Decks and Seasons

RobinRayfield

There are different decks that might fit with different seasons or periods of one's religious year. A Wiccan might have one deck that they use from Samhain until the day before Yule, such as Deviant Moon, and then use a deck like Morgan-Greer from Yule until Imbolc, and so on. A Christian might use The Wild and Unknown during Lent and Tarot Illuminati during the Easter season.

Are there people who use different decks for different seasons or religious periods? Also, anyone have an opinion on that idea?

Tanga

I've entertained the idea - but mostly I'm led by what I feel like using.
And this frequently doesn't fit neatly into different seasons.

Though at Samhain - it's safe to say that I'll be in the mood to sift between my selection of
Halloween themed decks. :) Samhain is my favourite time of year.

Gwynydd

I love to factor the seasons into my readings. At the moment, I'm using Deck of the Bastard, the Faery Oracle and the Touchstone Tarot here, as it's Autumn, and I feel those decks have great colours for the season.

Barleywine

Sometimes - with a little thought on my part - my decks can sort themselves out into different moods that seem to fit a particular season. Even if not "themed" in any way, the ones that do this for me are the more somber or browner "autumnal ones:" the Anna K, the Aquarian, the English Magic. The Night Sun I might consider a "winter" deck, but it has a more "subterranean" feel to me that defies seasonal profiling. The pastel-colored decks suggest springtime even if the imagery doesn't: Brian Williams' Renaissance Tarot, his PoMo Tarot. On the other hand, at least in Fall and Winter, there's something to be said for using a cheerful, colorful deck. For the most part I don't pay it much attention (except maybe for that rustic Anna K) and just use my current favorite.

delinfrey

I absolutely use decks based on seasons. Shadowscapes is a June deck. Wildwood is also summer, and Sidhe. Vampyres is late autumn. Zombies is Samhain, Archeon is Samhain. I always try to shuffle decks based on seasons - it's fun and keeps my decks in rotation.

Arcturas

I rotate through my decks like this all year round. I have 3 per season that I actively study and work with. Sort of a Body Mind and Spirit type of thing. I have one deck that reads easily, I take it everywhere with me and use it as my main reading deck for people . I have another deck that challanges me intellectually. Perhaps with history, something esoteric. And I will work with a deck purely intuitively. I will work with them from solstice to equinox to solstice. Picking 3 different decks each season. I use other decks as well throughout the year. But this is how I get to know my decks. Some decks are of a certain season, and some decks are of a certain element. For example The Green witch deck feels like summer to me, Shadowscapes tarot feels like spring. The Fountain Tarot feels like the element of air.

Achlys

That's an interesting idea. Personally, I just select decks that I like to work with no matter what the imagery is or what time of the year it is. But that might be a good thing to consider when I'm rotating through decks...

lantana

While I don't think I could split up my decks into seasonal categories (or bar myself from using any based on the seasons) I do notice that I have reached for certain decks more during a certain season. Slow Holler and the Wooden Tarot were big ones for me the past months, but now I'm using the brighter Idiosyncradeck and Prisma Visions more. Granted my collection is rather small compared to most, so I could see why this would happen if you had a 50-100+ collection.

nisaba

I have around 170 decks, and the only one that seems seasonal at all is the Hudes deck, which seems Autumnal to me. That being said, I use it all year round - it's an excellent deck.