The Cyberpunk Tarot

Clockwork Ghost

An electronic artist friend of mine has expressed interest in me helping him develop a Cyberpunk themed tarot deck. This is going to be a long process though - he works full time, as do I, and neither of us can commit a huge amount of time to the project. Probably be looking at one card per week, so complete project schedule is two years, inclusive of writing the guidebook (which I am really looking forward to).

We are looking at a fairly standard format, but will be changing the names of the suits, and a couple of the major arcana. Also thinking of changing the Page card in each suit to a Priest card, this reflecting the whole concept that AI's have become gods. Plan for the four suits is as follows:

1. Swords - Authority (Ace: Power, Superior Inner-Strength, Victory, Determination, Courage)
2. Wands - Networks (Ace: Creativity, Passionate Love, New Life, Potential)
3. Cups - Wires (Ace: Abundant Pleasure, Fullness of Spirit, Beautiful Situations)
4. Pentacles - Business (Ace: Prosperity, Having the Will to Succeed)

The biggest thing that springs to mind here is the way that Authority and Business are very similar concepts, while Swords and Pentacles are very different paradigms. Wires also kind of doesn't fit, as Authority, Networks, and Business are nebulous, while Wires are 'things'.

Only other major change would be renaming the High Priestess to the Cyber-Witch (or Witch, I dunno). All the card images will be themed around the cyberpunk genre, cards won't be read in reversed position (so will have extended meanings to reflect negative as well as positive connotations).

What do you guys think? Really keen to get any ideas from anyone, especially in regards to the name for the four suits.

HudsonGray

What, the High Priestess isn't 'Tech Support"? LOL

Debra

Wires and Networks seem similar to me, too.

Why do you want to relabel or reconceptualize the suits, the courts, and the majors? I think it's sometimes clever but sometimes it strikes me as kinda gimmicky.

I'm just thinking that swords, sticks, coins and cups can work just as well in the cyberpunk world.

In Delaney's Nova a tarot deck features prominently. It's pre-cyberpunk technically but gives me the same feeling as Gibson's work.

Clockwork Ghost

Yeah, I agree 100% - still working on the names, all a work in progress at this stage.

Why do you want to relabel or reconceptualize the suits, the courts, and the majors? I think it's sometimes clever but sometimes it strikes me as kinda gimmicky.

I agree, it can kinda come across as gimmicky, and I'm going to have to work out ways around that. When the Steampunk Tarot came out that was seen as a rather gimmicky deck due to its subject matter and artwork - I guess part of me just wants to strike a new path while drawing upon my own 20 years experience to keep everything legit. Part of the development is going to be deciding who the target market really is - people who like cyberpunk and are interested in tarot, or people who collect tarot cards, read them, and are interested in a different approach.

I'm just thinking that swords, sticks, coins and cups can work just as well in the cyberpunk world.

Definitely - I'm trying to keep that feel too. What is the dark future equivalent of a stick? Or a coin?

In Delaney's Nova a tarot deck features prominently. It's pre-cyberpunk technically but gives me the same feeling as Gibson's work.

Yeah, totally. There is a huge amount of magick imagery in William Gibsons books - the whole idea that a sentient AI is a Lwa, for example.

Thanks very much for your comments and advice - it's all really helping heaps. I've (hopefully) attached the initial sketch of the first card below - The Fool.

Attachments

• Fool.jpg
    Fool.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 717

Debra

Oh, this is going to be interesting.
There are sticks and knives and cups and coins in the future. Of this I'm sure. :laugh:

Mabuse

Arabic numbers might be better!

Here are my 2 cents. Tarot decks do not need to use Roman numerals. Do not cling to habits if they do not fit your intentions. For futuristic styles it might be better to use Arabic numerals especially if the typeface resembles calculator or LED displays.

If you have not seen Fritz Lang's film Metropolis, I would recommend you do so as it might give you some interesting ideas. I highly doubt that Lang was influenced by the Tarot when making his films, but when watching Metropolis, I find the imagery quite similar to Tarot symbolism.

A more recent film The Matrix might also be a good source of inspiration. Someone a while back posted a video on YouTube comparing the Matrix to the Tarot.

Clockwork Ghost

Thanks for the input - it is extremely valued. :)

Kallisti

Or numbers in binary?

"Oh no, the 1010 of Authority!"

bogiesan

The electrical transmission grid is not the same as the local distribution system which is not the same as an electric range. Not at all.

I say, do whatever you want. Decide if it's going to be cute (no harm in that, you'd be in excellent company) or gimmicky (it's possible to riff on a gimmick and turn it into high art, just remember you have 78 gimmicks to come up with) or original (many failures but some superb art and spiritual advances have been created with a tarot motif) and stick with it.

I give you more like five years. Creating 78 individual pieces of art, encapsulated within an aristic theme, AND a book--a tremendous project, huge. Try to have fun and not to let the project mess with your friendship.