Antique RWS images in High Resolution

Emily

Thank you both for doing this, it's fascinating comparing the versions. I've never seen them so clearly before and realise now that I much prefer the Pam A. Also I've been looking for nice B&W scans of the RWS to recolour. :)

arya ishtar

The other day I had the happy honour of receiving kenji and the Three Sisters to my hermitage.

The first edition trio for RWS study. Pam-A, The Key to the Tarot, The Pictorial Key to the Tarot]/i].
http://grimoire.blog.ocn.ne.jp/doll/files/taromeet-1.jpg

From right to left. Pam-B, Pam-A, and Pam-C (am I right, kenji?) The thickness of Pam-A is so conspicuous.
http://grimoire.blog.ocn.ne.jp/doll/files/taromeet-2.jpg

Here I again want to express deep gratitudes to kenji for his generosity!

orange book is the pictoral key to the tarot, but what is the little blue one?

Richard

orange book is the pictoral key to the tarot, but what is the little blue one?
It is probably Waite's The Key to the Tarot, which was published in 1909. It was expanded into The Pictorial Key to the Tarot, published in 1911.

arya ishtar

Been studying these a little and would like to speculate:

The two of cups makes me think that pam A (the orig?) was copied (poorly) and then REcopied again -pretty accurately - from that bad copy. What makes me think that is her angry eyebrow and the "eyebrows" of the winged lion. They look normal in A, but the same weird look in B and C.

Any of the experts know the order? Or who did it? Were they just pirated or did waite actually pay for such shoddy craftmanship?

Emily

I noticed the differences too - I think that is why I preferred the Pam A. Changes in facial expressions do change the feel of the card.

arya ishtar

wish i could get the color of pam-c with the lines of pam-a. *dreamy sigh*

PyroNicto

I don't know if you will ever see this message, kenji.
But you have my deepest thanks for having those cards uploaded.

kenji

Seen:)

I don't know if you will ever see this message, kenji.
But you have my deepest thanks for having those cards uploaded.

Thank you for your comment, PyroNicto:)
Your words make me feel I have to work with my Pam D too (some day)...