Absalom and the Sola Busca Three of Swords

Pen

This may have been noticed before, aplologies if so. But could there be a connection between the biblical death of Absalom and the Sola Busca Three of Swords? There's a hint of the Hanged Man too.

From 2 Samuel xviii, 1-17

Then said Joab, I may not tarry thus with thee. And he took three darts in his hand, and thrust them through the heart of Absalom, while he was yet alive in the midst of the oak. And ten young men that bare Joab's armor compassed about and smote Absalom, and slew him. And Joab blew the trumpet, and the people returned from pursuing after Israel: for Joab held back the people. And they took Absalom, and cast him into a great pit in the wood, and laid a very great heap of stones upon him: and all Israel fled every one to his tent.

The full text is here: Death of Absalom

Pen

Abrac

That's an interesting idea. I've never seen a symbol exactly like this one (with three swords) anywhere other than the tarot. I've seen similar symbols used to represent sorrow, only with one or two swords.

In Christian art, the Virgin Mary is depicted as Our lady of Sorrows with seven swords through her heart:

http://www.passionistnuns.org/Saints/SorrowfulMother/LadySorrows2.jpg

I imagine the idea of a pierced heart as symbolic for sorrow must be very old.

Paul Huson, having done much research into the origins of the cards, writes in Mystical Origins of the Tarot, "Whether the Sola-Busca design was a fanciful one or based on tradition is hard to say."

Pen

Hi Abrac,

I've been looking at the Sola Busca recently in connection with this idea, and noticed for the first time (it seems obvious once one does) that the swords appear sheathed. Then there's the wreath with fruit below the heart, which is also pierced by the sword tips. Funnily enough, on examination it doesn't seem that sorrowful an image.

I can't remember seeing a heart pierced by three arrows/swords/darts anywhere else either, which is odd considering that three has always been a magic number. But I must look again at the emblem book that illustrates only hearts.

Mary Greer has suggested a biblical alternative for The Queen of Cups (Polisena), here.

Interesting....

Pen

Pen

Abrac said:
That's an interesting idea. I've never seen a symbol exactly like this one (with three swords) anywhere other than the tarot. I've seen similar symbols used to represent sorrow, only with one or two swords.

In Christian art, the Virgin Mary is depicted as Our lady of Sorrows with seven swords through her heart:

http://www.passionistnuns.org/Saints/SorrowfulMother/LadySorrows2.jpg

I imagine the idea of a pierced heart as symbolic for sorrow must be very old.

Paul Huson, having done much research into the origins of the cards, writes in Mystical Origins of the Tarot, "Whether the Sola-Busca design was a fanciful one or based on tradition is hard to say."

There is a heart pierced with three darts, spears or arrows in this emblem book on page 65 (53 actual numbered page). My Latin is not good enough to translate quickly, but it might be worth spending time on, if only for curiosity's sake.

Francisci Ponæ Cardiomorphoseos

Later on in the book there's a heart pierced by three arrows from behind, with a hand-held spear at the front.

Later still is the heart with seven swords.

Pen

Pen

I began to copy out the Latin only to discover that the emblem is clearly about the Death of Absalom.

Pen

Bernice

Goldenweb: But could there be a connection between the biblical death of Absalom and the Sola Busca Three of Swords?
the emblem is clearly about the Death of Absalom...
You got it first time around! Isn't it gratifying to get confirmation :).

I don't have this deck, by the time I was ready to buy it, there weren't any copies left - aside from ebay :)bugeyed:). But I have some scans, and it's good to now know the original intention for this card. Thank you for the detective work Pen.

Bee :)

Pen

Bee, I don't think we can say that we now know the original intention for this card - lots more evidence needed to convince the serious historians methinks. But it's an interesting possibility to consider...:)

Pen

Bernice

goldenweb said:
Bee, I don't think we can say that we now know the original intention for this card - lots more evidence needed to convince the serious historians methinks. But it's an interesting possibility to consider...:)

Pen
But you've got to admit, whether 'intention' or 'influence', this is an integral part of the image - or it would'nt be there!

Bee :)

Pen

It has certainly added depth to the pierced heart of the usual Three of Swords for me. And it's funny how, once you know something, you can't 'unknow' it. Sometimes this is a good thing, sometimes not - good here, I think...:)

Pen

PTAH

Absalom and King David

goldenweb said:
This may have been noticed before, aplologies if so. But could there be a connection between the biblical death of Absalom and the Sola Busca Three of Swords? There's a hint of the Hanged Man too.

From 2 Samuel xviii, 1-17

The full text is here: Death of Absalom

Pen

Very interesting observation, especially when you consider the possible identification of the King of Swords as King David the exemplar of divine justice, and the Ace as his sword won from Goliath.