Help Identify Mother's Day Gift

cynthea

My husband found 3 decks at an out of town Goodwill! Second time he found some decks @ $2.00 each, he takes the risk- some are fortune telling, but 1 looks like an Il Meneghello deck. There is no identifying card. I have 2 newer decks by Il Meneghello and this box is made the same. This 2 piece box is covered in all cream/tan (very discolored) w/ the Lovers card affixed to front. I have identified deck as a VANDENBORRE BACCHUS from both Ace & Two of Coins. The card shape w/ square corners are also like my other Il Meneghello, the back has light blue hexagrams w/ sun image? - made with rays, no circle made by line, and abstract eyes-nose-mouth made with lines.I would like to identify and assess value. I am thinking of selling- probably would not use. Have not been able to find if Il Meneghello ever made Vandenborre Bacchus deck.

Addendum- from responses below the card back is like posted images, however the box is different. The box does not appear mass produced, there is no printing on box, only the Lovers card glued to top cover which lifts off. If you have seen Il Meneghello box, this is made the same way.

Deck 2 is a 1969 BP Grimaud Astro Mythological Mlle Lenormand.The copyright is on booklet. I have seen newer editions on eBay and Amazon.

Any help, ideas who to ask for more info etc . Thank you :)

cynthea

Images - how to post

How do I post images- I can add to Pinterest, but how do others just have page for image ?
FAQ states " below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments". I have no such button, only miscellaneous options and thread options.

gregory

You can only post images (attachments) here if you are a subscriber.

But you can upload to somewhere like imgur and post a link.

gregory

Your Vandenborre doesn't sound like an Il Meneghello to me; the way you describe the backs sounds like my Carta Mundi copy. (And no, I don't think Il Meneghello ever did put one out...)

Seems to be up on ebay for $189 with no takers, also for 60 euros on ebay from a seller who knows their stuff, so the price is likely fair as a start price, and in Dutch on Amazon for $89.

Attachments

• Van den Borre.jpg
    Van den Borre.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 282

cynthea

Different box

Yes, that is the card back and cards, but the box is two piece with top lifting off, appears like Il Meneghello style with Lovers card affixed to cover and box covered in a cream/tan paper (darker than cream but lighter than tan), does not appear mass produced. Who other than Il Meneghello makes their boxes like this, I am wondering?

cynthea

thank you :)

You can only post images (attachments) here if you are a subscriber.

But you can upload to somewhere like imgur and post a link.

thanks,for taking time to help :)

gregory

Yes, that is the card back and cards, but the box is two piece with top lifting off, appears like Il Meneghello style with Lovers card affixed to cover and box covered in a cream/tan paper (darker than cream but lighter than tan), does not appear mass produced. Who other than Il Meneghello makes their boxes like this, I am wondering?
Quite a few people make fancy boxes.

But for the record - my copy IS from Aurelia/Carta Mundi and IS in a lift top box, just as you describe it. Though mine has Hanged Man on the top. I would lay good money that yours is a Carta Mundi from an earlier print run. I bought mine new for £7 in the mid 1980s - and the printing doesn't seem to have changed at all, just the box - it wasn't a limited edition or anything, though I suppose the different box might up the price some - all you can do is list and see what you get. Tarot doesn't really work as an investment, but you would get more than $2 !

(And incidentally, most of my Meneghello decks are in book-style sleeves tied with ribbon, not lift top boxes...)