Anaithnid Tarot Production Notes

ekb

{So here's some of the highlights from my production and design notebook for my gaming-oriented tarot deck. They might be useful to others...}

The core production concepts for Anaithnid Games is to have as ecologically-sound a basis for physical game materials as possible while still creating quality products (part of the mission statement is to only produce games I'd buy in a store from complete strangers). Print-on-Demand can be useful in achieving this (print only what is sold, minimize waste and warehousing, recycled content in the materials as well as recyclable products), yet the quality of printing, paper and packaging can be a concern.

To make sure that the product was of as high a quality as possible, I shopped for a vendor first and established a relationship with them so that any questions or concerns would be handled in an efficient and mutually beneficial manner. I was sent paper and print calibration samples from a number of vendors and eventually settled on using The Game Crafter as printer and fulfillment center - it combined the majority of the services and products I wanted in a convenient framework. They were not the most reasonable choice from a revenue-driven viewpoint - the margin on products through them is not the most lucrative for the artists - yet they were very easy to work with for cross-promotion and marketing. So I went with them.

The deck was designed for playing cards with - one of the creative story-games that I'm hoping to release next year uses tarot as a resolution mechanic. It was also intended for use with traditional tarot games. I also read tarot, so having something that could be read with as a secondary purpose could be useful as well. As such, it fits the general design of playing cards - the card numbers are in opposing corners and can be clearly read even if the card is reversed. The central pips are simply numbers rather than symbols in a gridded pattern - a reverse can be read easily this way. I also chose to color-code the suits and Trumps to make following suit and using elemental patterns in a reading easier.

The titles of the Trumps were a source of some debate: I wanted the deck to be accessible to almost any person of any belief system, yet still follow some traditions of the cards in a respectful manner. I chose to use the Thoth ordering of the cards with some revised titles. The High Priestess and The Hierophant are made a bit more generic: The Priestess and The Priest. The Lovers becomes the Lover, in a nod to some of the older deck imagery of a young male making a choice between two females. Lust is The Force - another meaning of Strength, but also a small pun on Sforza and their contributions to tarot. Justice is The Balance. Death, Temperance, and The Devil are renamed The Mystery, The Great Work and The Tempter. Just about every other card keeps the name from the Thoth deck.

Print-on-demand is a technology that's very similar to a laser printer. As such, it has some of the same problems as a laser printer. Large flat areas of solid color tend to mottle and become uneven in density. Artwork that's too small will be blurry when reproduced and sometimes even art of the exact size will have problems if not well-constructed. So I chose designs that would be clear and relatively plain but not too large in proportion and have significant crossover between color separations while still looking nice and have a good contrast. I wanted to use the color scheme from the Enochian "vision of the watchtowers" from Dee & Kelley's workings, so I set up a green, red, light grey and blue-black to use for the suited pips. I chose a nice bright golden yellow for the Trumps.

The main pip artwork is simply the number in the suit's color. The courts are somewhat abstract chess icons - King and Queen are King and Queen, while Knights/Princes are Knights. Princesses/Pages are Pawns. This sets up an interesting dichotomy for reading courts: K&Q are clearly personal while N&P are more abstract and functional. Kind of fun to use that separation in a reading. The Trumps are simply the number of the card with the title below it in that golden-yellow color. The background artwork is a Creative Commons licensed photo from NASA that has a dark enough quality that the colors pop the way I'd like yet isn't flat. I especially like the idea of using stars with something based loosely on Crowley's works.

The typeface I chose for all of the deck's numbers and labels was Lobster 1.4, a typeface with an open design license that I felt was warm and casual yet clearly readable when playing games. I sized the fonts to be right at the edge of the mottling issue.

To produce the actual artwork for the cards, I needed to turn my vector files into PNGs. This was relatively easy to do in Inkscape - I just set up a small script to render the files to PNG at the correct size and resolution. I produced the initial PNGs as twice the final size - 5x7 and then reduced them to fit the final 2.5x3.5 with bleed. In the process, the artwork became a bit more crisp in the resized PNGs.

The finished product: I'm happy with how the cards look and feel. I like the clay coated stock more than some of the plastic coated cards I've worked with. The smaller size makes having large hands (some variants on tarock use 19 cards in a player's hand) a bit easier to work with. The trim sizes are a bit off, but within the limits specified by TGC (however, 1/8" is a pretty big tolerance). I definitely do not like that any deck is packaged in a very large cardboard flip box - it's wasteful and bulky. I also do not enjoy how the cards were ordered in the shrink wrap they were sent in - I'd specified a pretty particular ordering. I'm also not a fan of their shipping costs...

