A Biblical connection?

Artemis Sans

I was admiring my Thoth deck when I noticed the four etheric animals pulling the Chariot were the same as the four heads of the angels as described by Ezekiel in the book of Ezekiel and Paul in the book of Revelations. "And they then appeared before me, beings so great as I'd never seen. Each had four heads, one resembling a lion, one a man, one a bull, and the last an eagle..." So, what could this mean?

-Artemis

Macavity

I believe the four symbols (similar to those on world cards of many decks) and are conventionally attributed to the "four evangalists". I recall an interesting twist, in the C-T, was to "counterchange" them (heraldic term, slightly misused, but descriptive) whereby, the heads and feet of the various beasts are swapped to represent "elemental combinations"?

Macavity

Minderwiz

They are also sometimes taken as Bull (Taurus) Lion (Leo), Eagle (Scorpio) and Man (Aquarius) - giving the four fixed signs of the Zodiac.

The Eagle has quite often been used as a secondary symbol for Scorpio instead of the more familiar Scorpion and Aquarius is of course a human sign (Water Carrier).

How old these symbols are is difficult to establish but cults of the Bull flourished around the time that the Spring Equinox occured in Taurus (and hence the other signs marked the other three cardinal points). At the time of Ezekiel the Spring Equinox had moved into Aries (as seen in the sky) but the connection with Bulls and Taurus was probably still quite strong.

isthmus nekoi

Artemis, you will also find these animals represented in the Hierophant and the World in the Thoth deck.

As for the meaning, I'm not sure. Thoth is not the only deck to feature these 4 signs though.

Artemis Sans

Actually, the WOrld in the RWS has the same symbols. But I asked a Christian friend of mine and she said that God made the angels (or whatever they were) look like that to show his omnipotence, but that interpretation doesn't sit well with me... Any other thoughts on the connection?

isthmus nekoi

Ah, you got me curious, so I did a little search on google and found this site:
http://www.hermetic.com/osiris/onthepowersofthesphinx.htm

I would interpret their presence w/i the context of the card. For instance, just some quick ideas: in Hierophant, perhaps the kerubs relate to the man's ability to control his willpower, or having spiritual guidance that is in perfect proportion.

Minderwiz

The RWS also has the 4 beasts on the Wheel of Fortune.

Ezkiel 10 describes the four living beings stood together, facing in four opposite directions, and between them were four great wheels, each wheel being double, so that it could roll forward or sideways. Thus this angelic chariot, in whatever of the four directions it moved, always presented the same aspect. And both angels and wheels were all studded with eyes. To me this again stresses the interpretation of the four cardinal points.

The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops also have an interpretation of the four beasts:

‘Lion . . . calf . . . human being . . . eagle: these symbolize, respectively, what is noblest, strongest, wisest, and swiftest in creation. Calf: traditionally translated "ox," the Greek word refers to a heifer or young bull. Since the second century, these four creatures have been used as symbols of the evangelists Mark, Luke, Matthew, and John, respectively.’ (From United States Conference of Catholic Bishops) The four creatures may also represent universal creation . ‘ Covered with eyes: these suggest God’s knowledge and concern..

http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/bible/revelation/revelation4.htm

isthmus nekoi

Oh Artemis, had a look through my Thoth and RW. Realized the 4 animals of Thoth's chariot are 4 versions of the Sphinx (amalgamation of the 4 kerubs). RW chariot also has Sphinxes. Very neat.

Minderwiz, the wheel/Sphinx connection then would link the Chariot and the Wheel. Challenges, tests, riddles, fate. Interesting...