"Breath" Meditation Lamp

The Happy Squirrel

Sorry I am not sure where to post meditation topic!
In any case, I am just beginning to learn how to do mindful meditation, and I find it very hard not to have my mind wonders off all the time....

I have an app on my device where it chimes with the singing bowl of your choice at the start of your meditation, every several minutes depending on how you set it up, and at the end. This was helpful I thought... But I am still learning....

So I am curious that this lamp provides a visual rather than an acoustic cue, and how folks who have been meditating a lot longer than I have think about this...

Thanks in advance!

Laura Borealis

It seems like it could be very helpful. I love the blue color, too.

It doesn't seem to be adjustable though, and I wonder, surely not everyone breathes calmly and slowly at exactly the same pace? I'd want an option to just use it as a lamp as well...

I bet there are videos on YouTube that do much the same thing, and you mentioned apps. I've even seen animated gifs that are meant to be breathed with to help calm the viewer, those those were slanted toward people with anxiety issues.

I've been practicing meditation on and off for a few years. The main thing I've noticed that helps is just keeping at it. From what I read, even super serene monks will have their minds wander. They just redirect it better than I can with my jumpy little monkey brain :)

The Happy Squirrel

Hi Laura!
I think the force pacing is useful because someone like me tend to breath too fast.... Especially when stressed.... Maybe it is designed for beginners..?
This animated gif you are mentioned, is this an app? If so could you share what it is called?
:)
I have just bought the Buddhify 2 app, I was expecting it to be like the Insight Timer, but it is more of a guided mindfulness meditation on the go, which is nice too.
:)
I am thinking of backing this project.....

Tanga

It seems like it could be very helpful. I love the blue color, too.
It doesn't seem to be adjustable though, and I wonder, surely not everyone breathes calmly and slowly at exactly the same pace?

Yes - Exactly that. So each individual would have to watch demo/try out before buying perhaps. I think it's a great idea to have a visual (a rather pleasant one suggesting relaxation) que (Long time on-and-off meditator here. Presently I haven't meditated for about 3 months [Lost in the world of website development and attempting to speed-learn as much new Tarot stuff as possible] - and the cracks are showing a bit now. Will be back to it shortly :) :) ).
Then again, for some people, eyes closed might be best. Different formats suit different people.
Trial and error.

I'd want an option to just use it as a lamp as well...

Yeah, that would be great. I concur.

I've been practicing meditation on and off for a few years. The main thing I've noticed that helps is just keeping at it. From what I read, even super serene monks will have their minds wander. They just redirect it better than I can with my jumpy little monkey brain :)

Yup. As Laura Borealis says - just stick at it. At some point you'll just find that it becomes easier. Plus also easy to "allow" that you've wandered - and bring yourself back on track again - rather than being frustrated that that's happened. And you will find your own most comfortable "slow" pace.

I do 4 main forms of meditation myself:
1) Visualisation with eyes closed (or open - I don't get distracted anymore with eyes open).
2) Breath focus
3) Repetitive mantra - I have some favourites.
4) And moving meditation when I walk sometimes. Also, practicing Kung Fu forms (gong through the
motions) with deep breathing (Chi-Kung) is a moving breath meditation.
Occasionally - I focus on an object (staring at a clear marble or crystal).

The Happy Squirrel

Thanks for the suggestions Tanga!

At this point I am trying to focus on meditation as a mental and psychological practice. This is the safest place for me at the moment I feel. My spiritual practice is in a stage of revision at the moment, although the building blocks are there, so I am putting that aspect of it on hold. Usually I found myself looking out through the window and into whatever slither of the sky I can grab a hold of (I live in an inner city apartment). Or close my eyes. I also have some metal singing bowls I use to help me. And the breathing.

That's a good point about letting yourself wonder off and come back. I do get frustrated and just gave up usually.

Staring into a marble or crystal is an idea.... The only such object in my house is the salt lamp, I think I should be able to use that! Or a lit candle!

I just heard back from the lamp people and sadly they have not figured out how to post internationally yet :(

The Happy Squirrel

"Breath" Meditation Lamp

So this lamp is still not shipping to where I am :( I have recently became reacquainted with Tibetan / Buddhist prayer beads (although I grew up with rosaries), and thought that the beads can function tactile wise what "breath" lamp functions visually :)

Tanga

So this lamp is still not shipping to where I am :( I have recently became reacquainted with Tibetan / Buddhist prayer beads (although I grew up with rosaries), and thought that the beads can function tactile wise what "breath" lamp functions visually :)

I still have my rosary.
And now - several malas (Tibetan/Indian prayer beads).
I have 2 wrist ones (they were re-branded "power bracelets" - I think by Madonna) - and it's actually these ones that I use most for repetitive mantra practice.
The others - I love the way they look and wear them for effect. :joke:
When I donne them - I feel like I'm putting a magical tool on - so I'm more mindful of meditation, contemplation/mindfulness, magic and ritual etc. They help create a peaceful and "in-conversation-with-Deity" or spirituality type mood for me.

The Happy Squirrel

"Breath" Meditation Lamp

I still have my rosary.

And now - several malas (Tibetan/Indian prayer beads).

I have 2 wrist ones (they were re-branded "power bracelets" - I think by Madonna) - and it's actually these ones that I use most for repetitive mantra practice.

The others - I love the way they look and wear them for effect. :joke:

When I donne them - I feel like I'm putting a magical tool on - so I'm more mindful of meditation, contemplation/mindfulness, magic and ritual etc. They help create a peaceful and "in-conversation-with-Deity" or spirituality type mood for me.

I still have my rosaries too :) Speaking of wearing for effect :p I saw rosaries in some youth clothing store :/ I always feel a bit weird when I see people use it as fashion accessories..... But I have been too conditioned to attach rosary with catholic prayers, which I still do from time.... I suppose technically I could use it to count my breathing.... But it is a bit too weird so I thought I should try afresh with a mala strand :)

Tanga

I still have my rosaries too :) Speaking of wearing for effect :p I saw rosaries in some youth clothing store :/ I always feel a bit weird when I see people use it as fashion accessories..... But I have been too conditioned to attach rosary with catholic prayers, which I still do from time.... I suppose technically I could use it to count my breathing.... But it is a bit too weird so I thought I should try afresh with a mala strand :)

In my mind - Catholic rosary, Tibetan/Hindu mala, Muslim misbaha/shuba or Wiccan ladder - are for the same thing in the end.
To connect with the divine (in whatever way you see them, whether it be outside yourself and/or inside yourself). And they have similar effect.
Saying "The Angelus" over and over (a praise to the immaculate conception and a beseechment of Mary Magdalene - for those reading who don't know) gives one a parallel sense of peace and stillness afterwards (I found), as repeating "Om mane padme hum" ("The universal sound is like the jewel in the lotus" - alluding to Karma, life and the tensegrity of the universe). I guess it might just depend with what mindset/attention one is doing it.

I guess rosaries have been a fashion accessory since Madonna (if before I can't remember).
I don't really find it weird. Everyone has different ideas about things.
One just hopes this won't be extended to offensive or ignorant behaviour towards believers. Lol.