TOADies Anonymous.

CharlotteK

Back on the Wagon again. I scored some ebay bargains that I do not remotely need, and also a not so bargainous German Roots of Asia, which I convinced myself I totally needed even though I won't be able to understand the LBW. Sigh. I've had to go out and buy 2 big underbed plastic storage boxes to put all my decks and books in. So that's it now, giving myself another 3 month target and am sure I can beat my 6 week abstinence record.

Falcor

I am convincing myself not to order Raven's Prophesy tarot. I have enough decks. No need for more...=[

SilverFirePrime

So I get Tarot of Dreams, love it, and the deck seems to be doing well for me so far. But I keep on looking for other decks. I think the powers that be are telling me to chill out for a bit because I fell in love with the Bohemian Cat tarot....then looked up how much it costs.

Booklioness

So I get Tarot of Dreams, love it, and the deck seems to be doing well for me so far. But I keep on looking for other decks. I think the powers that be are telling me to chill out for a bit because I fell in love with the Bohemian Cat tarot....then looked up how much it costs.

That is the weakness we all (at least me!) fall for; stay strong. I wonder... how many does it take to qualify for too much? When is it considered hoarding decks? Is it a case by case situation? And of course, the budget has a lot to do with it, but I was not really including that for this question. :/

barefootlife

That is the weakness we all (at least me!) fall for; stay strong. I wonder... how many does it take to qualify for too much? When is it considered hoarding decks? Is it a case by case situation? And of course, the budget has a lot to do with it, but I was not really including that for this question. :/

I think it starts being collecting (or hoarding, depending) when you aren't using the decks, just buying them. There's nothing wrong with collecting, if you can afford it, but just buying things to satisfy the want to buy things can be a bad habit no matter what it is. For me personally, if I buy decks too quickly, I don't get to know them because there's too much shiny.

CharlotteK

I think it starts being collecting (or hoarding, depending) when you aren't using the decks, just buying them. There's nothing wrong with collecting, if you can afford it, but just buying things to satisfy the want to buy things can be a bad habit no matter what it is. For me personally, if I buy decks too quickly, I don't get to know them because there's too much shiny.

Yes, this. Especially the buying in response to wanting more, or chasing "the one". I now have more decks than I can remember the names of and I certainly don't use them all. And I am reluctant to let go of ones I don't use - 'just in case'. I think I'm a natural hoarder. I have clothes in my wardrobe that I've had for 20 years that I don't wear. And you should see my yarn stash 🙄 Still. It helps to know what you are! Deck of the Week is a great thread for helping me work through decks I might consistently overlook, which helps make sure I'm not just buying and stashing.

euripides

Yes, this. Especially the buying in response to wanting more, or chasing "the one".

in open source software we call it 'distro hopping'. Linux is a computer operating system, like Windows XP or Apple Mac's OSX. There's loads of variations, with different 'look and feel' and different built-in software packages. They're all shiny, fun, have their own communities, different features... and each has their own pros and cons. So you switch from one to the other, always looking for The One.

I think we're kind of wired to be a bit dissatisfied.

Snowhunter

Tyldwick

I've been going back and forth on the Tyldwick for a year. I cancelled an order this week after a moment of weakness but I'm still so tempted to get it. I thought to myself, I'm likely going to buy at least 2-3 more $50ish/decks this year so why don't I just get this one and be done with it. The images are so beautiful and haunting but I have a difficult time getting anything out of the cards online. What if I have it in my hands? It's the same with all the other decks I have. No, I don't need it! I have three shoeboxes full of decks I'm not using, and I already set aside several decks to focus on for the next few months exclusively. You know what, just writing this out helped.

Booklioness

I've been going back and forth on the Tyldwick for a year. I cancelled an order this week after a moment of weakness but I'm still so tempted to get it. I thought to myself, I'm likely going to buy at least 2-3 more $50ish/decks this year so why don't I just get this one and be done with it. The images are so beautiful and haunting but I have a difficult time getting anything out of the cards online. What if I have it in my hands? It's the same with all the other decks I have. No, I don't need it! I have three shoeboxes full of decks I'm not using, and I already set aside several decks to focus on for the next few months exclusively. You know what, just writing this out helped.

I'm the same way... have to have them in my hands.That last deck I got, I still have wrapped up. I'm making myself save it to look at later.

zhadee

Application

Help! :bugeyed:

Last month, I bought 5 (!) new decks. 2x Tarot, 1x Tarot d'Eltynne, 1x oracle cards, 1x Tarockcards.
It's getting worse - I think about buying Playing Cards! Regardless of having already several unused decks sitting in the drawer, and 3 decks in use, I cannot stop thinking about getting that cute mini deck one may use to do Patience. These come with a soft pink background. I HATE soft pink. I love mini decks. I already have a mini deck, but it's not cute.
I try to glue myself to the computer to avoid leaving the house and visiting that shop which is luckily in some distance.

I only have one mind, one approach. Why on earth can't I stop getting new decks?! Playing Cards all look the same (in essence), but I cannot stop drooling over the various sets shown in blogs!

Help!