Is there a modern recreation of the "Gringonneur"?

Melvis

I was browsing through Kaplan's Encyclopedia (Vol. I) today and was struck by the beauty of the so-called "Gringonneur" cards. Then I went online and saw a color version of the unique Moon card on the Villa Revak site. Now I'm really in love!

I know that only 17 of the originals were ever found, but I wondered if any modern card company has tried to recreate the deck. Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

Peace,

Melvis
:TSTRE

Cerulean

Tarotgarden.com lists a French

reproduction called the Charles VI, which has 23 cards. It is a total modern recreation and out of print--very pretty, though.

Margaret Starbird uses this modern one in her illustrations of Tarot and the Holy Grail (Her essay is a college paper she completed some time ago) and says they came from Brian Innes collection used in his book The Tarot: How to Use and Interpret the Cards. Margaret Starbird correctly says modern historians attribute the original Charles VI to Ferarra in style and possible origins.

I'll try to link to the thread where I wrote this all down. Dover Books in it's antique playing cards samples also has a few scans--black and white and a few color cards. The only less expensive book that shows them all with nice commentary is the Art of the Tarot by Christine Oleson. Otherwise you have to hunt for out of print museum catalogues...

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16808&highlight=charles+vi

The GOOD news is the very very busy Mr. Riccardo Minetti of Lo Scarabeo sometime last year suggested that in 2004 there will be a reproduction...no scans, news or anything lately, as he seems to be doing many tarot decks and other things for his publisher...

More than you wanted to know! Can you tell that I've been waiting, too?

Mari Hoshizaki

Melvis

Yippee! Once again Lo Scarabeo comes through! Now that it's nearly 2004, hopefully we won't have to wait too much longer.

I'll have to go to Tarot Garden and take a look at the OOP one, too. I should have thought of searching for "Charles VI" in addition to "Gringonneur".

Thanks, Mari!

Peace,

Melvis
:TSTRE