Reasons We DON'T buy certain Lenormands

danielnogo

Question: If you love everything else about a lenormand but it has one card that might stray from these rules, is that a dealbreaker for you?

The reason I ask is that for my scythe card in my storybook lenormand, I looked EVERYWHERE for a clean public domain scythe image and just could not find one that fit my deck theme, so my compromise is I have a small boy holding a huge scythe, here's the pic:

jHena7i.png

The last thing I want to do is alienate people because of one image, but sometimes finding these images is like finding a needle in a haystack, the sites I use to find these have terrible search engines, generally the images are named "12page.png" and have no indication in the title whats inside the pic, so this was the only scythe image I could find. Is it a dealbreaker?

greatdane

My personal answer, Daniel...yes

A regular Scythe can convey different images to different readers, they can read just the SCYTHE as they will. Now, with that said, I guess I could use my main meaning, a quick cut here, as it ending a year, but it's not really how I envision how it shows up in most of my readings. But yes, ONE card in Lenormand can be a deal breaker, when in tarot, not so much. But again, that's just me.

avalonian

One thing that ruins a Lenormand for me is when the heart card looks like the heart has been removed as part of an autopsy (don't know how else to describe it!). I know that sort of image is in some of the older decks, but it just makes me think "ick!".

Also, if the Rider is dressed like he is going fox-hunting. Doesn't convey the meaning of the card for me at all.

:)

danielnogo

Good news :D

I was able to clone the boy out of the picture and it came out clean enough where I'd be comfortable releasing it :D

I am going to include both versions.

Where would I be without photoshop?

qdY601I.png

greatdane

NICE JOB, DANIEL!

THAT card is an easy reader for SCYTHE for me. The baby and hourglass denoting an ending and beginning of a NY just didn't do it for me although it was very cute.

FLizarraga

Good news :D

I was able to clone the boy out of the picture and it came out clean enough where I'd be comfortable releasing it :D

Yes, Daniel, VERY nice! Love the aged background. :D

danielnogo

Awesome! Glad you guys like it!

If you like this card idk if you've seen but my deck is coming out in two weeks I'm just doing all the finishing touches like making sure the cards don't alienate people by straying to far from tradition without at least including traditional cards. I'm also gonna release a version with no titles and bigger insets.

As far as what turns me off to a deck, one major thing is the size, the first deck I ever bought and the only one I could find in my town had cards the size of tarot cards doing a grand tabluea was a nightmare of epic proportions, the artwork was also extremely ugly, but I was so desperate to get a lenormand deck that I bought it. I should have just done what I have right now, a regular playing deck with just the name and number and a scribbled depiction of the object in black sharpie, works like a charm.

I'm less a traditionalist because I don't think the images matter really in the slightest, besides maybe getting you into a mystical state of consciousness

greatdane

GOOD POINT, Daniel!

I don't do GT's so I can't even imagine what trying to use LARGE cards would be like. The space it would take up. Yikes.

danielnogo

Would it bother you to have a crossroads card that is just a signpost with the pointers? I currently have an actual crossroads but its not very good and the illustration I have of the sign post is amazing.