10th planet? Sedna

Gerbear

I found no mention of a beam of light, you obviously have more information than I can access. A firm foundation in Astronomy, calculus, orbital mechanics, plus a little chaos theory would be the minimum to understand any explanation I can give. This can be continued off line, if wanted.

Minderwiz

Hey fellas, this is beginning to sound like two professional Astrologers disagreeing at an Astrological Convention :) :)

I remember a long time ago when I was a student of Politics, an interviewer asked the then Chinese Foriegn Minister, Chou En Lai what he thought the effects of the French Revolution had been.

Chou thought for a moment or two and then answered 'It's too soon to know'

Personally, I think it will be quite some time before we are able to assess the significance of Sedna and the Astronomical community certainly haven't claimed it as a planet - that's a spin that the press have put on it.

jlbvt

Just for the record here, I will mention that I thought all the planets were round. Every picture and model I have ever seen was of a perfect sphere. Gerbear, I am curious to know now which planets are the most round, and which ones look more like footballs. (that's wierd!) ;)

Gerbear

The planets everyone knows are round, though any with satellites are distorted to a very small extent by their moons. Although this variance is tiny, it musy be taken into account to accurately track satellites and to make GPS sysytems feasible. The asteroids, pieces of a shattered planet, located between Mars and Jupiter, are all sorts of shapes. Comets are also mainly round, but some have been observed with oblong shapes. Objects in the Kuiper belt also seem to be left-over material from the formation of the solar system, and are found in irregular shapes.

HOLMES

wow

thanks minderwiz for "you sound like two astrologers " as i only read three books and have no classes :O).

i agree to agree with the statement "it is too soon to know" as i have no interest in studying astrononmy. that is a little too much out of my field of interest :O)

Gerbear

Minderwiz said:
Hey fellas, this is beginning to sound like two professional Astrologers disagreeing at an Astrological Convention :) :)

Thanks for the compliment, but I'm no professional when it comes to Astrology, it's just a lifelong interest. However my degree is in Astronomy, another lifelong interest. The two disciplines started as one and have much in common.