Eccentric?

nisaba

She asked me what I thought her significator was, AND I WAS STUMPED! She was ECCENTRIC!!!

So, in what way was she eccentric? Telling me she was eccentric tells me absolutely *nothing* about her character, her personality, her ethics, her clothes, her behaviour. Whatever cards define her behaviour, her personality and her character will be her significators, but telling me someone is eccentric tells me exactly nothing useful. Tell me about her character, her personality, her ethics and her behaviour instead, and I might be able to suggest cards. :)

Ruby Jewel

If you were going to choose a card for an eccentric woman, which card would you choose? I'm pretty well stumped on this one, and could use a few suggestions. Thanks. Eva

The definition of eccentric is "off center." This is someone who is spontaneous rather than balanced. Earth signs are too practical and water signs too emotional. That leaves fire and air. When you mix fire and air you get a conflagration. I think the two together create an unpredictable and uncontrollable personality. The modus operandi of mutable signs is "disappearance" so that leaves Gemini and Sagittarius....put the two together and you have the quintessential definition of "eccentric"....... nobody says they have to be feminine or masculine...so, as I see it, it perfectly describes the Fool, a Gemini, who is ruled by Uranus, the planet that appeared in our solar system when electricity was discovered. The Fool, being "no thing" is all things....both male and female. Court jesters are notoriously eccentric. I would most definitely give the honor to the Fool. If her birthday adds up to "22"......Bingo!

nisaba

The definition of eccentric is "off center."

I know a hell of a lot of off-centre people who are completely conventional. Eccentricity is somehow connected with being unusual in every dictionary-definition I've seen and in common usage (at least here). And I know some very unusual people who are completely centred and grounded, as well as a lot of off-centre people who are so alike as to almost be stereotypes and crowd-fillers.

In fact, good self-confidence, healthy relationships and mental health is unusual enough in industrialised societies to almost qualify as "eccentric" in-and-of-itself, because these people behave in ways that most of the people around them don't. :)

Barleywine

"Eccentric" makes me think harmlessly quirky or "marching to one's own beat" regardless of anyone else's opinion. We had lots of them back in the late '60s: I used to know a guy who would catch butterflies and moths in his hands and eat them just to scandalize his friends. If you've ever seen the movie "The Ruling Class," Peter O'Toole plays a true eccentric (who turns out to be a murderous schizophrenic in the end).

Ruby Jewel

I know a hell of a lot of off-centre people who are completely conventional. Eccentricity is somehow connected with being unusual in every dictionary-definition I've seen and in common usage (at least here). And I know some very unusual people who are completely centred and grounded, as well as a lot of off-centre people who are so alike as to almost be stereotypes and crowd-fillers.

In fact, good self-confidence, healthy relationships and mental health is unusual enough in industrialised societies to almost qualify as "eccentric" in-and-of-itself, because these people behave in ways that most of the people around them don't. :)

The word "eccentric" literally means "off center." I just put it out there for what it is worth as a contribution to the discussion because everyone seems to have a different opinion of what the word means. I am not really looking at individual people I know, personally. Barleywine hit the nail on the head for me when he said "they dance to the tune of a different beat. I find that interesting because I have heard them described as "they dance to the beat of a different drummer." Maybe if we could define normal we could categorize everyone into a slot of "normal" or "eccentric." Since theories are merely speculation, and opinions are arbitrary, I don't think it is possible because the possibilities are endless. After all, it takes all kinds of people to make a world. When I want to categorize a "type", I turn to astrology because it is generic and objective....and fun.

prudence

Eccentric (in the US) is usually a word that is reserved for very wealthy people who have lost their minds and generally speaking, killed someone or a few people. They are called eccentric in the aftermath and in hindsight. "He was always a bit eccentric....we never thought he would do something like this though."

Cards to indicate this? I would think strong wands and cups together, maybe a reversed magician, also the devil. One card to describe her? No, I'm not able to do that. I don't see one card describing this kind of issue.

Xrysalida

I would say the pentacles tribe can be eccentric and this is from my experience, 2 closed people I have near me are a Queen of pemts and a King of pents, both afe Earth signs and both they have Air influences on their astrological chart, So I d also add the Fool, as a representative of Aquarius who is a THE absolut eccentric personality.
So now that I m thinking about it again, a combination of Earth and Air can be an eccentric combo.

magicjack

Ever seen the movie Grey Gardens? Now that is eccentric!

Barleywine

Ever seen the movie Grey Gardens? Now that is eccentric!

No, but I've seen Harold and Maude and Jodorowsky's El Topo, both of which are right up there too! El Topo is more Fool-on-hallucinogens and H & M is more macabre Devil.

Enlightenment23

Definitely agree with CrystalRose's Hanged Man suggestion.

In my readings, the Hanged Man is the dude who sees things differently than others and usually has a different perspective. He sees the world differently than most, he marches to the beat of his own drum. The Hierophant Reversed, maybe. The Fool and The Moon as well. :)