Jeu des Dames--circa 1865-1870

Cerulean

Grand Jeu de l'Oracle des Dames--circa 1865-1870

This is more detail as it develops on

The circa 1865 - 1870 Delarue Edition of
Grand Jeu de l'Oracle des Dames

a.k.a. Etteilla III

Note there are notes that follow that include commentary comparing it with a modern re-published 20th-21st Grand Jeu de l'Oracle des Dames from Editions Dusserre that also packages the deck with a translation/abridged modern version of the Julia Orsini text--I've seen the Julia Orsini text accompanying my more studious Book of Thoth Lismon Etteilla. However Editions Delarue in the 19th century edited and designed a different cartomancy text for the Jeu des Dames.

My Delarue Grand Jeu de l'Oracle des Dames has some different designs and meanings.

1) My book:

Les Recreations de la Cartomancie
ou
Description Pittoresque
De chacune des Cartes du Grand Jeu de l'Oracle des Dames
avec des combinasons pour expliquer
Le Present, Le Pae, L'Avenir
par Mlle LeMarchant

Paris
Chez Tous Le Marchandes de Nouveauties

Paris - Imprime chez Bonavendure et Duceois 53, quai des Augustine

(Note: Mike H, your Las Vegas Library copy is also from Edition Delarue, but your text is missing the complete listing of their offerings that my book has).

The second to the last page lists, 6th title down.

Le grand Oracle des dames et des demoiselles, par Mlle Lemarchand. Nouvelle edition. Prix. 2 >>.

(Seventh title is the La Sibylle couleur de rose ou les oracles du destin, amousement de societe...this may be useful to check on the history/printing of the Jeu des Destin games/cards later)

The last page lists the following--first the deck and then the book that should accompany them:

Second title down:

Le grand Jeu de l'Oracle de Dames 78 cartes-tarots imprimes en chromo-lithographie, a l'imitation des minatures du XV siecle, a renfermees dans un etui, illust. et acc du livres explicatif. 10.

Explanation follows:
Nous pouvons affirmer en toute assurance que rien jusqu'a ce jour, on fait de carte, c'a atteint le luxe de cette interesante serie de tarots; le grand jeu de l'oracle est donc une collection a laqquelle la preference sera incontestablement acquise.
Il n'est pas necesaire de rappeer combine de personnes, portant un beau nom, ont pris d'interet a la cartomancie, pour faire paer notre jeu, qui en relalite est un objet d'art et un jeu de luxe; le petit livret explicatif qui l'accompange a ete ffait avec un sein extreme, et comme toutez le predictions qu'il donne ont gracieuse, le Jeu de lOracle pourra etre mi dans toutes le mains.

Recreations de la Cartomancie, ou decription ou description pittoresque de chacune des Cartes du Grand Jeu de l'Oracle des Dames avec des combinasons pour expliquer
Le Present, Le Pae, L'Avenir des tarots...............1 25
(par Mlle LeMarchant)

Here are notes about Jeu des Dames, Delarue edition:
(I will also post these and other gathered details later in another thread about the Etteilla Jeu de Dames, which I am still compiling).

Linked thread to Jeu des Dames, 1865-1870 (rough estimate)

Notes:
The book and text that Editions Delarue published for Jeu des Dames--we know this, as the pictures in the book are clearly Jeu des Dames. The variations in how Eve is depicted (number 8) is the most striking--and the design and text that accompanies #8 Le Repose is changed later by Grimaud's Grand Etteilla designs. Grimaud, Papus and Waite also changed the upright and reversed meaning of the Ace of Wands while both Editions Delarue and Lismon's texts--Ace of Wands in the earlier versions of Lismon and Editions Delarue has Chute/Fall as the upright meaning and Naissance/Birth as the reversed meaning.

The 20th century reproduction of the Jeu des Dames (Editions Dusserre, not to be confused with the 19th century Editions Delarue) come with the more studious text from Julia Orsini, not the cartomancy text of the Les Recreations de la Cartomancie. My early observation was the text of the Julie Orsini Book of Thoth had similar information--Les Recreations de la Cartomancie seem to be geared toward cartomancy and amusement for young ladies.

