Sabian Symbols Study Group: Gemini 4 - #64

Elven

:) Welcome to the Sabian Symbol Oracle Study thread!

Please feel free to discuss the Sabian Symbol in this thread, and to ask questions or, explore any aspect of the many interpretions the Symbol holds. Please add your own observations and interpretations too!! The Symbol used in this heading is by Lynda Hill www.sabiansymbols.com

Sun Sign: GEMINI
Degree: 4
Number: 64

Symbol: HOLY AND MISTLETOE BRING CHRISTMAS SPIRIT TO A HOME.

tink27

When I searched for the symbology of holly and mistletoe, I found this which I think is rather interesting http://wilstar.com/xmas/xmassymb.htm

Mistletoe and Holly
Two hundred years before the birth of Christ, the Druids used mistletoe to celebrate the coming of winter. They would gather this evergreen plant that is parasitic upon other trees and used it to decorate their homes. They believed the plant had special healing powers for everything from female infertility to poison ingestion. Scandinavians also thought of mistletoe as a plant of peace and harmony. They associated mistletoe with their goddess of love, Frigga. The custom of kissing under the mistletoe probably derived from this belief. The early church banned the use of mistletoe in Christmas celebrations because of its pagan origins. Instead, church fathers suggested the use of holly as an appropriate substitute for Christmas greenery.

http://www.didyouknow.cd/xmas/mistletoe.htm This site too speaks of our pagan history.

Yes, this symbol does speak of reawakening old memories of Christmas – bringing back the Mistletoe and Holly. Without looking it up, my understanding of the Pagans is that they see the earth alive and all life as sacred and interconnected.

There was a painting that I searched for on the net and could not find. I found similarities but not the original painting created by Bicci Di Lorenzo. He created a famous painting called St. Nicholas of Myra, St. Nicholas of Bari, or St. Nicholas the Wonder-Worker. Ohh how I wish I could find it. What I did find was this one, http://www.metmuseum.org/works_of_Art/viewOneZoom.asp?dep=11&viewmode=1&item=16.121&zoomFlag=0

The story of life, is an ancient one and it’s stored within the earth and our bodies! We each hold a historical treasure house and we each need to become our own inner archaeologist. I couldn’t help but ask what we would discover. What came to mind was that evolution has in fact pieced and melted each part of who we are into the other and it is you and I, right here and now that has emerged – and from the earth, brought into being. We are thinking creatures with awesome dimensions -- just think, the one little flame that you and I possess is powerful enough to set the whole world alight – the universe would worship us – not the other way around. Our goal is to ‘feel’ Earth as our home and act on making it a better place.

We have forgotten who we are. We have forgotten that we are still children. There is a vulnerable part inside all of us. I’m slowly beginning to discover that and that vulnerable part of us is still inside of us. A lot of us are frightened of people in pain, who cry out help me, save me, love me. There is something very deep in the human heart that is afraid of pain. One has to go deeper to understand where that fear has come from. But fear is also the fear of getting involved of losing our freedom and being taken down a road we don’t want. So we create barriers and our vulnerabilities show themselves as being aggressive, judging and pushing people down.

Red in the positive sense is life, strength power and vitality – it is also Self-Knowledge.

Technology has created all kinds of toys to provide us with distractions – especially when we don’t want to look at reality. Ipods, television and the internet helps us to forget about our pain and our loneliness. We’ve learnt to fly from reality and pretend we are in another world. And we use drugs not only to alleviate physical pain but we use them to numb psychic pain, to numb loneliness to numb the feeling we are no longer together.

When we awaken what is inside of us true humility will grow in consciousness. When we restore the old memories of Christmas together, a new legend will be created.

tink

MCsea

I just rememberd I wrote this - here is the link
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=52248&highlight=HOLLY+MISTLETOE

Ill add it all...

Sabian Symbols and the Winter Solstice

Winter Solstice, Merry Christmas, Noel and Happy Holidays!! The Sabian Symbols have three main symbols referring to this time of year. Let’s look to the meaning behind each symbol - briefly.

Gemini 4 - Holly and mistletoe bring Christmas spirit to a home

This symbol reflects social celebrations of the spirit, returning to simple joys, celebrations of family and friends, peace and joy. It expresses the love within a family, and the value of community. Colors indicated within this symbol are white, gold, red and green.

