Tabula Mundi Tarot: formerly Tarot "M"

Babalon Jones

Let's face it, it's been quite a week all round.
Though it is kind of sad that it's finished, but really it's just beginning, isn't it?
XpS

Yeah, sad for me as painting them was so fun. Those color scales are a blast. And towards the end I was really getting the hang of how these inks handle on this mylar. I had an epiphany during the process that they are *almost* like working with egg tempera - alternate layers of transparent and opaque, or layers of one or the other done in little short strokes, or differing directions, or with texture, sometimes hatching, works best. It all depends on which color it is as they all handle differently. Of course one masters a medium at the end of a 78 card project.

But it is a beginning too, as I can't wait to have the completed deck in my hands.

Somehow I have the feeling Babalon has at the very least the concept for a new deck, if not a outline of it. ;)

Haha you know me so well! *Hand on heart* "My name is Babalon Jones and I am a Tarot Creating addict." It is true that I have gotten to the point that this is all I remember how to do. After spending all of my time, thoughts, and energy on this process (starting with Rosetta, through all of Tabula Mundi) for 8 years, I don't know how to be normal, lol. And I realized that this is not a Saturn process, toil and endurance, although that certainly applies. Because that would be a 7 year cycle. I think this may be a Venus process, creativity and love on an 8 year cycle or even a Jupiter process, expansion and joy, as if I do another it will likely be another four years, so a 12 year cycle for 3 decks.

. Agreed! This deck deserves to not be rushed.

Yep, did a huge rush last year for the Nox et Lux. This time I will plan it all out.

Congratulations with finishing this big job! :thumbsup: Wow, so exciting! :D

Thanks so much!

Thoughtful

Is this a newer and different Tabula Mundi Tarot to the colour one issued in 2014. Just came across this thread and was a little confused as to another being published in 2016. If there are differences what are they.

Perhaps the deck l looked at here in the tarot decks section which has the publish date of 2014 was just an early preview ?

Just realised where my confusion lies, the Majors only were published 2014 but now we have the full deck being published 2016.

wooden-eye

Babalon!
Well done. What a mammoth task.
So proud of you. Obviously it will be hard to wait for the deck, but absolutely no rush. Basking in the satisfaction of a good job excellently done is way less than you deserve. Enjoy your victory!:thumbsup:

Babalon Jones

Is this a newer and different Tabula Mundi Tarot to the colour one issued in 2014. Just came across this thread and was a little confused as to another being published in 2016. If there are differences what are they.

Perhaps the deck l looked at here in the tarot decks section which has the publish date of 2014 was just an early preview ?

Just realised where my confusion lies, the Majors only were published 2014 but now we have the full deck being published 2016.

Yeah it is a little confusing, as there are two Majors decks (a black and white version and the full color version of the Majors) then the 78 card version Nox et Lux (black and white) was published in 2015.

Now hopefully in 2016 I can publish the color 78 card version, finally after all these years! (I did the first card at the end of 2011)

Babalon!
Well done. What a mammoth task.
So proud of you. Obviously it will be hard to wait for the deck, but absolutely no rush. Basking in the satisfaction of a good job excellently done is way less than you deserve. Enjoy your victory!:thumbsup:

Thanks wooden-eye! I know it is a big task to have done. Oddly I feel a little depressed instead of elated. Do you get that too after finishing a big project? I think it is a loss to not have it in progress as I enjoyed that part of it so much. By "that part" I mean the conceiving of ideas, and making them come to life, and of course the painting, and working with the color scales. I even liked writing the book.

With the exception of the card backs and extra cards (if I do them) there is no more "fun part" left. It is all the mundane stuff to do with getting them printed.

I had a dream last night that I got a phone call from a library answering a very important research question that I had supposedly told them I desperately needed 5 years ago (something about the existence and method of the manufacture of glass in 450-453 BC in Sumeria, lol) and I got the answer and couldn't remember now why I needed it, only that if I could remember it would solve a mystery or lead to a discovery of a treasure. When I woke up Mars was shining in the window on me, big bright and RED with Antares under it. LOL just can't help wonder if it is related.

Anyway I want to ask people if I should post more color cards on the website or if I should leave most of the color versions as a surprise at least until they are out.

Barleywine

Anyway I want to ask people if I should post more color cards on the website or if I should leave most of the color versions as a surprise at least until they are out.

Modern culture is basically one of "instant gratification," so I can guess what the consensus will be. I've already seen enough to know that I want the deck, so it really doesn't matter to me.

starlightexp

I like the surprise personally. I think you have given people the opportunity to see al the art in one form or another and so now this is just the perfection of that :)

Alta

I prefer to get some surprises.

Babalon Jones

Modern culture is basically one of "instant gratification," so I can guess what the consensus will be. I've already seen enough to know that I want the deck, so it really doesn't matter to me.

I like the surprise personally. I think you have given people the opportunity to see al the art in one form or another and so now this is just the perfection of that :)

I prefer to get some surprises.

Thank you all for the feedback on that. I really appreciate you taking time to comment. It helps a lot as I feel more clarity now.

And I myself lean in favor of leaving some unseen. I like seeing some things for the first time in a tactile way rather than on a screen. And there are enough on the site already to get an idea of what it is like, plus I will post more as I go. So most people will get a sense of the style especially those that have the black and white version. Though I know some insist on seeing all before they buy. But since the higher purpose of this is not sales, so be it.

I may be wrong but I do not think there are any "deal breaker" cards, to me they are all of similar style and quality (and no weird disturbing shite as I myself do not like that). But it is to the point where I have no idea which ones to showcase when the time comes. Last time I tried to do it randomly as I know taste is so subjective that someone elses fave might be my least fave and vice versa but mybe this time I will post my own faves. To be determined :) Maybe random is the way to go, just like in readings.

rylla

Thank you all for the feedback on that. I really appreciate you taking time to comment. It helps a lot as I feel more clarity now.

And I myself lean in favor of leaving some unseen. I like seeing some things for the first time in a tactile way rather than on a screen. And there are enough on the site already to get an idea of what it is like, plus I will post more as I go. So most people will get a sense of the style especially those that have the black and white version. Though I know some insist on seeing all before they buy. But since the higher purpose of this is not sales, so be it.

I may be wrong but I do not think there are any "deal breaker" cards, to me they are all of similar style and quality (and no weird disturbing shite as I myself do not like that). But it is to the point where I have no idea which ones to showcase when the time comes. Last time I tried to do it randomly as I know taste is so subjective that someone elses fave might be my least fave and vice versa but mybe this time I will post my own faves. To be determined :) Maybe random is the way to go, just like in readings.

Usually I like to see as many cards as possible in order to be able to decide and to see if there is any deal breaker. Not in this case. I have the Rosetta and love it, I've already seen your excellent work, I don't need to see ANY card in order to buy the deck :) Just saying.

ETA for those who are not familiar with your work, as a customer I find useful to see a wide variety of cards (I mean some from the majors, some from minors and some from court cards). I just bought the Custom Illusori Tarot Deck. I've seen it on etsy numerous times, it did not get my attention from the way it was advertised. Only when a nice AT member showed it on AT together with a link where actually you could see some of the cards (separately and not one on the top of the other)I realised: oh, wow, I really want these cards. Your cards really look so beautiful and expressive that they don't need to be thrown one on top of the other (many etsy pictures are like that). Not that you'd want to, again just saying. They deserve to be seen in their full beauty :)

nicky

I am so confused- I have the Rosetta and The Tabula Mundi Nox et Lux - (which is amazeballs btw) but cannot recall if this deck is orderable or will be or if I did etc...sucks getting old I cant remember a darn thing

arghhhh