The snake as friendly?

beekie

I pulled a couple cards to describe someone...

The snake and the dog

Since dog follows the snake does that mean that the snake is actually a good, trustworthy character?

And if it were the other way, dog - snake, that it would mean this friend were really out to get you?

mysticsphere

i think it may depend on what card meanings you use.

For some, snake can be just a woman. So Snake Dog could be a friendly woman, who is perhaps cunning and smart.

Personally, i use Snake as "complications or problems". So Snake Dog as a description, to me, would describe someone whose loyalties are very complicated, think a person who is good at heart, but may turn on you or talk crap about you too.

Dog Snake would be a friendly person on the outside but perhaps with a darker side.

That is just my personal opinion, anyways!

GotH

Maybe they come off as a conniving or have the appearance as such but are really a good person.

Teheuti

It depends, in part, on if you are using the Subject+Modifier convention or not and traditional meanings or not. I follow the convention and the tradition unless there are strong indicators otherwise.

The traditional meanings are:
Snake - "is a sign of misfortune that is ruled by whether the card is close to or far from the person, but it always brings along hypocrisy, treason and loss."
Dog - "very near, assures a faithful one; friendship; very far it indicates treason; surrounded by clouds it warns one not to trust those that call themselves our friends. ["clouds" can indicate any negative card.]

So we have Treason+Treason. This person, probably a woman (Queen of Clubs), is not to be trusted. I would consider whether it is someone trying to ingratiate themselves to you for nefarious reasons (and does not have to be a friend). This person may act nice for bad reasons.

However, if these cards were surrounded by other good cards (Sun, Moon, Bouquet, Key, etc.) then I would consider whether the more modern meaning of Snake as a "wise woman" who is friendly and loyal wouldn't trump the old meanings. I had a Grand Tableau with precisely this situation and the Snake person - a woman - was, indeed, a very wise and loyal friend (who wears glasses - another modern convention).

To me, Dog+Snake would mean to distrust someone I consider a friend - a treasonous or hypocritical friend. The person wouldn't necessarily be a woman.

Snake can also be a rival. If the Dog/Snake combination came up near your significant other, I'd wonder if your partner is cheating on you with your (or his/her) best friend.

Padma

I have had Snake and Dog come up as a woman I knew who had a dog. :)

Sar

The snake and the dog

Since dog follows the snake does that mean that the snake is actually a good, trustworthy character?

And if it were the other way, dog - snake, that it would mean this friend were really out to get you?

Nope. Snake is not friendly at all, something is up with your friend.

monisina

The snake and the dog

Snake describes person as jealous, envious or seductive or manipulative. Or someone working in pharmacy or with poisons.
But in combo Snake + Dog with Snake as first card - problems/complication with friend/friendship or someone has jealousy/envy on your friendship with another person.
Dog + Snake = complicate friend or nefarious and manipulative person who behave at the first sight friendly. Dog means also someone you have known yet - thus complicated or manipulative or seductive person you have known.

danielnogo

If dog is followed by snake, think of a friend bringing a poisonous snake to your party, you wouldnt keep them around as a friend for long.

If snake is followed by dog, it can mean loyalty being poisoned, they are your friend, but a snake is behind the scenes somewhere.

Lady of cups

It means that there is a traitor among your friends