Tabula Mundi Tarot: formerly Tarot "M"

Babalon Jones

Hey, thanks for the responses friends :)

There are epic plans for a companion book. Maybe too epic, if I ever want to finish it, haha. I have been writing the outline as I go, and writing the rest in my head. Which I'll admit is easier but not as practical. If it comes together as it is taking shape in my head, it will be "something else", or at least I hope so.

I'm on a roll as I think I may have the Temperance/Art card done this weekend. The drawing is complete and the black ink is at the halfway point. I really want to show you guys, as it is very different. It was a struggle at first but it all came together (pun intended })) and now I am happy with it so far. Would love to show it to somone who understands the symbolism and will get it. But I do think having some surprises are good. Otherwise by the time I finish the deck you will have seen it all. Familiarity breeds contempt? Well, hopefully not, as I have a long way to go.

Babalon Jones

Well, I have thought about it, and think that it is probably best not to show ALL of any one suit or all of the Majors. If anything it is what is recommended I guess due to the unfortunate nature of the world. So maybe those of you who check in could say, if there are cards that are "must see", or alternatively, maybe say "keep x, y, z secret I don't care about them"

That would help!

Temperance/Art is done in black & white; I hope to color it tomorrow.

sapienza

I have to be honest and say I'd LOVE to see Temperance. For me, the majors really are a must see. The minors is where I'm ok with the element of surprise as long as I can see a few to get a sense of the style. Ultimately, this deck is a modern masterpiece in the making in my opinion and I doubt having seen the cards will prevent my purchase. I can see it from your point of view though as well of course and others may disagree. You need to do what feels right for you. :)

daphne

Exquisite work, really educative for me. I cannot wait to see more of this deck, and to have it!

I never saw the Temperance depicted like this, I find it very original..the moon as an arch for the arrow going into the sun.
I enjoyed your text for this cards, I need it, otherwise I could not understand the symbols.

And I like bright cards and colors, that is why I like this card a little extra.

PS. Do I see also an uterus or is it just my imagination?

sapienza

A really interesting depiction of Temperance, the bow dripping water looks amazing. Thank you so much for sharing your inspired work. Just curious, will you title the card Art or Temperance?

Babalon Jones

Daphne, thank you and you would not be nuts to see a suggestion of a uterus as part of the alchemical vessel, as it very much has to do with a womb-like container, and it is actually based on a armature of fibonacci spirals, and the fibonacci sequence has much to do with nature, reporduction and creation, so yeah ;-)

Sapienza I am not sure about the name. Either Temperance or Art would be a totally appropriate name for the card. I am leaning toward Temperance, just in the sense of "tempering" as in with fire and water, but there is so much alchemy involved that I can totally see why Crowley renamed the card Art.

Justice is definitely Adjustment. Strength/Lust/Fortitude I am undecided still. I like the concept and word Vigor but a Russian friend pointed out that it may not translate as well, and is an anagram for Virgo which could confuse non-native English speakers, so I am pondering that one.

Any feedback on names will be carefully considered!

Alta

I enjoyed the text with the card as well as the depiction itself. This is the kind of help too often missing from esoteric tarot decks.

sapienza

Sapienza I am not sure about the name. Either Temperance or Art would be a totally appropriate name for the card. I am leaning toward Temperance, just in the sense of "tempering" as in with fire and water, but there is so much alchemy involved that I can totally see why Crowley renamed the card Art.

Justice is definitely Adjustment. Strength/Lust/Fortitude I am undecided still. I like the concept and word Vigor but a Russian friend pointed out that it may not translate as well, and is an anagram for Virgo which could confuse non-native English speakers, so I am pondering that one.

Any feedback on names will be carefully considered!

As far as Temperance goes I think either title would be fine, I guess I personally prefer Temperance but could easily live with Art.

For Strength/Lust/Fortitude, I was never so fond of 'Lust' as a title. I do like Vigor but agree that if some of the translation issues may be problematic then it may not be a good choice. Personally, my favourite is Fortitude for this card. It actually seems to encompass more than Strength and I feel like it's closer to what you are getting at with Vigor. The other option is to use Force, as it's more a synonym of Vigor and is still linked to Fortitude.

nicky

this is a fantastic deck - keeping this to watch :)