Reading Reversed Lenormand Cards

ThtDancerGuy

I know traditionally a Lenormand reader is not supposed to read Lenormand cards reversed, but traditions change and oracle systems differ with the reader.

I have been thinking that it would be pretty cool (and useful) to incorporate reversed meanings into Lenormand for when you have those pesky sitters who just don't know how to shuffle a deck and keep the cards' upright order intact at the same time. lol If we developed a reversed meanings system for Lenormand, then that problem would be solved completely because then it obviously wouldn't matter how they shuffled. :)

So, with that said, does anybody here read the reversed Lenormand cards if/when they ever come up? Or do you fully embrace reversed Lenormand cards and their messages? And if so, how do you personally choose to interpret them?

Lunajade

reversed cards

I don't read reversals myself. I know that Seaqueen has a post on her blog about (her) brief meanings for reversed cards. Laura Tuan's (lenormand oracle) book gives meanings for reversals. So if you are interested to incorparate reversed meanings into lenormand i suggest you check out those sources. Have fun with your cards.

lupercalia

From my understanding of Lenormand, it doesn't need reversals. I may be biased since I don't read reversals in tarot either, but Lenormand seems uniquely ill-suited to reversals given that distance and card placement already have the sort of effect on cards that reversal readings often give in tarot.

If reversed cards come up, I just flip them around. Not everything has significance for me.

Tag_jorrit

Yep, just flip them right side up. But they are your cards and you can read them any way you want to.

But for the first 150 years or so reversals weren't used and only in the last few years has anyone made up meanings for them.

Reading Lenormand cards is totally unlike tarot. When you read Lenormand cards, you don't read the cards individually or lay them out like in tarot where you have a card land at a certain place in a spread and its meaning is appropriate to the location.

The Lenormand is read in combinations, like creating sentences or paragraphs by combining the meanings of the cards in front of you and applying them to the context of a pointed question. Once you grasp the meanings of the individual cards and understand the nuances of combining them, you see that there really is no need for reversals.

UrbanBramble

I wouldn't read lenormand with reversals. But the Sibilias are read with reversals traditionally so I think if you were interested in a predictive tradition using reversals you could look into them.

kell

The Lilac Cherry Twilight Lenormand is a set of two complete decks. In the booklet, the Cherry definition is more of the 'shadow' meaning. The decks can be used together, creating a system similar to using reversals. I think I read on Sylvie Steinbach's site that using 2 decks (reversals) is unique to Eastern European tradition.

Vanchica

I think because the Lenormand are based on playing cards (which don't have reversals) there is no sense in a reversed reading approach.

Vanchica

And I see Laura Tuan is listed on Amazon as the author of the cards "French Cartomancy"- cards which I love but that have the WORST LWB ever written about Lenormand cards, and that include reversals- the whole LWB is keerap

Vanchica

Sorry- I don't feel that reversals are keerap, please note, tho - my first comment stands

conurelover

I think it would be interesting to hear from people that read reversed Lenormand cards.

I am odd in this thread because I only read court and majors reversed in tarot.