The 2 of wands and 3 of wands

Alpha-Omega

Can some one tell me whats the difference between the 2 of wands and 3 of wands. It looks like they both mean the same thing.

Fulgour

I used to think it was the same person, but it's not,
and then to sort it out I imagined myself doing both
things, standing in such a place and doing the same
as the man in the illustrations. It's a different feel,
and of course there's something about the dynamic
of Wands, starting off a new cycle, very dramatic.

Jeanette

I, too, think these two cards are very similar. For the 2 of Wands, sometimes you can think of choices to be made (like any other 2 might suggest). But it would be a Wand-specific choice (i.e. some situation that would make you divide your energy, like work/school, home/social life, etc.). I think of Wands as creative energy, and career-type energies.
As for the 3 of Wands, sometimes this card can mean foresight. The man is looking forward to his ships returning. Maybe you've sent out resumes, or something along those lines, and you're waiting for an answer. You're looking forward to things happening.
Note that for both cards, I'm saying "sometimes", not definitely or always!
Just my 2 cents, maybe some ideas to get you jump-started.....

Elven

Hi Alpha -Omega. Just thought I'd throw my two cents worth in also.
I see these cards as quite different.
The two of wands I feel has a more educated, planned feel to it. I have always been drawn to the flowers on the side of the little wall. They indicate to me that there is intention and purity of intention - thats the palnned bit so to speak. A knowing of what has been sent out. He holds the world in his hand. Sometimes I see it as the world is your oyster and your wants are the pearls. This is far reaching - a putting out to the universe, knowing exactly whats wanted in the means of a return.
The three of cups I see as someone looking for something to come to them. A time of passing -like waiting for your ship to come in (the little boats in the harbour) keeping a whatch on the flow and ebb of things to come. This is my 'look beyond the horizon card' and know that your ship is on its way. It predicts hope and future promises fulfilled. Others are involved. Being patient.

I hope this helps a bit anyway. Happy Studies
Elven x

Enchanted

I don't know why but in my very first encounter with the of the two of wands the song "He's got the whole world in his hands" came into my head! :laugh: So I would agree with Elven that I take it to mean the world is your oyster. What do you really want to do, because anything is possible at this time! The three tends to appear (for me) when a decision/course of action has been made and you are waiting to see the outcome. The two is about a 'choice', and the three, waiting for the 'results' of that choice. For me anyway....

Alpha-Omega

Thanks for your replies. It did help me

Grizabella

It's probably significant, too, that on the three of wands, the three wands are planted in the ground and he's standing on what looks like a riverbank, while on the two of wands, one of the wands is standing in a bracket attached to the castle parapet or whatever it's called and he seems to be standing on to top of the castle by the castle wall.

caridwen

Also, there are only two cards where the figure has their back turned towards the reader. The Seven of Cups and the Three of Wands. Why does the three of Wands turn their back entirely away?

Ukkonen

I'm not sure whether I read this from somewhere or came up with the idea, but I've begun to think of Three of Wands as the "Columbus card" - those three ships ahead remind me of the three ships of Columbus. And then somehow the Fool comes in here...should the character be running toward his ships and what's keeping him from doing it? It's as if the impulse to act is there but something's stopping him. But then again I consider this card to imply maturity as well...maybe the Fool has grounded himself here, temporarily, at least. Weird thoughts, I guess ;-)

Bosorka

Hi, Alpha-Omega,

try to look at all twos together and than at all threes together and try to find what do they have in common. At least for me it was easier to remember cards that way.

Caridwen, as person in 7 of cups doesn't really know what he should think or wait, can't it be that in 3 of wands you're also not sure what is in store for you?