How accurate is 78 Degrees of Wisdom for this deck?

The Wounded King

As a beginner to Tarot I found the book fascinating and insightful, but not always useful for divinatory purposes. I suppose I wanted to find the 'right' answers and meanings for a card, but have quickly learnt through experience and through other postings that there is no such thing. I still find this book invaluable, but it is only one of the many books I use to learn with.
As with the other comments made I found that you can be led to meaning and made to think about aspects and elements of the cards and this book is very much in that vein.
I use the Radiant Rider-Waite deck which works very well for me.
I welcome any recommendations for any other books to use with this deck - I am using 'Learning the Tarot' and 'Pictures from the Heart' - both of which I have found very useful. Now about reversals and court cards....

AmyV

78 Degrees

I think this is a fabulous book; however, it doesn't really cover the practical aspects of divinatory meanings.

I started with another book, Paul Fenton-Smith's The Tarot Revealed, which looks at the cards from both psychological and practical angles - that is the author discussed the emotional situations the card dealt with, and generally added a very tangible meaning too, such as travel or a new job or whatever. I like this book, because the author draws on what Waite wrote, on astrology, psychology, lots of experience, he seems pretty cool.

After a few months I got 78 Degrees of wisdom, and I have to say that reading it was what really opened up the Tarot to me. It went so deeply into the cards that I began to really understand them, and I got way more out of the other book as a result; I began to relate to the cards in a much deeper and more significant way.

To really appreciate the book though Deana, I think you need to read the book from the front to the back, or at least the Majors before the Minors. I find with books in general that you need to reach the wavelength of the author before the book really speaks, and I think that reading the part about the Majors lets you see where Rachel Pollack is coming from so you can get more out the relatively little she says about the Minors.

But of course, go with what you feel because your interpretation of any card is just as valid as Rachel Pollack's or anyone else's! :)

PlatinumDove

Just remember, what you see in a card someone else may not, how they may interpret it is not how you may interpret it. The Tarot is a very subjective area.

ArcanoMáximo

I wonder

if when you say 78Dg you are saying also " The Open Laberinth ", that was for me an exellent complement. Then, are you speaking about the 3 books?

Satori

Hi Deana,
I wish I had something more profound to offer, I'm just writing to thank you for the good laugh I had reading your introductory post. Oh I needed that laugh! I've only browsed the book 78 Degrees of Wisdom. I took it out from the library and it just never captured my interest. And this was a disappointment, because I have Forest of Souls and love it.

Anyway, your own comparative work with the decks you chose is probably the best work you can do.

And knowing the Old Path deck is a big bonus because you have there a really different perspective on RWS, just like you said.

Might I add that adding a Druidcraft to your study will really round out the delicious Tarot buffet you have going. The Druidcraft really brought the RWS back into the game for me. I love it. And I also recommend the Tarot of Prague and the Tarot De Paris to your study.

Best,
elf

Emeraldgirl

Hi Deana,

I have read this book and I really enjoyed it although I found it to be a bit long winded at times and it sort of veers off in directions I wouldn't have taken. I would definately recommend this book but along with a variety of others. I don't feel that any one book has yet covered everything there is to cover and learn and experience in tarot and I doubt that one ever will so until then it's good to take what you need from the books you can and leave the rest for the people who need what you don't. Afterall something that appears insignificant to you may be a pearl of wisdom for someone else and vice versa.

I think that tarot is essentially something that needs personal definition. I have the same issue with the 3 of Pentacles in the RWS deck. Most book meanings say that it shows teamwork, I personally see that the workman/maoson is looking more pi**ed off than anything like he's just about finished and here come a couple of people who know nothing about the job he is doing with a plans and what I feel are changes to the original plans so he has to start over and is really annoyed about that. I have jad a few other people agree when I have shown them the card. So with that I usually just go for whatever I think when it comes up relying on intuition and the surrounding cards.

ArcanoMáximo

I now understand

why you all say "this" book. I bought 3 books with these titles: 1st)78 Grados de Sabiduría/ Arcanos Mayores. 2nd) 78 Grados de Sabiduría/ Arcanos Menores. 3rd) 78 Grados de Sabiduría: El Laberinto Abierto.
But now there is just only 1 book with the two first volume and the Open Labyritn is not reprenting, but will be with another titlle. Here is the link:

http://www.rachelpollack.com/reviews/interviewwilkes.html

Moongold

I think 78DW is a classic but perhaps not one for a beginner. It was the first Tarot book I purchased but something like Pollack's Complete Illustrated Guide to the Tarot might be better for beginners. I could not understand 78DW at first.

A someone else has acknowledged 78DW was written in 1980 dealing initially with just the Major Arcana. I think Part 2 with the Minor Arcana and readings came in 1983. It was reprinted in 1997 but even so was outstanding amongst its class at that time.

I see 78DW now as a Rachel Pollack's personal journey through the Tarot and find it interesting from that perspective alone. She makes wideranging associations which are interesting because they are personal and you're simply inspired to follow up those threads yourself. She gives one of the best explanations of how the Celtic Cross may work that I've ever seen and the work spread which she designed is still a classic.

These things are all very personal and one person's preference won't be another's of course. :)

Deana

I haven't visited this thread for awhile. But I did end up liking 78DW so much that I'm now reading Forest of Souls. :) And no, I wasn't including Open Labyrinth when I said 78DW, but I checked that one out of the library a few weeks ago. I also bought Shining Tribe but have barely used it.

Moongold

You'll use Shining Tribe when Forest of Souls arrives. Pollack refers to ST constantly in the book. I love Shining Tribe as well but don't use it much at all now. Special occasions only.