Reversible tarot

WillieHewes

I've been reading some books on cartomancy (read your future in the cards!) but I've not gained much from them. The meanings for the cards seem really random and ideocyncratic. There's no system, just a learning by heart of each individual card, and combination of cards. One of the cartomancy books I have is big on combinations. It has separate meanings for two queens, three queens, four queens, two aces, three aces... It drives me mad! How anyone could ever remember all that I don't know!

Cavalier basically means knight, yes. That's why it works. :)

fairyhedgehog

I like your ideas, even if someone else has had a similar idea.

I prefer the cards without the suit symbols all over the picture, unless it is a transformation deck.

I like Cavalier for Knight - I would find that easy to use and better than Jack.

I wouldn't use a circle for major arcana - too similar to pentacles. Unless you use colour-coding, in which case a circle could symbolise wholeness and inclusion.

Would an infinity symbol work for the major arcana? It somehow has the more archetypal feel of the major arcana, for me at least. And it is simple and easy to recognise.

It's going to be a great deck :)

WillieHewes

My experiments have taken a somewhat different direction. I'm not so sure about it, although I intend to complete the deck. I'd like to hear what you think...

http://tarot.lunaticsworld.com/Flip/Reverse.html

Thank you for any suggestions/thoughts/criticism/etc.

Mateo06

I love your idea of reverse cards, but i am mainly here to comment on the symbol problem. If the major arcana represent major milestones in our LIFE why not use a symbol that represents life. All i can think of is the egyptian ankh and i am not sure that represents life. But i am sure there are other symbols liek it.

WillieHewes

An ankh could work, yes. I've decided that it should be both black and red, joining the two colours of the minors. So what I'm looking for is a two-coloured symbol, possibly meaning life. Hm... Still thinking.

Mateo06

Why not a black and red yin yang. What can symbolize life more than good and bad. Like the tarot it says life can go either way. and u should take one with the other.

blue_fusion

Mateo06 said:
Why not a black and red yin yang. What can symbolize life more than good and bad. Like the tarot it says life can go either way. and u should take one with the other.

i don't think the yin-yang symbolizes good or evil, according to eastern philosophy. yin: earth, female, dark, passive, absorbing, even numbers, valleys and streams, represented by the tiger and the color orange, and by a broken line. yang: heaven, male, light, active, penetrating, odd numbers, mountains, represented by the dragon and the color blue (azure), and an unbroken line.

they aren't influenced by good, or evil. rahter, they are the potential in things which can be directed eitherof the two ways.

however, i also think the yin-yang is a good symbol for the card you're brewing, just not for good and evil.

rota

fifth symbol?

If one needed a fifth symbol, wouldn't it represent the alchemical 'Quintessence'? After all, the deck contains suits for Earth, Air, Fire and Water - the alchemical texts say that the fifth is Aether.
(Aeppropriately aenough for Aeclectic!)
I'd symbolize it with a cloud or vapor.

WillieHewes

Clouds and vapours don't make for clear icons. I was thinking of a red/black yin/yang though. I think it's a good option.