Creating A Major Arcana Tarot Deck - The Antique Anatomy Deck

blackandthemoon

Hi everyone (first time poster, long time lurker)!

I have recently been working on a Major Arcana deck and I would love to hear feedback.

Backstory: I am an artist and I have been creating and selling astrology and tarot themed prints for quite a while and decided to undertake doing a Majors deck based on some collage prints I created a few months ago.

This deck is assembled using vintage images (all public domain/copyright free ones) that are anatomy themed (skeletons). It has been a labour of love, albeit exhausting, to clean and restore so many images.

I am currently waiting on a few sample decks I ordered - trying to decide on finish and a printer I like and then it will be available for preorder.

If this sounds like a deck that appeals to you or has peaked your interest you can see progress images on instagram @blackandthemoon (you can google instagram and my username on your browser if you don't have the app) - I should have an official writeup on my website www.blackandthemoon.com in a week or so as well.

Thanks so much!

p.s if anyone has experience with doing a pre-order for tarot decks I would love to hear about your experiences.

Arimaya

interesting!

starburst_au

Love the deck!

Just wondering why you decided to use skeletons? Was it because you literally wanted a 'bare' kind of deck?

Also love your Etsy store, you're very talented!

Cheers,
SB

blackandthemoon

Thanks so much :)

There is definitely a "bare bones" aspect to it.
Another part of it is my childhood obsession with natural & medical history. I always loved the way the skeletons were drawn in everyday situations and with expression (mind you i also altered this to fit what i wanted)

JayBee

You have a fellow provincial admirer here. I look forward to your completing your deck.

(In case you aren't aware, you have a few kindred spirits out there, art- and deck-wise, who had successful funding campaigns. Check out the Tarot of Bones via Indiegogo and the Wooden Tarot and Earthbound Oracle via Kickstarter.)

blackandthemoon

Thankyou!

I bought the Wooden Tarot actually. Absolutely love it!

blackandthemoon

i LOVE Ruysch! I wish that his works were more publicly accessible for viewing.