Best Methods/Books/Formulas for Learning Playing Card Reading

Satori

Thank you very much rif! What a thoughtful post.

Last night I was just dumping threads to look at later, so I don't even remember seeing that someone recommended Kapherus, or which post that was. But I'll be on the lookout for it.

I agree with you that just transferring the minors to the PC's is cheating, I mean in a pinch I suppose you could use a meaning or two, if nothing else seemed to be making sense or in the case of a brain fog and not remembering the PC meaning. If the PC's didn't have such a rich history of their own this might not feel so weird. But why go to the trouble of learning a new system if you are just transferring in another system?

I also agree with what you are saying about learning someone else's playing card system. I somehow thought that there were one or two sort of historical approaches that were fairly well known.

The other thing I have wondered is if the Lenormand system everyone was using by Sylvie Steinbach expands to a 52 card system usable for the playing cards. I don't have the book, but have thought about getting it. It seems that Pheonix Rising and Aristede use that system almost exclusively, from what I can see.

Satori

Well I have the Playing Card Oracles, and I did see my post in Lee's thread way back in 2007 where I excitedly tell everyone I have the deck...lol. I have to say the new elemental correspondances are different...apparently I never got far in the book to see that.

OK. well now a decision needs to be made. Work with the PC Oracles or opt for another system.

firefrost

I've just ordered the one recommended by Le Fanu.

I bought the Jonathan Dee deck many, many moons ago, and although I didn't keep it long, I did copy quite a bit of stuff from the book before letting it go.

So because I know Le Fanu, and Dee served me well years ago, I have high hopes!

rif

firefrost said:
I've just ordered the one recommended by Le Fanu.

Are you referring to the John Dee book? You'll have to let us know what you think of his Lenormand chapters as well.

Satori said:
The other thing I have wondered is if the Lenormand system everyone was using by Sylvie Steinbach expands to a 52 card system usable for the playing cards. I don't have the book, but have thought about getting it. It seems that Pheonix Rising and Aristede use that system almost exclusively, from what I can see.

Not really... it's only based on 36 cards. But as Lenormand originally stems from PCs, you could just discard the rest of the cards and mark a deck of PCs with the appropriate symbols, if you really wanted to. :) John Dee actually suggests this if someone can't, or doesn't want to, but a Lenormand deck.

firefrost

rif said:
Are you referring to the John Dee book? You'll have to let us know what you think of his Lenormand chapters as well.

Yes, that's the book I've ordered, and I will!

cardlady22

Satori said:
I agree with you that just transferring the minors to the PC's is cheating, I mean in a pinch I suppose you could use a meaning or two, if nothing else seemed to be making sense or in the case of a brain fog and not remembering the PC meaning. If the PC's didn't have such a rich history of their own this might not feel so weird. But why go to the trouble of learning a new system if you are just transferring in another system?
The authors that I know from the PC side of the fence give very adamant cautions not to mix Tarot into it.

cardlady22

Books I own- miscellaneous systems

The Playing Card Oracles A Source Book for Divination by Ana Cortez
Two Sisters Press, 2002 ~ ISBN: 0-9719861-0-X
*new edition published by US Games
Diamonds- autumn, fire
Clubs- summer, air
Hearts- spring, water
Spades- winter, earth

Card Reader's Handbook by Regina Russell coming from ros 6/14!

The Message Your Secrets in the Cards by Deborah Leigh (Ketner- Personal Prophesy)
O Books, 2008 ~ ISBN: 978-184694095-8

Cardology The True Meaning of the Cards by M.F. "Chance" Wyatt
Blue Dolphin Publishing, 1999 ~ ISBN: 1-57733-031-5
Hearts- spring, water
Clubs- summer, air
Diamonds- autumn, earth
Spades- winter, fire

It's In The Cards by Marthy Jones
Weiser Books, 1984 ~ ISBN: 0-87728-600-0
*offers an eccentric/unusual Calendar Map for card of the day; suit changes with zodiac signs (approx.)
Clubs- spring, fire signs
Hearts- summer, water signs
Spades- autumn, air signs
Diamonds- winter, earth signs

The Giant Book of Card Divination by Jeanne Ruland
Sterling Publishing Co, 2005 ~ ISBN: 1-4027-1804-7
*a fabulous Encyclopedia of info on spreads!

