Lenormand Deck from Robert M. Place

greatdane

I agree, Ladybird

Lovely deck. Unfortunately, unlike some decks that are basically a lenormand within an oracle where you can just use the traditional lenormand cards if you wish or add others to make more of an oracle rather than traditional lenormand, Mr. Place didn't do that. Ciro, Shaheen, and others give you the option. And I agree with what you said about if you wanted to use a traditional lenormand, this isn't necessarily one you would reach for. I wouldn't. I just wish if he had wanted to add something off the beaten lenormand path, he would have done it as an extra card or cards. So we're on the same page here...or deck. It will hurt his sales for those who want just a traditional lenormand or at least the option to use as one. But he has such a huge following who love his work, I'm sure this deck will do really well no matter what. I just know it won't be one for me personally. Still think he does brilliant artwork though!

magpie9

lovely work,but I just don't know. Somehow, it just isn't Lenormand. And what are you supposed to do with Isis and Osiris? He's the coffin, I guess, but......I think this apple fell too far from the tree.

greatdane

Great way to put it, Magpie9

It fell too far from the tree. I have NO problem with people adding EXTRA cards to a Lenormand, but if you're going to call something Lenormand than I expect to be able to read with it like a Lenormand. I don't mind if someone does a different style or theme, but I should look at the BIRDS card and know that's what it is, Owl and Mouse?
There is more flexibility with tarot to me than Lenormand. Someone may make ANY deck or read with ANY deck obviously, but if you're going to call it Lenormand, I should be able to know which card stands for which card. Otherwise, it's an oracle loosely based on a Lenormand.

magpie9

It fell too far from the tree. I have NO problem with people adding EXTRA cards to a Lenormand, but if you're going to call something Lenormand than I expect to be able to read with it like a Lenormand. I don't mind if someone does a different style or theme, but I should look at the BIRDS card and know that's what it is, Owl and Mouse?
There is more flexibility with tarot to me than Lenormand. Someone may make ANY deck or read with ANY deck obviously, but if you're going to call it Lenormand, I should be able to know which card stands for which card. Otherwise, it's an oracle loosely based on a Lenormand.
YES! What she said!

ZKEI

Totally agree.
:)

Emily

I have to agree with this too - it feels too much like an Oracle that just happens to resemble a Lenormand.

Alta

To be fair to Robert Place, he actually calls it something like The Burning Serpent Oracle and never said it was exactly a Lenormand. If we just say, well it's an oracle, we could probably enjoy it on that basis.
from the web site said:
It is an oracle deck based on the 19th century Lenormand oracle but with a deeper spiritual dimension. It can be used like a traditional Lenormand deck and also allows for personal visionary interpretations.
ETA: plus I am guessing the accompanying book by Rachel Pollock will be excellent.

greatdane

Very True Alta

He doesn't call it a Lenormand.

Although in the link on the first post it says it can be used as a traditional Lenormand. I think that's where the confusion comes in. If it didn't have that as a description, I think it would be easier to see it as not trying to be a Lenormand. Although it is a tad confusing to have something SO close to a Lenormand...yet not quite.

He's taken so much from Lenormand and just changed really a few cards to something that doesn't match. It's kind of neither a Lenormand and yet seems to be copying one closely. I just think if he had departed more from what we consider Lenromand, it would have seemed more like an oracle. I DO admire his work, this one I just find kind of confusing as to what it would like to be seen as. The book may add much more illumination. I hope so. I REALLY was excited to hear he had a Lenormand out (this was before I even heard the title or much about it) and if there is some way to see this in a clearer light, I think that might help a lot more people get into it. Right now, just looking at a few scans, it's kind of hard without further explanation.

Gulliver

May I ask what means "the burning serpent"? Somebody knows what is the idea behind this image?