Steve Walker and the Gay Tarot

Zephyros

Call me out of it, but up intil a few days ago I had never heard of this fabulous Canadian painter, who usually draws couples of gay men, in a most remarkable, intimate way. I have become completely enamoured with his work!

http://www.questart.com/

While I can't really find a connection between the deck and his work, I was wondering if there was a certain inspiration taken from his paintings. The intimacy, the simplicity and and the simple beauty of the deck, and the paintings, seem somewhat similar.

Not to detract from the deck, of course, which is among my favorites!!

Flavio

closrapexa said:
While I can't really find a connection between the deck and his work, I was wondering if there was a certain inspiration taken from his paintings. The intimacy, the simplicity and and the simple beauty of the deck, and the paintings, seem somewhat similar.
Thank you for this post and link, I had already seen some of Steve Walker's art without a credit on it, is nice that through this study group I got to know more of the artisit. The only connection I found in both works is they are pieces of gay art (inspired by & aimed to) depicting characters beyond stereotypes in a tasteful way.

Lee

Thanks for the link, closrapexa. You're right, his work evokes a very similar mood, and often similar subjects (the umbrella in the rain, cooking at the stove, etc.)!

-- Lee

tarotbear

Of all of them I find 'Requiem' the most moving image ...

Zephyros

tarotbear said:
Of all of them I find 'Requiem' the most moving image ...

Actually I connected the most to "Coming or Going"... but then... ahem

Well, never mind why for now...

la-luna

My favorite would be "Home"

The 78th Fool

What an awesome artist. It's so rare to see gay art that portrays gay men with taste. I look at these and I almost want to step into the canvasses and inhabit the world they portray - surely a sign that the artist got it right.

Of all of these my favourite has to be Oasis 2002 - If only the world really did glow with that intensity of light and tranquility.

Chris. xx

Lee

This is an interesting point. I think when we're children, we see the world this way. As we get older, the world seems to fade a bit and we no longer see this wondrous light. Artists, however (of whom Chris is one!) do see it, and not only do they see it, they manage to communicate it to us so we can once again see that light.

-- Lee

la-luna

Lee said:
This is an interesting point. I think when we're children, we see the world this way. As we get older, the world seems to fade a bit and we no longer see this wondrous light. Artists, however (of whom Chris is one!) do see it, and not only do they see it, they manage to communicate it to us so we can once again see that light.

-- Lee

perhaps a collaboration on a new tarot together with him could be interesting Lee ?

The 78th Fool

Now there's a thought!!
Chris. xx

Anyway - Lee gets to vet everything on the Son Tarot first, before it's put on my web site for public consumption - he's my barometer!!!