Sabian Symbols in Card Reading by Delle Fowler
Trafford Publishing, 2000 ~ ISBN: 1-55212-420-7
*not the 360-degree zodiac version

Gurdjieff: Cosmic Secrets by Russell A. Smith
THE DOG, 1993 ~ ISBN: 0-9643031-0-8
*associates Playing Cards with the octaves

Astrology and the Cards by E.H. Bailey (ed. Iain McLaren-Owens)
Astro-Cards Enterprises, 1994 ~ ISBN: 1-885500-08-4
Hearts- fire
Diamonds- earth
Clubs- air
Spades- water
Kings- cardinal
Queens- fixed
Jacks- mutable

Symbolism by Milton A. Pottenger
Kessinger Publishing, (reprint eds) ~ ISBN: 1-5645-9464-5
*covers a wide range: Tarot Major Arcana, as well as Playing Cards
even mentions Olney Richmond!

cardlady22

Books I own- Magi/Richmond material

I'll be adding to this as I can.

What's Your Card? by Arne Lein
1978, META-CARD First Printing (no ISBN)
LC Catalog 75-31296
A couple of years back, a Canadian library had this in circulation, which I checked out through InterLibraryLoan to be sure if I wanted to get my own copy.

Sacred Symbols of the Ancients by Edith L. Randall & Florence Evylinn Campbell
1989, DeVorss & Co. ~ ISBN: 0-87516-487-0
out-of-print; comb-bound expanded edition traded to ros 6/14

The Mystic Test Book, Centennial (6th) ed. by Olney H. Richmond
ISBN: 1-885500-13-0
edited by Iain McLaren-Owens; self-published, comb-bound- 387 pgs
extensive notes, appendices and examples

Love Cards by Robert Camp
1997, Sourcebooks ~ ISBN: 1-57071-145-3
has a newer edition with corrected tables of data

Destiny Cards by Robert Camp
1998, Sourcebooks ~ ISBN: 1-57071-189-5
has a newer edition

Iain McLaren-Owens ~ self-published, prolific author!
Astro-Cards Enterprises
aka Magian Cardology
There are too many to list, but I have almost everything of his! My favorites are:
Astro-Cards Quarterly set; back issues 1-13
Magian Cardology Card Chart Tables + Cycle Dates (CD version of PDFs)

Thomas Morrell ~ self-published; uses Chaldean number to planet correspondences
Awakening Visions - Mystic Quadrate System

The Master Book of Prediction, Book One
2000, ISBN: 0-9665163-2-X
the instructions and plates
The Master Book of Prediction, Book Two
1999, ISBN: 0-9665163-5-4
the interpretations
Planetary Progressions in the Mystic Quadrates
1997 revised 2001, ISBN: 0-9665163-0-5
larger periods of time
The Card of Your Name
1998, ISBN: 0-9665163-1-1
equates each of the letters of the English alphabet to a card; uppercase & lowercase for a total of 52

The Power of Playing Cards by Geri Sullivan and Saffi Crawford
2004, Fireside ~ ISBN: 0-7432-5057-5
a modern-day version of the information presented by Lein and/or Randall & Campbell

Cards of Destiny A Birthday Book and Daily Divination Guide by Sharon Jeffers
2001/3/6, Crossing Press ~ ISBN: 978-1-58091-176-4

Phoenix Rising

Hey Satori,

I've looked at most playing card systems. The good thing with playing cards, is you can take them anywhere, buy them anywhere. if you're reading them, people think you're playing solitaire or something, and playing cards will last forever.

I used to have alot of correspondences with Deborah leigh author of Personal prophecy, and Christopher Littlefield another teacher of the Destiny cards by Richmond Olney. Playing cards certainly have a mystery to them. One of my best friends has read them for 30 years, very accurate. She never changed method or spreads that her grandmother taught her, in all the time she read them.

So have fun in investigating the different methods!

Phoenix Rising

Bernice

Satori said:
Well I have the Playing Card Oracles, and I did see my post in Lee's thread way back in 2007 where I excitedly tell everyone I have the deck...lol. I have to say the new elemental correspondances are different...apparently I never got far in the book to see that.

OK. well now a decision needs to be made. Work with the PC Oracles or opt for another system.
Satoris' post #12:

New elemental correspondances? How new are they satori?

Bee :)

EDIT: Time has gone by... Now I know what you mean Satori. I have the book & card set. The elements have an unfamiliar assignment. Not getting on with this system :(