Reading for yourself could be dangerous?

Leila_selda

Hi Citrin,

Thank you for your reply.

Good to hear that you had no negative experience in 13 years :)
I've done it for 13 years and so far no negative side effects. So yeah... :p

Leila_selda

Hi shade,

Thank you for your reply and for sharing your wiccan knowledge with me.

So its not really a wiccan believe then thats its not allowed to read for yourself.
Interesting that i hear that its encouraged to read for yourself.

I shall discuss this with my wiccan friend when i see her.

As a Wiccan I can say that we have no precepts against reading for yourself - I would say it's encouraged. Across the religion there are only a few shared philosophies but they include:

"An' if harm none, do what ye will."

And from the charge of the Goddess:

"If that which you seek you find not within yourself, you will never find it without."

That last one for me pretty strongly encourages us to read for ourselves to find answers.

Leila_selda

Hi Bluesun,

Wow are there really people doing readings on medical treatments, and making life and death decisions based on the cards? That is really dangerous!

I would rather listen to the doctors then doing a reading.
I will read your comment cuz your reply has really triggerd me to read it. Wow thats wild if people are doing that.
Yes, this is where it can get dangerous. Read my comment in the thread "Reading Tarot in the Hospital". If one's decision on medical treatment is based on card results, then it can be dangerous. How much does one trust the cards to make life and death decisions on based on them?

Grizabella

Sometimes a person seems to be "protective" of us when they're actually being very controlling. They want to be your only source of information about things that you should, could, or shouldn't do in different circumstances. I'm with those who have said they didn't agree with her that it's dangerous to read for yourself.

However, since she didn't tell you what she meant by that so we can only guess what was meant, it's possible that she only meant that there's danger (of a sort) in reading for yourself because it's hard to be objective. You might want to ask her exactly what she meant if it's really bothering you. I don't believe reading for oneself is at all dangerous, but I do know that for me and many others I've seen commenting about it over the years, it's difficult to be objective about the readings we do for ourselves. If you like doing readings for yourself, then by all means, go ahead and do so. :)

Leila_selda

Hi Barleywine,

Thank you for your reply,

Thats awesome that you have your own practice. Its amazing being able to help people with your gift. Wish i could do that. Meaby one day when im more experienced hihi. Yes then yeah i can imagine that you have less time to read for yourself.

I think its always good to draw daily cards. Behavioral architecture spread ? What kind of spread is that ?

Whahaha why is it dangerous are you such a rebel lol :p
I don't read much for myself any more because my life has settled to the point that I don't get much value from it. I have a small-scale professional practice now, and I have my participation here to keep me busy as well, so except for the daily draw I've been doing to test my "behavioral architecture" spread, I don't bother with it. The only danger might be in taking my own advice! :joke:

Leila_selda

Hi S.B.

Yeah i can imagine that its hard. And specially when you hoped for another outcome.
This was the only issue I encountered reading for myself when I first started on my path. I still sometimes struggle to detach emotionally from such readings.

Leila_selda

Hi Grizabella,

Thank you for your reply,

Well yeah she is my friend and sometimes very motherly and overprotective. Well she is a virgo its in there nature lol.

Yeah i will ask her next time why she thinks its dangerous. Because im still learning tarot. And i would like to know if there are any danger in using them. Specially when your practicing.

Yeah i think there could be some kind of danger when your to over emotinal about a reading and cant see things from an objective perspective.

I only read for myself to practice. I wanna be good skilled if i read for others to help them.
Sometimes a person seems to be "protective" of us when they're actually being very controlling. They want to be your only source of information about things that you should, could, or shouldn't do in different circumstances. I'm with those who have said they didn't agree with her that it's dangerous to read for yourself.

However, since she didn't tell you what she meant by that so we can only guess what was meant, it's possible that she only meant that there's danger (of a sort) in reading for yourself because it's hard to be objective. You might want to ask her exactly what she meant if it's really bothering you. I don't believe reading for oneself is at all dangerous, but I do know that for me and many others I've seen commenting about it over the years, it's difficult to be objective about the readings we do for ourselves. If you like doing readings for yourself, then by all means, go ahead and do so. :)

Tanga

Haven't read through the whole thread yet... but WHAT???

Says a Wiccan (BTW) who reads for herself (in a manner of speaking) and knows other Wiccans who do too.
What on earth was she going on about? It would have been good for her to specify. :joke:

Morwenna

Hi Leila,
So your friend is a Virgo? That explains a lot. :) They're Always Right, You Know. :D

Anyway, practicing on yourself is a good technique. I don't do predictive readings for myself and I haven't had one done for me in years, but I am very fond of analytical readings, such as what the state of my mind really is right now, what are my strengths, what are my weaknesses, what am I trying to avoid, etc. These are things that are less prone to personal bias, as long as you're willing to analyze the readings carefully. Where bias often comes in is if you are asking questions that you hope for a certain answer and get the opposite; it's the same when you're reading for someone else who doesn't want to believe that the reading means what it does. And when you get readings that confirm what you already know or suspect, you know how well your skills are progressing.

But dangerous? No, unless you are reading as often as you can in order to get the kind of answer you want and are thus deluding yourself.