Group ideas?

Rusty Neon

Brainstorming ideas for Meditation/Divination-related threads

Hi everyone ... In the ongoing exploration of the 78 cards of the Tarot de Marseille, we've tried card studies (Twos, Threes, and, I think, Fours) in the past and we've recently tried Group Readings and the Free-Association Exercise. I won't give up on those last two things, at least not yet. (Unfortunately, there wasn't much interest for the Free-Association exercise launched just recently.)

I was wondering if you have any other thread suggestions that would entice you (and other people) to actively study and work with the 78 cards of the Marseilles for divination and meditation and to actively post on the forum in that regard?

Perhaps putting cards together in triples and telling a story with them ...

P.S.: This thread is meant to be a no-obligation exploration of new thread ideas. No one (including me) is obligated to start or participate in threads implementing any such ideas. :)

Mimers

Hi Rusty,

I loved your free-association idea, and still plan on carrying it out. I just havent had the time yet. Maybe with fewer cards would be better for some people.

I also like your story idea. Pulling three cards and telling a story. I know there are threads already on the numbered pips and their meaning which is good. We could also try delving into what the different colors on the cards represent.

Perhaps between the 2 of us, we could revive those threads where we were studying the different pips in groups. That was really going great for a while.

I will let you know if I think of anything else.

Take care,
Mimi

Rusty Neon

Hi mimi ... The pips-in-number-groups exercise was a good idea. It got quite a few people involved. It may be interesting, though, to focus on one single card at a time per thread (rather than the four pip cards that carry the same number). That way, we could look at the card in the context of relevant pip cards of the same suit, looking for design differences. For me at least, the pips are especially dynamic when examined comparatively within the same suit.

Just my thoughts.

Cerulean

Here's a babble of ideas

I'm interested in early Marseilles topics.

I would enjoy Vieville and Paris Tarot topics, design concepts and notes from people playing with these decks..whatever anyone can say about their Camoin Bicentennial reprints and in observing cross-cultural currents and designs that might also show tiny
resemblances to historical Italian and other country card designs.

At the moment since I'm doing a very loose summary for myself based on historical timelines of Egyptian revivalists, their concepts and a broad overview of 'hermetic' slants that pop into the Egyptianized slant. I'm rereading History of the Occult Tarot and finishing a good biography of Caligstro, at least the physical embodiment behind the myths.

Mari H.

Rusty Neon

(delete)

crystal cove

I'll participate in whatever is put out there.

However, in the interest of attracting a good sized group that will actively participate, I think what is needed is to finish the pip studies. Many people are interested in Marseille decks, but where can they get the information they need to begin their study? As far as I know, there are no books in English that can help with this. Until all of the pips are addressed, it will be difficult for people to participate in the group studies and storytelling threads, which are great study methods, BTW, but most people won't be comfortable participating until they have a working knowledge of the pips.

In case anyone is interested, ;) I've read all the threads in the forum's table of contents and I really enjoyed the pip card study that Mimers and others contributed to. (Sorry, I don't remember the other names off the top of my head) If there is interest in reviving those threads, I'll be there. I'd also like to suggest that if we do start them back up again, that we start where it was left off to at least cover each card at least once. We can always add to the threads that are there if need be. Also, there are several of the court cards that have never been discussed.......;)

crystal cove

Rusty Neon said:
It may be interesting, though, to focus on one single card at a time per thread (rather than the four pip cards that carry the same number). That way, we could look at the card in the context of relevant pip cards of the same suit, looking for design differences. For me at least, the pips are especially dynamic when examined comparatively within the same suit.

Just my thoughts.

I'm open to that. :)

lark

I wish something like Thirteens Basics could be written up for the Marseilles deck.
Maybe something like that will come out of these threads.

crystal cove

lark said:
I wish something like Thirteens Basics could be written up for the Marseilles deck.
Maybe something like that will come out of these threads.

jmd did a fabulous job setting up the table of contents. I think if we can get all the cards discussed at least once, it can function in that capacity.

Major Tom

Is this open for those outside North America?

I recognise that although one may start a thread, it isn't always guaranteed people will respond.

I'd like to study the Marseilles pips. I can see the usefulness of studying by number and by suite or even by the individual card. Who wants to start the threads?

I'll join in where I can. :)