Ancient forests and ancient ways are echoed in this symbol, showing us early traditions and the relationship we had with nature. Pre-Christian times saw Holly used to decorate doors, windows and fireplaces because of its ‘prickliness’ in essence used to protect homes by warding off evil spirits before they entered a home.

Mistletoe or ‘All-Heal’ produces flowers and ripe berries in winter and was symbolic to the ancient Druids. Gold in color, and growing high off the ground without roots, it was naturally associated with the sun. Mistletoe was used by the Druid priesthood in a sacred ceremony held five days after the New Moon following winter solstice. The Druid priests would cut mistletoe from an oak tree with a golden sickle.

Gemini 2 - Santa Claus Filling Stocking Furtively

Santa Claus is the modern symbol of bringer of gifts to children. The Christian figure of Saint Nicholas replaced or incorporated various pagan gift-giving figures such as the Roman Befana and the Germanic Berchta and Knecht Ruprecht. The term Christkindl derived from the German/Austrian origins of the gift giver, evolved to Kriss Kringle, another nickname for Santa Claus. Various other European Christmas gift givers were more or less similar to Saint Nicholas: in France, Julenisse in Scandinavia, and Father Christmas in England. This symbol is the hope of wishes coming true. Red and white are colors associated with this symbol.

Taurus 9 - A Christmas Tree Decorated

The custom of decorating an evergreen with lights and ornaments is seen to be Christian, but its roots lie deep in the Pagan past. In ancient times, the venerated tree was the oak, though ashes and yews were substituted in later ancient days, and the representation of the tree as life among the desolation of winter shifted to the evergreen needles of the pine. Evergreens are a natural symbol of rebirth and life particularly in the northern winter whiteness. The Christmas tree is such a popular symbol of the winter holiday that it has been adopted by people of many faiths in many countries. This symbol refers to sharing rituals, customs and tradition, the unity of people and spirit at this time of year. Here we have the hope of good will, celebrations and loving intentions.

In all the ways people celebrate ‘midwinter’, we see how this time of the year is also 'reborn' in different cultures echoes its original cyclic meaning, rebirth in light and darkness, safety and giving.

MORE SOON

MARINA

MCsea

Key Word Ritualization
Numerology 64
Element Watermelon Tourmaline
Discussion Watermelon Tourmaline is a zoned coloured tourmaline with a pink-red core and green edges. Traditionally Watermelon tourmaline brings the metaphysical energy of green tourmaline and red (rubelite) which is considered to promote creativity, spiritual love and enhance willpower and self discipline whilst bringing wisdom. It is especially thought to bring emotional healing. Above all it promotes a feeling of joy. Does it ring out green and red festive healing spiritual energy too?

tink27

MCsea said:
Key Word Ritualization
Numerology 64
Element Watermelon Tourmaline
Discussion Watermelon Tourmaline is a zoned coloured tourmaline with a pink-red core and green edges. Traditionally Watermelon tourmaline brings the metaphysical energy of green tourmaline and red (rubelite) which is considered to promote creativity, spiritual love and enhance willpower and self discipline whilst bringing wisdom. It is especially thought to bring emotional healing. Above all it promotes a feeling of joy. Does it ring out green and red festive healing spiritual energy too?

My knowledge of healing stones is limited but I do love Tourmaline. Our lungs, breasts and heart is affected by the lack of Love. Watermelon Tourmaline certainly does energize the heart chakra. It's green rind heals the emotions and the pink transmits and receives love. Our lungs want to give and receive love freely, Tourmaline definitely rings of healing spiritual energy and the joy of Holly and Mistletoe.

tink

MCsea

Thanks Tink,
when I was looking for this element, my mind kept saying it has to be green and red green and red and it was a bit confusing as only ruby in zoisite (that I thought at the time was green and red -but it already belonged elsewhere...)
then I went into our crystal cabinet and just let my eyes float - OHHHHH she said green and 'red' :)
its not only a festive feeling but still supports the ancient sacredness of these symbols

MARINA

purple_scorp

I thought it would be good to use the Orphalese software to record my daily sabian symbol readings and so set about looking for appropriate images to convey the meaning of each card.

Attached is what I came up with for this symbol.

with love
purple_scorp

Attachments

• 63.jpg
    63.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 283