"common" stones

Eissej

It occured to me a little bit ago that I have never run across any information about the energy of "common" stones like slate and limestone in my research into stone energies. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know a commonly accepted thoery on this?

My thought (I'm thinking in particular of my slate peice that lives in my magic space and the limestone I wear as a necklace) is that they feel much less active than other kinds of stone. However, they are much more earthy than stones like citrine or tiger eye or even quartz. Although, I do like the earthyness of the plain, noncrystaline quartz I find in the woods. Most of the stones I find in the creek or on the hillside are like this, quiet, earthy, friendly stones. Not really ones I'd try to do anything with, just nice to have around.

Perhaps I'm just missing some really obvious thing. Perhaps I'm just too attatched to the woods and anything that reminds me of them is good for me. Any one else have any ideas?

Thanks for your thoughts! Eissej

Wildchild

There's a really great book called "Love is in the Earth" by Melody. She has zillions of stones listed...common ones too.

RAVENAL

stones

There is another direction to take in reading/learning about stones..." Rocks and Minerals"...Simon and Schuster's guide to...is an excellent source...they have one on gemstones too...colored pictures and a wealth of chemical...mineralogical...scientific...etc information...I especially like the section under each heading which describe and draw the crystaline structure or chemical makeup...helpful in understanding how the energy flows thru, and it's possible uses...also the listings of occurance and enviornment which give more clues...it's chemical and physical properties are headings along with how it's used commercially today...The Melody Book is also good reading...but for a deeper understanding and background any good mineralogical guide is key...

And I also love the stones I find in nature when hiking... canoeing... camping...gardening...etc...the ones you mentioned do have different energy because of all of the above reasons...rocks /stones are aggregates of one or more minerals (see below)and sometimes non crystaline substances ...(the limestone and slate...)these are also softer more porous stones...more receptive...how they were formed within the earth...has a bearing...looking at the structure... slate is laid in horizontal layers...soothing, foundational...and the limestone is made up of many tiny/fine particles both mineral and organic...a blending of many energys and very complementary...

the others you mentioned are minerals and the foundations of the stones (see above)...the minerals are crystaline substances formed by natural and inorganic processes...they are the essential minerals that make up the earth...the 3 you mention are quartzs...and quartz has piezoelectric and pyroelectric properties...they also have polarities... which all combine to give them their very energetic natures...they are energy transformers on a large scale...

have fun collecting and enjoying...I love the outdoor energy and natural beauty they bring into my home and often set them in my houseplants and corners of a room...my animal companions love to rest against them too...I have some in my car and under my bed...and we've made some into fountains...etc...they are fond memories of where I found them...

Kyrielle

There are no wrong stones to be attracted to. Some people like the fancy stuff, some people like the plainer-looking rocks. All types of rock have energy, and unfortunately, most books leave out the less flashy stones. Melody's book is the best for this, even though her language can be rather obtuse.

-- Kyrielle

zorya

i'm very attracted to 'common' stones as well. i often find a 'feeling' attached to them. sometimes, if a stone calls to me, i will find it is in, or has within it, the shape of an animal or other symbol that speaks to me.

rostie

i'm very attracted to 'common' stoned too, since i'm little i'm collecting all sort of stones...from the mountains, the lakes, sea, wouds...just love them all :) when i was ten i bought my first crystal, a beautifull lavender-amethist, i still have 'em on my desk...love all those energies...if i just found stones somewhere i could look hours to them, they were my little tressures ;) still are ;) also am very fond of fossiles...and shells...i just adore musselshells...soooo beautifull...

New River

being a scorpio and a fixed water person i find so much soothing energy in river rocks. they have been tumbled and smoothed over their time in the water, going with the flow. they have taught me that going with the flow smooths the rough edges of life and makes things easier to deal with.

i find 'common' stones everywhere i go and have them all over my house like some of the others here were saying. i never question their desire to be a part of my environment and have never had one go 'bad' on me.

i think that if we find a stone that calls to us and study it with the intent of knowing that they each have a lesson to teach us, whether it is from what they are made up of, the shape they have taken, markings on them, or the place they were found, there is always a lesson there for us to learn.

yay stones!

love and blessings,
New River

HudsonGray

I've never thought about the 'common' stones before. I'm in lower Wisconsin, so our 'common' stones are all pushed down from the Arctic by the glaciers, or the sandstone understrata that didn't get scoured clean. When stones are displaced like that, can they react differently than if they were found in their natural placement/setting? I mean--hey, they got tumbled in ice & snow, dragged along the frozen underground till they stopped when the glaciers stopped moving, then sank when the ice melted. They're displaced, ground down, cracked, fractured & then buried under new dirt. Rather an indignity for a rock which isn't supposed to actually move much.

RAVENAL

common stones

Hudson Gray...
I live among the Appalachian Mountains and the Catskills...and much of the local granite and schist is also ground and shattered by the glacial activity of many cycles...we hike and canoe among the mountains and lakes and invariably bring home treasures...I love the beauty of these stones...large and small...beat up and broken... and as parts of the ancient mountains their energy is still very apparent...comforting...there is something so very timeless and magestic about them...survivors of the ongoing natural cycles of our mother earth ...I place these into the garden and honor them at home wherever I can find room...

Hedera

Some people like the fancy stuff, some people like the plainer-looking rocks. All types of rock have energy, and unfortunately, most books leave out the less flashy stones. Melody's book is the best for this, even though her language can be rather obtuse.

Kyrielle,
do you have the book you are talking about? If so, could you maybe post the exact title, and especially the ISBN-number? I did a search on Amazon, and she has written at least 4 or 5 books on the same subject, with very similar titles.
It seems to be a series, and I am really only interested in the part with the 'common' stones in it, because those are the ones that speak the most to me.

Thanks!