vedic astrology

Minderwiz

That's a good idea - I think enough people have the necessary software to generate a chart for the day before they were born but at the same time and place.

How would we be different?

sirona86

LittleWing said:
hey guys - i cant contribute much to this thread - but i am enjoying reading ;)

same here LittleWing. ironically, i'm indian myself, yet i know little if not nothing about vedic astrology. this thread has given me motivation to find out more about it.

Minderwiz

Hi Sirona,

There is a wealth of tradition in Vedic Astrology, I.m glad the discussion has stimulated you to find out more and I hope you will share some of your discoveries with us in the future.

jmd

I rarely check the Astrology forum - I should more often! This is a wonderful discussion.

One of the few threads I started (outside the Historical section of the Forums) was one dealing with precisely issues raised herein (see here).

Personally, and though I but rarely erect, and even more rarely interpret, charts, I still maintain an interest in the subject. A little (unpublished but completed) book I wrote about eight years ago also deals with various house systems and presents what I consider a way of conjoining a sidereal and tropical view - though in ways which few sidereal astrologers would find satisfying (I have actually ultra-succinctly outlined this in the thread linked above).

As well as sidereal and tropical astrology, mention should also be made of two other forms which have arisen and are used by some (though I find these, though conceptually and mathematically highly interesting, just not human-centred enough): a Solar-centred chart erection, and a mid-solar/earth centred chart erection.

This last is quite a charming version, for it depicts the movement of the Earth and the Sun as lemniscating the point from which the 'observation' is made.

Personally, I find that a well formulated tropical zodiac, whilst acknowledging the spiritual forces as provening from the sidereal zodiac, yields wonderful and deeply satisfying charts.

For myself, I also tend to basically disregard the 'transpersonal' trans-Saturnian planets and the asteroids... which so many astrologers find so illuminating (that's right - I do not even chart Cheiron!)

Wonderful discussions... please continue!

Minderwiz

jmd

Thanks for the observations - given your last point you might be interested in the thread on the trans-Saturns

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16012

You should drop in more regularly - I'll keep reminding you now :)

I haven't used the Sidereal Zodiac other than for a couple of comparisons - I have enough trouble with the tropical one LOL

I have not tried heliocentric charts, though my reason for doing this is different. I go along with your point about Astrological charts being human centred. Whether charts are of nativities, or horaries, events or decumbitures, these are events that happen on Earth, and I think what matters is the local space of the event.