This is weird... about sun signs

TheBip

I actually found this application on facebook, and followed links to the actual website this is found on.

(from http://www.livescience.com/widgets/birthday.html) Your astrological sign was determined by the position of constellations 2200 years ago. Over time, Earth has tilted on its axis changing these positions...and maybe even your astrological sign! Let the science of Astronomy explain the phenomenon of precession, which caused this shift.

http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/your-astronomical-sign.html

http://www.livescience.com/widgets/birthday.html

According to this site, Im a Pisces, not an Aries. I just looked up info about Pisces, and it fits me much better than Aries does!

afrosaxon

Sun signs only cover one aspect of a person's astrological profile. What is your ascendant (rising sign)? If it's Pisces,then that would explain why the Pisces sun sign profile fits you better than Aries...ascendants are how the world sees us (astrology experts,please correct me if I'm wrong).

Have you had your natal chart done? That will tell you your ascendant. You can get one done free at www.astro.com. You'll need to know your time of birth, along with your date of birth.

Good luck!

T.

TheBip

My rising Sign is Cancer

dadsnook2000

It looks like this "map" is

It looks like this "map" is placing planets above the horizon, at birth, against the constellations. This is similar to using the Sidereal zodiac, but not actually so. Most astrologers today use the Tropical zodiac which has no fixed relationship to the constellations. Nothing new here. Dave

Starling

I know it is hard to be told, "Yea, we know." But we do know. Dave said it wasn't new, because truly, it isn't new. The Constellations and the Signs started out about the same. Never exactly because a Sign is 30 degrees, and a Constellation can be almost anything, but rarely exactly 30 degrees.

There is also the whole question of why Astrology looks like it thinks that the Earth is the center of the Solar System and Universe for those who use Fixed Stars. But of course, that also is not true. There are Astrologers who actually use Heliocentric charts. As for the others, well... I've never stood on the Sun. The chart shows what the heavens looked like if you stood on the Earth and you could see what was going on, not just above your head, but also below your feet.

Most of the objections to Astrology are a lot like objections to Tarot. They are battling things that the Astrologers and readers of Tarot never "believed" in the first place.

Cup_of_Fire

It says that actually I'm a virgo. Scorpio is what I really am and it fits me to a T, but I am also a perfectionist which Virgo is of the zodiac. Interesting what you all are saying. I don't agree with this though, whatever their reasoning may be.

Starling

Cup_of_Fire said:
It says that actually I'm a virgo. Scorpio is what I really am and it fits me to a T, but I am also a perfectionist which Virgo is of the zodiac. Interesting what you all are saying. I don't agree with this though, whatever their reasoning may be.

But what you have to understand is that those people who don't use the Tropical system also have changed what the Signs mean. So their Virgo is a lot like what the Tropical Scorpio is, and it isn't the same as a Tropical Virgo.

It is a lot like how some Tarot cards have changed meanings. The Hierophant, for example, doesn't mean the same things it used to mean 200 years ago when it was called The Pope. It was always primarily a positive card but you only need to look at some of the threads here on Aeclectic to see that some people now see it as primarily negative.

Basically using the Siderial system is a case of why bother? The system we have works, and the other system requires so many changes to make it work equally well that it isn't worth the effort, at least for birth charts. I understand that it does have uses in predictive work.

dadsnook2000

Sidereal for prediction

Predictive work is what Siderealist's do. Its timing and event description is unbelievable and very clear. Tropical astrology has other uses, but Sidereal has a very big edge when it comes to prediction. Amazingly, it has nothing to do with the "signs" since most western astrologers don't use Sidereal signs. Its all about the changed "timing" mechanics. Dave

ravenest

TheBip said:
According to this site, Im a Pisces, not an Aries. I just looked up info about Pisces, and it fits me much better than Aries does!
Hi Bip. (Looking at JUST 'western astrology' and the understandings of it here) I had a similar experience. I am tropically a Cancer and sidereally a Gemini. An astrologer friend who is rigidly tropical got all flustered about it and INSISTED that I must be Cancer as she knew me so well and related what she knew about me to Cancer. (Yes I know this is all very basic and simplified and does not incorporate all the other astrological dynamics).
But, since I knew her very well, and the way I knew her (we had a magical/wiccan relationship) was 'Lunar', after looking at my sidereal chart I saw my Moon had moved into Cancer and I believe that was the energy she was detecting.

Others who don't know me the same way can quiet easily see the gemini influence in me.

I believe that although your Sun sign will change with a sidereal realighnment, so will all the other planets, and that is why sometimes either system will seem relevant or not, depending on which part we and others focus on in our psyche and personality.

Lillie

Yeah, but if you point to gemini in the sky, and say 'hey, that's gemini up there' The gemini in the group says 'that's me that is', and every one goes 'oh wow! where's my sign and the saggis are generally dissapointed.

And that's just life.

most of everyone makes a total and absolute correlation between their star sign and the constellation in the sky.
It's ok for the technical people to say it's not so, but it's how everyone sees it and will continue to see it.

People like to see 'their sign'.