Books on Symbolic Thought??

tarotot_yeezus

I'm not sure if this is a Tarot question specifically, but I just finished Scott Cunningham's book "Divination for Beginners" just to explore and stuff and in it he talks a lot about symbolic thought. I would like to deepen my understanding of this and see if there are any books out there that might help me learn more. I feel like this could be very useful for me in understanding and interpreting the Tarot.

Any suggestions? Any books to avoid? Thank you!

rwcarter

Welcome to Aeclectic, tarotot_yeezus!

Have you checked the Bibliography of Divination for Beginners?

tarotot_yeezus

AH! why didnt I think of that when I had the book?! It was a library book and I've already returned it (but I do want to buy my own copy-it had so much good information!) but when I buy it I will be sure to check that!

I feel silly for missing something so simple! Thanks for reminding me of that (very obvious-still kicking myself) option!

Teheuti

One place to start is with a symbol dictionary. This will tell you what symbols have come to mean, mostly in Western culture. A symbol dictionary represents a kind of mutual agreement perspective (some say based on human instinctual 'archetypes') found in art and literature so that we can expect others will probably recognize the same symbol in a similar way.

Some people or groups develop highly personalized meanings for symbols that seem to work just as well as the broader cultural understandings.

Despite certain conventions, not all tea cup readers will perceive the same symbols in a cup and even if they do, they might interpret them differently. So there is an art to the practice.

I could never see anything in tea leaves on the few occasions (over many years) when I tried. Then I took a workshop taught by Shaheen Miro at the Denver TarotCon and suddenly I saw the tea leaf symbols very clearly and immediately knew what they meant. It was like a revelation. The key after that is practice, practice, practice!

Some people see symbols all around them - naturally and instinctively, some develop the 'sight', and some can point to meanings in a symbol dictionary and piece together an interpretation like mechanically learning a language. Anyone who is exceptionally good at any of these ways (and others I haven't mentioned) can become a good symbol reader.

Although not specifically on divination, some Jungian works will serve you in good stead for learning about interpreting symbols - especially Marie-Louise von Franz - for instance, The Interpretation of Fairy Tales.
http://www.amazon.com/Interpretation-Fairy-Tales-Marie-Louise-Franz/dp/0877735263/

Another good book that both talks about symbolic interpretation and includes an excellent symbol dictionary is: Ariadne's Clue: A Guide to the Symbols of Humankind by Anthony Stevens.
http://www.amazon.com/Ariadnes-Clue-Humankind-Princeton-Bollingen/dp/0691086613/

You might also find the following book helpful: Pictures from the Heart: A Tarot Dictionary by Sandra A. Thomson.
http://www.amazon.com/Pictures-Heart-A-Tarot-Dictionary/dp/0312291280

A good psychic development class can help with the "seeing" part of it - which is harder to do on your own if it doesn't come naturally. Anyone can learn and learning it in a group usually augments the learning tremendously.

MissChiff

I like the web site What's-your-sign.com I enjoy it!

tarotot_yeezus

Teheuti, so many resources!! I look forward to looking through them all. I hope that my library has them - I need some good reading but I'm a bit strapped for cash. Pictures from the Heart sounds like it would be an especially good place to start with as I'm currently working with tarot every day.

I would love to take a psychic development class! I'm very interested in them, but I'm also a bit self conscious... What have your experiences been like overall? Any clues to whether or not the class is honest or hoaky in your personal experience? Thanks for all the guidance! Super helpful and very appreciated.

MissChiff, I think I've heard of that website before, I'll be sure to check it out! Its so nice to get such a variety of suggestions. I feel like I'm going to be busy for a while!

Teheuti

I would love to take a psychic development class! I'm very interested in them, but I'm also a bit self conscious... What have your experiences been like overall? Any clues to whether or not the class is honest or hoaky in your personal experience?
I've only taken psychic development classes from people recommended to me. But you can probably learn something from any class. The key is to give it your all - even if you are not sure what you are doing or what a teacher has to offer. Sometimes it doesn't take much to open a door.

As to the book I've mentioned - check amazon used books and you might be able to find those books or similar ones at very reasonable prices. Or ask about interlibrary loan at your local library.

Desecrated

C.G Jung - Man and his symbols.

Richard

Symbolic thought is something that we all do all the time anyway. The word "clock" is a symbol. Literally, it is just a combination of five letters of the alphabet. However, this word is a symbol for a certain type of timekeeping device; this is a denotation. It may also be a symbol for promptness and efficiency (such as doing something "by the clock"); this is a connotation.

Subjects such as linguistics would address the issue of symbolic thought, but I don't think this is what you mean.

If you want to learn about symbols, then read something like what Desecrated recommended. Otherwise, rest assured that you are already thinking symbolically, whether you know it or not.