Decks with suite of Princesses & female Pages?

LunaRosa

Hi all,

I'm aware that the Thoth tarot includes the suite of Princesses, but can anyone recommend other decks that are more in the style of Rider-Waite (doesn't have to follow it to a tee though) which include Princesses instead of Pages and/or depict women as pages?

So far it looks like The Druidcraft and Crystal Visions tarot include these variants. Thanks!

rwcarter

Princess is a rank (Ace, 7, King, etc.), not a suite (Cups, Wands, etc.). But here are the decks I have that include Princesses:
Anada
Ancestral Path
Ancient Egyptian
Angelic
Artists's Inner Vision
Babylonian
Barbara Walker
Book of Azathoth
Celestial
Classic Golden Dawn
Cosmic
Cosmic Tribe
Deva
Druidcraft
ElemenTree
Fairy Tale (Hunt)
Gareth Knight
Gendron
Gill
Goddess (Waldherr)
Golden Cycle
Golden Dawn Magical
Golden Dawn Ritual
Golden Dawn
Hermetic
I Am One
Initiatory Tarot of the Golden Dawn
Journey Into Egypt
Jungian
Kabbalistic Vision
Kalevala
Kings Journey
Langustl
Liber T
Lover's Path
Maat
Magickal
Mandala Astrological
Manga
Mutational Alchemy
Mystic Tarot
New Star
Norse
One World
Parrott
Pathfinder's
Renaissance (Lyle)
Rohrig
Rosetta
Simply Deep
Spiral
Tabula Mundi
Tarocco Golden Dawn
Tarot Apokalypsis
Tarot del Saber (Wisdom Tarot)
Tarot Illuminati
Tarot of Ceremonial Magick
Tarot of Hekate
Tarot of Love
Tarot of Oz
Tarot of the Divine Union
Tarot of the Lotus Circle
Tarot of the Sephiroth
Tarot of the Sidhe
Tarot of the Silicon Dawn
Tarot of the Trance
Tarot of Timeless Truth
Transformational Tarot (Ando)
Tree-Of-Life Tarot
True Love Tarot
Via
Vision (Gilabel)
Wheel of Change
Wheel of the Year
Witches (Cannon Reed)
Zerner-Farber
Zodiac

Carojulie

Hello ,

In the Vanessa tarot, all the court are females (kings included). The Pages tend to be younger girls.
In the Gorgon's tarot, all the pages ans some of the knights are women.
In the Clover tarot and in the Motherpeace tarot, pages and knights are "daughters and sons".
The Steampunk tarot (B. Moore) have feminine pages, but I do not remember if all four pages are women.

I realise that it is difficult to answer this question without checking the decks, I will have to dig into my decks to find more examples !

Carojulie

PS : I love to see more females in the court, and in tarot in general. But, it always bugs me when women are the lowest in the hierarchy of the court. I find it bad enough that the tradition automatically ranks the Kings higher than the Queens.... so it troubles me when knights are systematically men and pages are systematically women. When a deck renames pages as princesses or daughters, and knights as princes or sons.... I cannot help but wonder why the prince would rank higher than the princess ? One might say that their is no hierarchy per se in the tarot court... but there is not escaping the fact that the old games gave a hierarchy to the face cards.
So I appreciate it when decks disregard this old patriarchal tradition. And I personnaly prefer to read the courts independantly of gender and age - more like a position/level of development towards the quality of the suit.
I agree that all this paragraph was out of the direct subject of the thread, and only reflects my personal opinion - I do not intend to offend anyone- thank you for your patience with my rant !

Carojulie

The Tarot Illuminati has princesses and princes for pages and knights,
Same thing for the Artist Inner Vision tarot.
The Steampunk Tarot by Charissa Drengsen has women for pages,
The Japaridze tarot has Jesters for pages and Strangers for knights, and they are androgynous.

Rose Lalonde

A lot have been mentioned, and add Robert Place's decks to those above -- or at least the Alchemical and Sevenfold Mystery.

The Spiral Tarot already listed above might do for what you're looking for. Many of the minor illustrations are clones of RWS.

PS : I love to see more females in the court, and in tarot in general. But, it always bugs me when women are the lowest in the hierarchy of the court...I do not intend to offend anyone- thank you for your patience with my rant !

I get what you mean as far as a militaristic hierarchy of power decreasing, and am certainly not offended. But in Thoth and Golden Dawn decks, the Princesses are extremely powerful, in large part because they are at the base of the Tree of Life at Malkuth, the culmination of everything that came before in their suits, and the 'throne of the Ace'. As above, so below. The sequence is often shown as Ace-10, Knight, Queen, Prince, and finally Princess.

"The mighty and potent daughter of a King and Queen: a Princess powerful and terrible: a Queen of Queens -- an Empress --- whose effect combines those of the King, Queen, and Prince..."
Book T

"For us, the Princesses are the most important, since they are us. We are on the receiving end of creation, the very bottom, the lowest of the low. However, we are also the most important, since all of creation is there for us to enjoy, provided we wake up and learn how."
from Zephyros' older post on the courts here on the forum

Spectre Made Flesh

The Royo Dark Tarot has Knaves for Pages, and all 4 are female (as are 2 of the Knights).

In the Labyrinth Tarot, also by Luis Royo, the Pages are called Jacks, and again, all 4 are female.

In the Archeon Tarot by Timothy Lantz, the Pages are called Heralds, and 3 out of 4 are female, as is 1 of the Knights.

EmpyreanKnight

The following has at least two female courts:

Cruel Thing
Celtic Wisdom
Dark Goddess
Enchanted
Haindl
Lilith Bible
Shadowscapes
Tarot of the Crone
Tarot of the Sacred Feminine
Universal Goddess