Ancient Minchiate Etruria

Khatruman

~sheepishly ventures into this forum for the first time~
Hello :)

My first foray into this area comes with a question about an historical deck. I have been looking at the Ancient Minchiate Etruria deck and find it quite intriguing. Does anyone here own the deck, and could they tell me if it is a good deck for study? I know that it is a deck noted as being primarily a game deck rather than a divination deck, but with the addition of element cards and zodiac cards, I see intriguing possibilities for it.

I have seen decks by both Lo Scarabeo and one designed by Brian Williams. The Brian Williams deck does not thrill me, but the Etruria does. Can anyone give me advice on this deck?

Thanks

Aoife

I have it - and I think it's exquisite. I haven't tried to read with it though.

Riccardo recently advised, for further insights, that I get hold of Brian William's book on his own Minchiate deck. I haven't done so to date - too many other delightful decks to distract me. I think the Etruria is one I shall prize just for the wonderful artwork.

Eve

Macavity

I guess one can remove the "extra bits" for a time? :) The high priestess seems one point where a lack might be felt. But I too have come to love the deck. I didn't think I would like these artifically created antiques, but the LoS one is really well done. I like the feel of the cards - They have a nice "softness"... and all those funny little images: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12219 Great Fun! :D

Khatruman

Ok, I've now gone and ordered this deck...woo hoo... It was sitting on my Amazon wish list too long, and I still have been interested...so there I go..*s*

jmd

Khatruman, if you felt sheepish about venturing into this area of the Forums, it only shows that some of us may have been too harsh in our contributions.

This area certainly contains discussions on Tarot's pre-20th century history, but also includes the vast territory of pre-20th century iconography. In this sense, its images may be discussed both in the light of its historical context - for those who can shed light on this wonderful aspect - but also its images as full icons: as fingers which point at the spiritual dimension they simultaneously veil and reveal... and for this, looking into the image is called for.

But on to the topic of this thread, I do not as yet have the deck, but do find that its images form part of important study material...

Diana

Khatruman: what took you so long to get over here, my good man? The coffee is cold by now, and the cake has gone stale. But I'll brew some more, and rush over to the baker for some new cake.

The images of this deck have been hovering before me for ages. Today I will order it as well (the Etruria).

Looking forward to discussing this deck with everyone here!

Khatruman

Diana said:
The coffee is cold by now, and the cake has gone stale. But I'll brew some more, and rush over to the baker for some new cake.

The images of this deck have been hovering before me for ages. Today I will order it as well (the Etruria).

Looking forward to discussing this deck with everyone here!
Cool beans, Diana. And thank you for the warm welcome!!! Fresh coffee... more more more!! Will be great discussing this deck with you, and hearing your insights in light of your knowledge. I will tap your store of knowledge, especially on those unillustrated pips..*s* Sorry I did take so long, but I guess it just had to come when I was ready. Looking forward to learning with you.

Peace!

Khatruman

jmd said:
Khatruman, if you felt sheepish about venturing into this area of the Forums, it only shows that some of us may have been too harsh in our contributions...
Awww, no, sir. Do not feel you have been harsh. I think the trepidation is all my own, my embarrassment at lack of historical knowledge and my lack of intuitive feeling for those unillustrated pips which still, for the most part, elude me. I am glad to be a part of this study and will gladly be the green student asking the silly questions. Talk to you soon.

Peace

Khatruman

Coffee coffee coffee!!! that is my weakness... LOL... Hey, what can I say. Always one not to play it safe...

Khatruman

It arrived

Amazon finally sent me the deck.. really dragged their heels on this one. What a fascinating deck!!! It is smaller than I imagined, about the size of standard playing cards, but I guess with 97 cards, it makes it easier to shuffle. The cards were shrinkwrapped in three sections, and they were ordered very oddly, with the Majors quite out of order and the suit cards alternating in strange ways. That was good though, because I had to look at the cards to sort them, and make sure they were all there.

I like that they are copies of the original artwork, without the customary Lo Scarabeo border and 5 language labels. I also like that the backings are recreations of the original deck that was used to reproduce this. I think this will work well as an intuitive deck. Very little, if any, esoterica is used, yet there are curiousities that strike the imagination. Those centaurs for the knights, those creatures on some of the pips, like the monkey looking at himself in the mirror. Also, I can think of wonderful uses for the extra cards, the zodiacs (which are not ordered in our standard zodiac order Aries-Pices), and the Element cards and such make this an amazing deck. I know Brian Williams has a Minichiate deck with a great big book of everything (phrase stolen from the kids show Stanley), but I like this deck being a mystery. This will be a definite writing deck!