What's the difference between The Rider and The Letter?

twinrambull

Many of the cards have meanings that can overlap a bit. But I feel the general thrust of the Rider is that something/someone is coming, while the Letter represents written text.

Okay, so now that brings me to another question....the difference between Rider and Stork? I see similarities in both their meanings now that you said Rider could indicate an incoming, generally speaking.

Lenormand is so much more confusing than I though :(

twinrambull

Rider also can be a Knight in shining armour on the way (lover). A young man, a person delivering news or it can be transport. road trip would be this.

Letter can be any communication, not just a letter, email, sometimes telephone calls but that is more birds but contact in some form. It can also signify some types of paper documents and also the media and communications type industry / jobs.

think of the Rider as someone bringing news and the letter as a message or Rider is the post man, Letter is what they bring :)

But Rider is never a permanent influence, right? And could Rider also be an extension of Man if they're in the same spread (like a Grand Tableu for example)

Lee

How do you know it represents movement vs. a young man? I've heard it can represent a young man as well, it's just confusing for a beginner. For example what if The Rider was the first card and Whip was second. Does that describe an athletic young man, or does it mean bad news?
Either. The cards have a range of meanings and the combination of any two cards could have many, many potential meanings. This is why a question is so important. The question provides a frame of reference, a context which helps you choose from the possibilities.

If the question concerns a person, then it could mean an athletic young man. If it concerns news you're waiting for, then it could mean bad news or news of an argument. If it's about a relationship, it could mean an argument is coming. If you're asking whether something that came to you once will come again, Rider+Whip means it will come again (Rider=incoming, Whip=repetition).

Just as when reading tarot with positional layouts you combine the position meaning with the card meaning, likewise in Lenormand you combine the cards' meanings with the context as specified in the question.

conurelover

Okay, so now that brings me to another question....the difference between Rider and Stork? I see similarities in both their meanings now that you said Rider could indicate an incoming, generally speaking.

Lenormand is so much more confusing than I though :(

Stork signifies an improvement, a change of something for the better...

I don't see it as similar to the rider at all.

Hang in there, you are doing fine I think...

scooperpat

Rider is good news coming.
Letter is secret, something hidden in the news.

monisina

Either. The cards have a range of meanings and the combination of any two cards could have many, many potential meanings. This is why a question is so important. The question provides a frame of reference, a context which helps you choose from the possibilities.

If the question concerns a person, then it could mean an athletic young man. If it concerns news you're waiting for, then it could mean bad news or news of an argument. If it's about a relationship, it could mean an argument is coming. If you're asking whether something that came to you once will come again, Rider+Whip means it will come again (Rider=incoming, Whip=repetition).

Just as when reading tarot with positional layouts you combine the position meaning with the card meaning, likewise in Lenormand you combine the cards' meanings with the context as specified in the question.

Hello,
I consider the card Ring is better describing the repetition of something instead of Whip card.

In my personal experience in GT spreading, when I got Letter card in the house of Cross - I learnt very important but very painful information from one person (I thought this person has had a some feelings for me but he told me I was wrong, he is indifferent to me). It was shocking for me nad put me into very serious depresion lasting a few months but helpt me to move forward and now I am grateful I know the true. It is a strange because Rider card better describes a personal communication between peple or personal message but in my case, amazingly, it was Letter card.

ThtDancerGuy

Both of them bring news. Does The Rider signify the messenger moreso than the message itself?

Yes, the Rider can refer to the actual messenger (usually a man), of course with the appropriate cards surrounding it to point towards that. It can also be a time card, describing that something will come in very soon and/or swiftly, depending upon the context of the inquiry. Rarely does Rider take on a physical energy when referring to messages, obviously with the exception of indicating the messenger bringing those messages.

The Letter is more of a physical object than the Rider is; Letter speaks of the actual message that arrives, with the appropriate cards around it to describe its contents. Oftentimes when I will ask my cards about my developing Mediumship and the state of its growth, the Letter will come up, indicating the actual reception of the (spiritual) message/s. The cards around the Letter explain to me whether or not the messages are/will be coming in clearly or not for me.

ThtDancerGuy

Hello,
I consider the card Ring is better describing the repetition of something instead of Whip card.

While you may not see Whip as the card for repetition, traditionally (and to many other readers), it is seen that way. Where we personally get our meanings for the cards actually comes from our personal/past experiences and beliefs, which we carry with us from our culture, traditions, and so on. Because these cards are everyday symbols and concepts over time with which we all have come into contact, we subconsciously attach personal feelings and meanings to them based upon what we know them to mean in our lives. I fully understand how you see Ring as a card of repetition instead of Whip: Ring is circular and thus can point to a cycle (or cycles) of motion, in a more metaphorical and less physical sense. And that is absolutely right.

For instance, I have always felt that the Lily (for me) can mean death and mourning (on top of other more traditional meanings, albeit), and in my readings on spirituality it speaks to me of psychic communication with departed souls, whereas others would shoot that meaning down because traditionally it doesn't mean that in the slightest.

lennylove

Rider is the client receiving news through a person and the next card will tell if it's good, bad, or even how it will be received.

Letter is the client receiving news through documentation (preferably text messages, email, and post office; please remember this isn't an exhaustive list).

Rider came up for me when a young man was frantically trying to reach me each time I pulled cards regarding him after a bad date where I told him get lost (kind of a funny story).

Letter can be a bit stagnant. It can be someone sending you information you already know or they're saying things to get a response. I've also had Letter come up as one way communication such as your message was sent, but there will be no response.

Teheuti

Rider for deliveries, news, errands, the messenger (as well as a person - esp. athlete, lover - small vehicle, swiftness, etc.). It tends to be positive.

Letter for any kind of paper/document (except a book). In itself, it's neutral.

Birds - face-to-face, gossip, conversations, phone calls (in addition to stress, worries, and, when at a distance, a short trip or vacation). It tends toward negative.

Book - for books, education, knowledge, but most specifically secrets. The original name for the card was Zauberbuch, which means magic book or grimoire. It is neutral, unless a secret, when it's more or less negative.

Stork has nothing to do with news. It's change and improvement; occasionally migration - neutral or somewhat positive. Along with Ship it can indicate an airplane flight or immigration.