Those concerns aside, I'd use them again to produce another deck any time.

Eoin Keith Boyle
Anaithnid Games

ekb

Artwork Resolution - Technical Concerns

{I was slightly distracted while writing the first part of the post and left this section out. D'oh!}

The card format is 2.5"x3.5" with a 0.125" bleed and a 0.125" safe zone. Using a vector drawing tool like Inkscape makes these factors trivial - just make sure that the card artwork fits the proportions, the clarity of the image won't change when resized.*

However, the preferred format for TGC is PNG - a raster bitmap format. When converting between the two type of drawing, the artwork passes through a set of anti-aliasing filters. Since these often work by averaging the values next to each other, the output looks blurry - not something I wanted with the deck.

I created my template file in Inkscape to be sized at 5.25"x7.25" - twice the width and height of the final card artwork + bleed. I set up a series of layers to express the card design - the starry background, the central figure, the corner numbering. I wrote a small script using Inkscape's code tools to automate the process of matching corner numbers to central figure, combining with background and then exporting a PNG at the doubled size. If I had it to do over, I'd probably have had better results with manually switching layers given the amount of time I spent on coding and debugging the script.

The raw output had the same 300ppi resolution that the final cards would have, but were twice the final size. I set up another script in GIMP to quickly resize the images to the correct resolution with what's normally a very poor choice of algorithm - linear. In this case, it simply cut the blurry pixels in half (sharper) rather than calculate bell-curves of probability (a bit less sharp). Scripting this was definitely not a mistake - it was one of the quickest and easiest parts of the process.

ekb

The French-Suited Anaithnid Deck

One of my gaming buddies is red/green color-blind, so the "normal" Latin-suited deck looks grey, grey, yellow and grey to him. It's still usable in that context - the corner numbering includes an abbreviation of the suit name - but it doesn't look so good. Being a graphic designer, I always want things to look better than good...
So back to the drawing board for a complimentary deck (as opposed to one that replaces the Latin-suited one).
The fact that there are 2 currents in deck suiting made life easy - the complimentary deck would be French-suited. After a number of attempts at building a biased set of pips (for reading reverses), I abandoned them entirely and embraced the idea of having a division of suits between red-black/outline-solid. The abstraction also makes it easier to re-associate correspondences in a reading - the artwork doesn't give any bias at all to any part of the reading or gameplay.
For the Courts, I returned to using chess as a metaphor - but with less-plain icons than the other version. I still wanted them to be minimal and iconic, just not as over-simplified.
In looking for a way to show reversals, I created a happy accident. I sat a coffee-cup down on one of my sketchpads and it left a mark on it. I then recreated this as the background on the common side and on the face side of the cards using GIMP and Inkscape - a pretty simple process. The grid and coffee stain makes a nice earthy contrast to the stars of the Latin-suited deck, as well as coordinating nicely with the red-black of the pips in a fairly unobtrusive way.
Production was handled much the same way as before: create the artwork, render as PNG at twice size, reduce to fit in a way that increases/keeps clarity in the image. The POD packaging is a bit different this time: instead of coming in a 3.5x8 indestructo box, they come in a 4x4 with the cards in a zip-top plastic bag. For local retail, I put together some tuckboxes that are sized to the deck. Still, I hope to automate and unify the look when TGC begins creating their own packaging...

ekb

Updating

2 years brings many technical improvements... Here's what's changed:

--TGC improved their printing technologies. That kind of lit a fire under my butt to improve what I was doing. So I created revised versions of the French & Latin decks, created a geomantic oracle toolkit, and a hybrid gaming/divinatory tarot. The new printing system is still based around a PNG workflow, but renders using a 6-color matrix that improves the green and orange reproduction. And higher resolution. Very cool stuff, if you're into printing geekery.

--Inkscape now natively supports anti-aliased PNG exports. This eliminates the need to bring the images into an image editor or working at a size different from the final print size. Combined with the new color management extensions, there's no need for other software to lay out the cards.

--Through much time and patience, I compiled a specialized color palette that I could use to replicate copyrighted color matching systems that have significance to historical tarot color systems.

--I also did some math to create a color-perception neutral scheme that is designed for high visibility without eyestrain - something that's becoming more of a concern for me.

Previews live here: https://www.thegamecrafter.com/designers/eoin-keith-boyle