Scholarly books about tarot

Freddie

'The Qabalistic Tarot' by Robert Wang.

Freddie

Grizabella

Tarot Wisdom by Rachel Pollack would be an excellent reference for you, too. I find it extremely detailed, interesting and informative on all aspects of Tarot. It's scholarly but with a really readable slant, I guess you could say. I definitely recommend it as a "must have" for any Tarot library. I like it even better than her first book on Tarot.

Winterchild

A Wicked Pack of Cards - Ronald Decker Michael Dummett
The History of the Occult Tarot - Ronald Decker & Michael Dummett
The Tarot - History, Symbolism & Divination - Robert M. Place
The Fool's Journey - Robert M Place

Plus the others already mentioned :)

Teheuti

For Jung, I agree that starting with Man and His Symbols is the best place for a beginning Jungian to start. It was written near the end of his life with the intent of presenting his most developed ideas to the general (educated) public. An understanding of Jung's basic terms regarding the parts of the psyche, individuation, archetypes and the collective unconscious is essential and that's what Man and His Symbols attempts to do. Personally I like Jung and the Tarot by Sallie Nichols mostly because I think it is the kind of book that either Jung or Marie-Louise von Franz (a major Jungian) would have written on the subject, rather than being a book "about" Jung.

I have two articles at: http://marygreer.wordpress.com/2008/03/31/carl-jung-and-tarot/

Winterchild

For Jung, I agree that starting with Man and His Symbols is the best place for a beginning Jungian to start. It was written near the end of his life with the intent of presenting his most developed ideas to the general (educated) public. An understanding of Jung's basic terms regarding the parts of the psyche, individuation, archetypes and the collective unconscious is essential and that's what Man and His Symbols attempts to do. Personally I like Jung and the Tarot by Sallie Nichols mostly because I think it is the kind of book that either Jung or Marie-Louise von Franz (a major Jungian) would have written on the subject, rather than being a book "about" Jung.

I have two articles at: http://marygreer.wordpress.com/2008/03/31/carl-jung-and-tarot/

This is interesting. I have the Sallie Nichols book, when I first started reading it I wondered if it was a little light on actual Jung and maybe trying to make it fit, but that was not a thorough read through, just a few chunks here and there. I asked a few other Jungy aquaintances and they tended to agree, mind you they were not tarot scholars really. Thanks Mary, I will definitely give it another look.

Teheuti

I have the Sallie Nichols book, when I first started reading it I wondered if it was a little light on actual Jung and maybe trying to make it fit, but that was not a thorough read through, just a few chunks here and there.
Jung is all about application of the principles and Sallie Nichols has it down. It's not that more couldn't be said, but that's the joy of working with symbols from a Jungian perspective - they keep opening up the more you work with them, and a personal interpretation will vary from a cultural or archetypal one (although the relationship is usually apparent). Be aware that Nichols focuses on the Marseille Major Arcana with just scattered comments on the Rider-Waite-Smith images.

foolMoon

Tarot Wisdom by Rachel Pollack would be an excellent reference for you, too. I find it extremely detailed, interesting and informative on all aspects of Tarot. It's scholarly but with a really readable slant, I guess you could say. I definitely recommend it as a "must have" for any Tarot library. I like it even better than her first book on Tarot.

I like this book. Before description of each cards, it shows good quality scans of the cards from various different decks, which is also so cool.

Zephyros

Ironically, one of the best books for Tarot I've ever read isn't a Tarot book at all. It's The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell. It deals with mythology, mainly in the shared ideas and archetypes of stories from all over the world.

Richard

The main problem with Wang's Qabalistic Tarot might be that it lacks the objectivity that would qualify it to be called scholarly from an academic perspective. It was written by a believer.

Personally, I think that some (perhaps many) tarot phenomena are examples of synchronicity. There are lots of scholarly sources about Jung's theory of synchronicity. There is also a huge amount of BS out there, so caveat lector.