Study of the Marseilles pips summary for the 2 of Coins

Mimers

Study of the Marseilles pips summery for the 2 of Coins

Posted by Mimers on 25-03-2003 21:15:

2 of PENTACLES

The first thing I noticed were the 2 little flowers at the top and bottom of the 's'. They are brand new. They look to me like they are just breaking out of the pod. Growth close to the earth. The white stems, pure and not yet green from the sun means they have just come from the earth. It is a lot of physical work for the plant to break out of the pod and get through all that dirt, but it has and combined with the sun it will grow and become....3?

The big, bold, blue S with the publisher on it reminds me of the security that money and possesions bring. The flowers are comi g out of the ends.

Hmmm, The potential for growth in money and material matters, through hard work.

As for the publisher sticking his business card here, at first I thought, THE CARDS HAVE BEEN DEFAMED!!! Then I reconsidered and thought how appropriate.

Posted by ihcoyc on 27-03-2003 20:28:

The 2 of Coins, especially, shows leaves of a seedling that are just starting to uncurl.

Posted by HOLMES on 29-03-2003 17:29:

the two of coins here,
you see a more yin and yang energy here, which brings to mind the old physics law for every reaction there is an opposite but equal reaction (is that how it goes ?)
one coin is above and one is below. the physical actions of your higher self can manifest in the lower self world bring harmony.
the peace here in the physical world is greater pronounced. peace is obtained for almost an enternal figure eight but it didn't sucess however the peace we have now is rewarding and we should live for this.
the leaf suggest that physical energies will continue to grow on both side, and the purity of intentions of made a big vegetable which looks like some sort of sweet potato,
life is sweet, enjoy it while it lasts.

Posted by Aerin on 30-03-2003 11:19:

The 2 of coins looks as if it has far more movement somehow than the others, it's almost an infinity symbol but not quite. The coins look like they should be spinning around. It's got rotational symmetry but no reflection symmetry

Posted by Aerin on 03-04-2003 10:09:

Ok, so my gut reaction to the energy in each card is that in the two of coins it is cycling round and around within the card itself.

Posted by wolfen045 on 04-04-2003 01:02:

The coins say to me that wise use of energy, The "S" thingy seems to me to be energy , will gain us a future reward.

Posted by Khatruman on 05-04-2003 21:32:

Ok, the two of coins... we have that "S" bar, an almost broken infinity symbol, the edges curl under, the underside being red, and white stems grow out of them, with a red leaf (with yellow underside), an immature leaf, and a flower, yellow on the outside with a red center. The coins are yellow, a center flower image, framed by circles, then a sun like pattern and ridged outer surface. The prominent blue shape has the Grimaud inscription, as I have heard it is customary to do this on the 2 of Coins. And there are outer engravings.

Initial curiousities: the blue shape, any relation to the infinity symbol?.. The red underside curl at the edges, that blood, life symbolism? Flowers bend towards the coins, significant? This flower in general, what type of flower is it? Is there a symbolic meaning for the type of flower?

Posted by Mimers on 05-04-2003 21:57:

Flowers always grow towards the sun. It is food to them. It gives them their colors also. Without the sun, plants would be white. The pentacles are what we need in life to bring out our colors.

Posted by skytwig on 05-04-2003 22:25:

2 DISCS
Money, profit, life grows with movement, with cycling of energy/ money. That, yes, there must be give & take in one's material world in order for new growth to appear/develop? That growth occurs 'at both ends' of the give and take cycle.....

Mimers

thoughts/questions/observations

Hmmm, I think the the 2 of Coins was 'short changed' :D

We never did talk much on the fact that the coins are placed top bottom compared to the others which are side by side in their placement. Why is that?

Initial curiousities: the blue shape, any relation to the infinity symbol?.. The red underside curl at the edges, that blood, life symbolism? Flowers bend towards the coins, significant? This flower in general, what type of flower is it? Is there a symbolic meaning for the type of flower?

Mimers

Rusty Neon

Placement of pip elements

Mimers said:
We never did talk much on the fact that the coins are placed top bottom compared to the others which are side by side in their placement. Why is that?

Some random thoughts:

The most obvious interpretation of the up-and-down placement of the coins in the 2 of Coins is that this represents a juxtaposition of the material (lower) and spiritual (higher). This brings to mind the expression: "As above, so below". We also see a juxtaposition of top and bottom coins in the Valet of Coins card.

This juxtaposition is all the more interesting in the Coins suit, which _superficially_ would seem to be a very material suit, if one were strictly to judge by coinage symbolism. Taken spiritually, this suit can represent the spiritual made manifest in the material realm. The spiritual still lives on ...

Rusty Neon

Crowley's _Book of Thoth_

Crowley's 2 of Disks follows quite closely the TdM design of the 2 of Coins.

In this instance, what Crowley writes about his card applies nicely to the TdM card:

"The card represents two Pantacles*, one above the other; they are the Chinese symbols of the Yang and Yin duplicated as in the Hsiang. One wheel is dextro- and the other is laevo-rotatory. They thus represent the harmonious interplay of the Four Elements in constant motion. One may in fact consider the card as the picture of the complete manifested Universe, in respect of its dynamics."

* Note: 'Pantacles' is Crowley's spelling.