbles. I've heard that some really strong crystals can be harmful to animals in the long term, but I don't think it's anything to worry about. He's never reacted in any adverse way to the crystals, or fallen sick or anything. I just have to be careful to keep the round ones away from him because he thinks they're a ball for him to play with...

There are many stones that are protective. Smoky quartz, as someone mentioned, is a good one. I like tiger eye stones and labradorite. You'll find out which ones suit you. Another protective stone is black tourmaline, which is supposed to be helpful with grief too.

I think any stone can be programmed for protection, if you wish it. Don't hesitate to talk to them, or ask them for help. (Obviously you don't have to do it out loud.) They do respond!

Adriana

So sorry to hear about your mum! Sending a big hug to you.

I believe that your best guide in choosing crystals are the feeling you get looking at them and maybe holding them in the shop. As someone else said, just give yourself time in there. Maybe some crystal draws you in, and you feel you just got to have it!

As for grieving I also think that in the same way as we have different ways to grieve, also different crystals may be good for different people.
It's so recent, so maybe a gentle and kind stone is what is needed now?
Maybe you can even have the thought in your mind that you want a crystal to help you through grieving while going in there, maybe some sticks out to you?
Ive used rose quarts in grieving, but then it wasn't as recent. It did help me though, its a very gentle stone, like its giving a warm bear hug hehe
Ultimately your intution will help you and we can just come with suggestion that may or may not be right for you. The fluorite you saw may be a clue
Wish you all the best

whitehart

Thank you everyone so much for everyone for their kindness and thoughts, it helped greatly!
I went to the shop yesterday and I spent 2 hours there- I looked at everything and it was just such a positive and wonderful experience. I got my book out a few times just and they were very patient with me as I tried to find it in the book and read before I asked to see another stone. and I was only over my budget by 2 cents. The funny thing is I didn't even do the math as I was shopping- it just naturally happened that way.

I really wanted fluorite so I got a nice small piece and it's perfect - I used it last night before bed and it's such a relaxing stone I went to asleep with it in my hand and in the morning found it mixed up with the sheets. I also got a fluorite worry stone for work. It was so hard not to spend my whole budget on Fluorite!

I also got smoky quartz they had these points about the height of my index finger and when I was looking at them all in the box I was just picking them up and looking- but then I picked up one and it was so so hot- like it was burning and I just felt this surge in my hand- I never thought I would feel something like that! Well needless to say, I got that one. The burning has simmered down but it's still warm to my touch.

I also got two Apache tears, one for me and one for my mom, it just seemed right. I haven't really used them, but I have picked them since getting them and held them to the light and looked at how different they are.

I looked at the tourmaline that Suk mentioned, I was digging around the box and just felt so calm so I was just looking for one that wasn't really sharp and then I came across a piece still in the rock it was mined from and it was just so different and interesting- I got that.

I also got tree agate, green agate,and snowflake obsidian which I wasn't planning on getting but they were both really pretty and I liked just getting lost in their design.

They also sold jewelry so I got a pendent of black onyx that I was drawn to.

so far the cats hasn't been paying any attention to me when I had them out. I got a glass box to keep them in when not in use and they haven't given it any attention either. so I guess I was worried about nothing!

Am so so glad I went and I know am going to go again before winter sets in. Am so glad that am going down this path it just feels right.