Recommend a beginner some Lenormand tools?

Barleywine

I saw there the Gilded Reverie Lenormand. Would you say it is good as a deck? Or should I keep away? I like Ciro Marchetti's tarot decks, am wondering if the Lernormand deck is good.

Personally I like it, it's the one I use most. The images are beautifully rendered while retaining enough of the tradition to be immediately recognizable. It doen't have as much of the digital sterility that I've seen in other CGI decks. Ciro did excellent work with this one.

Barleywine

What about Under the Roses Lenormand? The one available at Bookdepository has or has not keywords on the lower part of the cards? I don't like keywords being printed on cards. I find it immersion breaking, for a lack of better words.

I can't comment on that one, I've been working backward from the Gilded Reverie to more traditional, historical decks. There has been considerable comment about the keywords being worked into the images but I've never seen the deck first-hand and it's hard to tell from the scans.

Tag_jorrit

Since Lenormand is not read like Tarot you don't read the art, you read the symbols which do not change meanings from one deck to another. From my own experience I find that the best decks to learn with are the ones with uncluttered faces, with no distractions from the symbols.

If you google "Lenormand Card Images" you can find a broad array of card possibilities and you can see what I mean by visual clutter. If you have been a tarot reader you will probably be drawn to the very complex, artsy decks. But as your reading of Lenormand matures you will probably find that the more simplistic the cards, the easier it is to read with them.

Find a deck that appeals to you and go for it!

Barleywine

Since Lenormand is not read like Tarot you don't read the art, you read the symbols which do not change meanings from one deck to another. From my own experience I find that the best decks to learn with are the ones with uncluttered faces, with no distractions from the symbols.

That's my understanding, too. But as a trained artist I'm of two minds on this. From a utilitarian standpoint, an unadorned, even severe, image is certainly all that's needed to read. From an aesthetic standpoint I like to see enough artistry to be able to tell that The Fox is a fox and not an over-sized rat, a criticism I read about one historical deck. Subtle colors and spare images are still my emerging preference, though, even past the learning stage.

Barleywine

If you are quite serious about wanting to learn to read the cards, without having to struggle through reading the excellent books, these courses were designed and effectively deliver the shortest route to learning the cards.

Thanks for posting this link. I really like the spirit in which they're approaching it.

"The new popular movement threatens the old craft of traditional card reading."

That is, the modern "quck and easy" pursuit of instant, superficial messages undermines the old ways. It seems to be a symptom of the "instant gratification" culture we now live in. If these courses truly live up to that sentiment, I'll look into them.

Padma

You could also try the youtube videos by Donnaleigh (Tarot Tribe channel. )

She has several videos, starting at the very first beginner level to doing the Grand Tableau.

:)

lalalibra

EDIT 2: What about Under the Roses Lenormand? The one available at Bookdepository has or has not keywords on the lower part of the cards? I don't like keywords being printed on cards. I find it immersion breaking, for a lack of better words.

I'm actually just beginning to learn Lenormand myself. I've felt drawn to Lenormand for a long time, but I decided to spend a couple years focusing just on Tarot (and some oracles) because I didn't want to juggle too much at one time. But recently, I finally jumped into Lenormand by purchasing the Under the Roses Lenormand on a whim. And so this is what I can share with you about my own process so far, and subsequently, give you my opinion on potentially learning with this deck...

First, in reading through the little white book, there are multiple key words provided for each card, but I noticed that some of these key words provided were either contradictory or there were multiple cards with similar meanings. I then realized that this is not at all in part due to any kind of sloppiness in execution, rather, it's explained that the LWB features some key words taken from multiple different traditions, and if you're a beginner, to "select 1 to 3 keywords" for each card... So this is very important to do; to choose your keywords, decide on them, and then to be absolutely consistent with them in practice in order to have clarity and consistency in your readings (of course, expanding those keywords may come naturally, but it might be better to focus on keeping it simple at first, to just have a jumping-off point to start with). I didn't want to rely on the LWB to choose my keywords though, for to pick and choose myself seemed to feel incomplete (like picking letters out of the alphabet, how could I be sure those letters would be enough to really speak a full language when in combination?) and I wanted to follow more of a tried-and-true structure to start with, something that was demonstrated as functional by a fellow human being... So I watched DonnaLeigh's youtube channel (starting with her 1-card meanings video) and I think that her channel is just phenomenal for getting started. So I do second that recommendation, she's very helpful! :)

So as for the Under the Roses deck, I think it's a really lovely deck artistically and not a bad choice to learn with per se. But I personally have come to feel drawn to getting a more classical deck to continue my learning with (such as French Cartomancy or the Blue Owl). This is due to personal preference of course, but that preference has reasoning: there are some slight changes in the Under the Roses deck. They are not necessarily difficult to adjust to, and I thought I wouldn't mind them, but I ended up wanting to continue learning with a deck that doesn't have those changes. (For example, I would rather it be "The Book" rather than "The Journal," and "Broom & Whip" rather than "The Whip," I would rather "The Crossroads" show two paths rather than three, I would rather have the ring in "The Ring" be larger and have a more prominent focus.. same thing with "The Snake," I would rather it be just a picture of a snake rather than a snake off to the side on someone's shoulder.) So it's little things like that. It really doesn't veer too far away as some other decks apparently can, but I find that, as a beginner, it ended up not being what I was looking for personally. A lot of reviews says it's a good option for a beginner, and I don't think I would have known how I felt about it before buying it (unless I actually took the time to study one-card meaning before buying a deck, which I wish I had done... but like Tarot, I guess I thought it wouldn't matter too much, that I could just grab a deck and go).

The Under The Roses deck on BookDepository is the mass-market edition printed by US Games and so it's the same one as shown in this review ...So it doesn't have the keywords on the bottom as seen in some of the earlier self-published versions, but it does have some faint keywords in the background of the actual images. They're faint enough to ignore, but they are there if you look closely, and it's easier to see on some of the cards more than others, especially with adequate lighting. But I don't particularly like when the keywords don't match what I'm working with (like I can clearly see the word "mind" on "The Tree" card, and that's not a word I'm using for it. same thing with "cycles" on "The Moon" card, it's not relevant for me).

Anyway, I've really gone into what I perceive as the cons of this deck, and I probably sound like I hate it - I don't! It just ended up being not exactly what I prefer. I think later on I will use it more when I (hopefully) get more used to Lenormand, but right now, it's not my favorite. Most of the images are super clear, it's just some of them that aren't the best for actual reading, at least in my experience. I'm sure there are others for whom it works wonderfully. Everyone's different.

I've yet to decide on a book, although I think I'm leaning toward getting, "The Essential Lenormand" by Rana George.

AkiraOkihu

Thanks a lot for all your recommendations!

Tag_jorrit

For an example of the style of Bjorn Meuris' presentation in his Lenormand course, here is chapter from his advanced Method of Distance course where he highlights the Lilies in a Grand Tableau.

I have just finished going through this last module of the course. For me his teaching style completely demystifies the traditional methods and answers some questions I didn't even know I had. Have a look.

Once you understand the basic meanings and have some experience with the cards, the way that he shows the interrelationships with regard to the locations of the cards within the spreads helps immensely.