Getting a tarot deck published?

Willow_tree

I would like to make a tarot deck and book. My goal would be to have it published and sold. Does anyone know how I would go about doing that?

Thanx for your help

HudsonGray

LOL! Check through the archives in the Tarot Deck Creation section of the board, we've touched on how to submit to the top 3, how long their deck lists are (up to 3 years on sone), how to publish yourself, how to put one together on computer, etc.

Was there anything specific you wanted to know?

Would you be doing the art yourself or have someone else do it? Would you be writing the book yourself? Was there a theme to your deck or were you looking at reproducing a RW style deck or going off & completely doing your own thing with the cards? Give us a little more info if you can.

Willow_tree

I havent had the time to look through the forum yet *blushes* its nice to know the information is on here.

I'm going to do the art myself, and Id also like to write the book. but thats all the information i can say right now since i havent started it yet.

ive been meaning on doing a tarot deck for a while, but i keep getting distracted with other projects and art shows.

so im going to stay focused this time...lol..but i will keep you posted though

Astra

I'll be looking forward to hearing about and seeing your work in this area. Always nice to add another working artist to the group.

Welcome, and may this forum help you as much as it has me.

rota

I second Astra & Hudson: nice to have another artist interested in tarot here on the boards. Please show us images when you have work to show! We want to see.

dolphingirl

Hi Willow Tree

I love to see other deck artists joining the cause :) Most of the big publishers have pages on their websites for information on submitting artwork for decks.

I can highly recommend self publishing. It is a great way to publish a deck and if you have any questions please feel free to PM me :)

Welcome!
Samantha

blackroseivy

Llewellyn

Llewellyn Publishing is especially good because they welcome working directly with the creators (as opposed to agents).

The 78th Fool

I've only just joined the forum although my deck has been on Aeclectic for some time now. If you want to create a deck - just go for it! The process of creating the deck gets the better of any publishing concerns!! For me, it wouldn't matter if I never got a publisher, I have 1 personal copy and my parents and the deck's dedicatees have copies too. It's my biggest achievement as an artist to date and no-one can take that away from me. However!!! I'm in the process of self publishing so if you need some tips or pointers then get in touch. Good luck with the deck.

baba-prague

Welcome - nice to see you here! Just thought I'd butt in to say that, but on the subject of the question, well we chose to publish both decks ourselves, although we were in fact offered a good publishing deal for the new deck (which we very much appreciated, even though we decided not to go with it). In the end there are definite pros and cons both ways. It depends an awful lot on circumstances and what you want to achieve. Personally, I don't think you can say that one way of publishing is "better" than the other, it's just different, but I know some would disagree.

There is a lot of information here about self-publishing, if that's the way you decide to go. Also a heap of experience to draw on -and deck designers tend to be pretty good about helping each other out with advice.