Waterhouse - The Crystal Ball

Hemera

Here is the painting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crystal_Ball_(painting)

The woman is studying her small crystal ball and she is probably a Sorceress or a Witch. She has golden Dragons embroidered on her lovely red velvet dress. There is a book on the table and I first thought it was a Bible but on closer look one can see that there are magical drawings and I think it is probably her Grimoire.
I read somewhere that the stick on the open book is for lighting the lamp which can be seen in the corner behind the book stand. The colors of this painting are stunning; the purple curtain, the red dress and the bright orange chair. (The colors are not very clear on the card.)

I think it is interesting that a previous owner had the skull painted over (it has now been restored). It adds to the possible interpretations of this card.
This lady reminds me of St Mary Magdalene who is often shown dressed in red and very often shown with a skull and a book (Bible). Mary Magdalene was a brave woman and a rebel of sorts.

Some possible interpretations for this card:

* turning from theory, ideas and thoughts (the book) to practice and tangible things (the ball)
* hiding the truth, fear of the truth, fear of death (the hiding of the skull-story)
* journeying - shamanic, mental or real, maybe by water (there seems to be water inside the crystal ball)
* being brave, being a rebel, marching to a different drummer (Mary Magdalene)
* Lady in Red: exciting, erotic, exhilarating, free, "sinful"
* focusing on something very important; concentration, focused attention
* turning away from tradition (the book) and experimenting on one´s own (the ball)

seven stars

I like this article on this painting: http://lastroseofsummer2.hubpages.com/hub/1902-The-Crystal-Ball-by-Waterhouse although it kind of ends weird with "she only appears innocent because “Satan disguises himself as an angel of light”." Had to kind of snicker at that. It was interesting that women of that time period wore their hair down & fallen women pinned their hair up. Kind of opposite of today.

Her gaze is down & submissive. In the Sorceress she's remembering, in Invidioso she's taking action & seeking revenge, & in this card, she's looking for answers, and with crystal balls you tend to get a reflection of your self.