MikeH. wrote:

c. 1867. Delarue puts out Tarot Egyptien: Grand Jeu du Oracle des Dames deck, designed by G. Regamey, originally printed by chromolithography by Hangard-Mauge (DDD p. 149). This style of card is generally referred to as “Grand Etteilla III.” Many of the trump figures are derived from the 15th century Nuremburg Chronicle(see link posted earlier in this thread). The booklet appears to be--if a reprint described by Cerulean in this thread is authentic--a revision of the “Julia Orsini” explications; the descriptions of the cards fit the new pictures.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cerulean's additional notes from Editions Delarue advertised list of books, last page:

At the same time they offer a Jeu des Dames, Editions Delarue has available the LeGrand Etteilla, listed as follows (for the sake of completeness, I will type the full description in the Editions Delarue book):

LeGrand Etteilla, ou l'Art de Tirer les Cartes, contenant: 1. une introduction rappelant l'origine des cartes, 2. l'indication des tarots qui composent le vertiable livre de Thot; 3. une methode au moyen de laquelle ou peut apprendre soi-meme sa destinee et a dire la bonne aventure; 4. l'explication des 78 tarots ou cartes egyptiennes; 5. une table de synonymes ou differentes significations des mots places en tete et en queue de chacune de ces cartes sibylliques; 6. une liste de cent demandes principales auxquelles il est facile de repondre en faisant usage du livre de Thot; 7. les regles de plusieurs jeux de tarots, par Julia Orsini. Un gros volume in-12, avec les 78 fig. des tarots....5>>

Le meme avec 78 figures colorees....6 >>
Ce livre n'est aucunement destine a propager les erreurs: beaucoup de personnes font de l'art de tirer ls carates un amusement, sans ajouter plus de foi aux predictions par les cartes qu' a toutes les sciences accultes en general.

Grand Jeu de 78 Tarots egyptiens, ou livre de Thot, pourservir au grand Etteilla, 78 cartes col.6>>.

La vertiable Cartomancie explicquee par la celebre sibylle francaise. Nouv. edit, 1750 fig....6>>

Cerulean

Coredil's actual deck notes

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=110310

However, my Eve, #8, Repose, in the Delarue Book has a different design and meanings are different than the Book of Thoth that accompanies the 20th-21st century reprint of the Jeu des Dames by Editions Dusserre.

My book is the 19th century Delarue...

Cerulean

The Jeu des Dames & Seven Days of Creation--Nuremberg Chronicle/Pymander

This a gathered link and discovery of others of the Grand Jeu de l'Oracle des Dames to the Nuremburg Chronicle:

http://forum.tarothistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=638

Nuremburg Chronicle (aka history of the world, German edition) and seven days of creation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuremberg_Chronicle

English translation (text only, no pictures)
http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=nur;cc=nur;view=toc;idno=nur.001.0004

Note: the Etteilla Tarot patterns as associated with the Seven Days of Creation in the Pymander is explored/discussed in posts by MikeH in "Etteilla Timeline."

I am hoping we will only work with Jeu des Dames versions and references here, hopefully related to the historic French pattern of Etteilla III of Jeu des Dames.

Thanks!

MikeH

I want to point out that the relationship of the Etteilla images to the Nuremberg Chronicle was apparently first noticed by Robert O'Neill in his 1986 book Tarot Symbolism, p. 231. He says:
Although we are not considering the Etteilla images in detail in this book, I would like to report a significant finding which I have not seen noted elsewhere. The early cards of the Etteilla deck: Chaos, The Sky, the Stars and the Birds and Fish are exact copies of the first five days of creation as illustrated in Hartmann Schidel's Liber Chronicarum (Nuremberg, 1493).
I don't know if O'Neill was aware that other designs in the Etteilla III pattern also come from the Nuremberg Chronicle, as the folks at THF demonstrate.

I am very glad to see your link to a translation of the text of the Chronicle, Cerulean. I will hopefully get around to reading the sections there that are correlated with Etteilla cards. The Etteilla III designer wold seem to have gotten the idea of using Chronicle images from the fact that it had these images for these same days of creation. It wuld be interesting to know in how many cases he picked the same image for the same day of creation that the Chronicle did.

For me the hard part is knowing where to find the reproduction of the page in Latin with the illustration, in a way that correlates with the translation and the Etteilla card. I get lost very quickly. If anyone has a list of such correlations, for particular Etteilla cards, page numbers in an online reproduction of the book, and Folio numbers for the translations, I'd be grateful.

Cerulean

Robert O Neill...

has a visual genius idea...on tarotpassages.com he started from the Waite Smith majors and listed iconography and notes working backwards to other major tarot iconography. The Empress and Eden references for example...so Oneill may have followed a visual association of Albrecht Durer in trumps and reached similar conclusions if looking at Jeu des Dames images.

To keep this to the Grand Jeu de l'Oracle des Dames, I will have to look and post later if I find a related Bob Oneill link...

(One comment, now thinking about it, the birds and fishes of Eden's creation in Etteilla and the Empress of Waite Smith...and the Pymander seven days of creation and the Nuremberg Chronicle creation myth....hmmm. The apples of mythical creation do not fall far from the tarot trees..)

