In a rut ... help?

lalalibra

Oh heck, my Tarot decks (or Tarot genie, or spirit guides, or what you will) are just as dishonest as I am. When I was doing Rachel Pollack's 'Wisdom Readings' about half the time they'd answer a question like, "What turns the Wheel of Fortune?" with the Wheel. "What is Death?" Did you guess Death is Death? That's the insightful reading I got from one of my decks.

I got a good laugh out that! :laugh:

...Although I must say, I think those questions are actually *very* interesting! Seems like an awesome starting point in a reading to me.

I believe we, the readers, breathe the breath of life into our decks, so any feeling you get from them, negative or positive, come from you when all is said and done.

I do agree with this very much. Certainly, our attitude defines our experience.

lalalibra

I'm not studying them. I'm just letting them be with me. In the past I was taught that my worth was tied to what I produced; people didn't want to be with me unless I was doing for them. I can approach my cards with that same working mentality. It's time to just be with people and with cards, without having to earn that time.

I think that's really beautifully said hunter. If that sort of pattern is present in ourselves, there's no reason to believe we wouldn't bring that mentality to the cards. It's great to be aware of that.

I really believe that if we're feeling dissatisfied with anything (i.e., using the cards), then it's so important to start with honestly asking ourselves what we're really looking to get out of it... to see if perhaps we are misplacing our needs. It makes sense to feel off-track when we bring our own heaviness to something that we, deep down, really wish may bring us light.

So we ask ourselves, "What is the 'desired' result? What are we looking to get out of the cards? Does our attitude match the experience we really need?"

We really have to be 'feeling it' to get that desired result, which often means we have to notice the pressures and expectations that we've been unconsciously putting on our experience with the cards... and then learning to let those pressures go; perhaps taking 'baby steps' to get there, and preferably, being rather patient and creative with ourselves about it.

:heart:

hunter

I was thinking more about this as I was running my errands.

I have been taught that gaining skills is superior to feeling pleasure. I have brought that "truth" to my card reading, with disastrous results.

Pixna

I've been reading cards and working with Tarot for a few decades, but I've had my "blah" periods where I just needed to put them away, get on with my life, and not think about them. When I've returned to the Tarot, it's been with a fresh view and renewed interest.

If you're not feeling the cards, why force it? It's like trying to make a relationship go in a direction its not ready to. My suggestion is to lovingly put them away and engage your life in other areas. If/when you're ready to return to them (which could be weeks, months, or even years), they'll be there waiting for you.

Zephyros

If it helps, I rarely read, if at all. I like reading for myself but not for others. People seem to like it so I do it for friends, and I'm not bad at it, either, at least that's what people said (and my own high opinion of myself). But it isn't my passion, although I generally do a card of the day thing, and occasionally something bigger.

Of course, that doesn't stop me from thinking about Tarot for great parts of the day whether at my desk doing actual work or idle contemplation about this or that idea or symbol. I use it in other ways too. Although I am not a big fan of reading, it is still a huge part of my life. The best thing is that there is always new spiritual and intellectual ground to cover. You could spend ten lifetimes thinking about the Fool, a hundred lifetimes studying the esoteric aspects of Tarot or merely admiring the color blue, and it would all be Tarot related. Point is, if you feel something isn't working out, look at it from another angle. If reading is the issue, study the structure. If it is something else, there are infinite ways Tarot can be beneficial.

seedcake

If it helps, I rarely read, if at all. I like reading for myself but not for others. People seem to like it so I do it for friends, and I'm not bad at it, either, at least that's what people said (and my own high opinion of myself). But it isn't my passion, although I generally do a card of the day thing, and occasionally something bigger.

Of course, that doesn't stop me from thinking about Tarot for great parts of the day whether at my desk doing actual work or idle contemplation about this or that idea or symbol. I use it in other ways too. Although I am not a big fan of reading, it is still a huge part of my life. The best thing is that there is always new spiritual and intellectual ground to cover. You could spend ten lifetimes thinking about the Fool, a hundred lifetimes studying the esoteric aspects of Tarot or merely admiring the color blue, and it would all be Tarot related. Point is, if you feel something isn't working out, look at it from another angle. If reading is the issue, study the structure. If it is something else, there are infinite ways Tarot can be beneficial.

I really adore your post. I just wanted to express it. It's really important to let people know that Tarot is something more than only divination. I found myself getting a lot of satisfaction when I read for someone else when I feel I can help somehow. But still, it's just a little part of Tarot. Behind it there's a great world to explore.