Cerulean

One of the Guilliame Regamey's was the lithographer...

Notes on the Regamey engraving family circa 1870's...

Either Louis Pierre Guilaume Regamey

or

Guilaume Urban Regamey

...Guillaume Regamey 1837-1875

...FREDERIC REGAMEY (French / 1849-1925)

Frédéric Regamey, painter and printmaker, was born and died in Paris. He came from an artistic family. His father Louis Pierre Guillaume Regamey was a lithographer, and his brothers Félix Élie and Guillaume Urban Regamey were both artists of note. Frédéric Regamey was taught by Horace Lecoq de Boisbaudran. He is remembered especially as the editor of etchings for the literary and artistic journal Paris à l'eau-forte, which in the 1870s was one of the few journals sympathetic to the Impressionists; even before the First Impressionist Exhibition, Regamey published Impressionist etchings by Armand Guillaumin and others. Regamey was deeply influenced by Manet, which may have slanted him towards Impressionism. Vincent van Gogh admired both Frédéric and Guillaume Regamey, and owned some of Frédéric Regamey's prints of Japanese subjects, which he refers to at least twice in his letters. Our "artist photo" is an original etching by Regamey, a self-portrait standing behind Richard Lesclide, the literary editor of Paris à l'eau forte. Regamey also collaborated with Lesclide in the publishing house La Librairie de l'Eau-forte, which published Manet's editions of Le Fleuve and Le Corbeau. In later life Regamey added an acute accent to the first "e" of his surname - Régamey - but in the 1870s, from which all our prints come, he signed himself Regamey.

Cerulean

Simon Francois Blocquel's imprints 1740 thru 1870 (latter thru J Francois Delariue)

Am working thru book and art lists.

Notes included below should have links within a few weeks as I sort this out.

Editions Delarue of Paris had beautiful art prints, and the listing of art productiom and chromolithography and Hangard - Mave (sp) and G. Regamey has been helpful.

Kaplan's auction of 2006 lists a Grand Jeu del'Oracle des Dames with different card images, buy none are pictured. Perhaps this deck is similar to the variation in my Editions Delarue Cartomancie book...

Cerulean

Modern Spanish language tarot deck preserves old meanings

which reflects the 19th century Lismon and Editions Delarue Ace of Wands as

Chute or Fall as the Upright or Droit meaning

and

Naissance or Birth as the Reverse meaning for one example.

And the Repose Eve of Editions Delarue with her leafy skirt and no spirals is also

preserved.

The Spanish language version is El de Las Arte Echar Cartas or the Art of Drawing Cards.

I was able to place the circa 1865 book text, line drawing next to the Spainish language deck with the printed subtitles and lastly, a reproduction of the 1870 cards.

I copied, colored and slightly altered the image of Eve of the Repos card. The last card is not in any of the reproduction decks. Scans to come , hopefully by Sat.

last rightmost image .

Attachments

• Chute-AceWands.pdf
    297.8 KB · Views: 536
  • Repose-8JeudesDames.pdf
    385.7 KB · Views: 569

Cerulean

Another color card deck produced circa 1865 the art direction of Hangard-Mauge

First, for reference, the timing of publication for the Grand Jeu du Oracle des Dames (Grand Etteilla III) is circa 1865-70. I was checking into any comparable lithography--colored publications or the chromlithography done under the Hangard -Mauge engraver/publishers/art direction.

Here is first the mention of Hangard - Mauge:

c. 1867. Delarue puts out Tarot Egyptien: Grand Jeu du Oracle des Dames deck, designed by G. Regamey, originally printed by chromolithography by Hangard-Mauge (DDD p. 149). This style of card is generally referred to as “Grand Etteilla III.” Many of the trump figures are derived from the 15th century Nuremburg Chronicle(see link posted earlier in this thread).

Here is the comparable art deck circa 1865:

http://www.a.trionfi.eu/WWPCM/decks03/d01855/d01855.htm

These are beautiful playing cards that have copperplate titles of the personalities of court card associations with classical characters. I checked the courts/aces, but the artist isn't similar to Jeu des Dames.

Although the 'historic' nostalgia associated with cards and historic prints that Hangard-Mauge specialized in might explain the '"pseudo-15th century" costuming/look or fashion of the Jeu des Dames and the reinterpreted "Durer" look to the Sun and Moon cards of the trumps.

These bits and pieces might assist us to a closer dating of this tarot pattern. I have found some other listings for historic French art prints or engravings in luxery reference books with credits to the chromalithography of Hangard-Mauge circa 1850-1870.

The Editions Delarue book that I have with black and white engravings is undated.