Which tarot deck was the most disappointing buy?

Aidan

Really ? Why ? I was planning on buying it because I adore minimalistic decks... What do you mean by "scary"?

I forgot to quote you. My last post is meant as an answer for you

Celtictarot

Mine is Anna K and Dream Enchantress. :( Couldn't connect to neither

FLizarraga

The Tarokado. What a beautiful, beautiful, beautiful deck. I could blow up each card and hang it on the wall. But the connection is just not there at all.

Also, although the cards are nice and big, the art is just too unfocused. Trying to read with it is like playing Where's the Penguin --all you see is lines.

Dark Victory '39

hmm..

I'm laughing about where's the Penguin, FLiz. i think my disappointment is entirely linked to how long i've been treasuring up wanting something. So for me, even though i still own it, it's the fantastic menagerie. And i don't hate it, but those animals are mean to me, lol. and i paid quite a bit on ebay for it several years ago; though i do have several of its images in my collage book for further contemplation: the alchemist moth on the 10 coins. And i will say i don't have the book, and part of me thinks if i ever have kids, maybe they'll like to look at it or we can tell stories with it. But for the years i've had it, i don't use it like i thought it would. maybe i'll still sell/trade it. it doesn't leave a bad taste in my mouth or anything, but i keep wanting to love it in the way i assumed i would.

FLizarraga

I'm laughing about where's the Penguin, FLiz. i think my disappointment is entirely linked to how long i've been treasuring up wanting something. So for me, even though i still own it, it's the fantastic menagerie. And i don't hate it, but those animals are mean to me, lol. and i paid quite a bit on ebay for it several years ago; though i do have several of its images in my collage book for further contemplation: the alchemist moth on the 10 coins. And i will say i don't have the book, and part of me thinks if i ever have kids, maybe they'll like to look at it or we can tell stories with it. But for the years i've had it, i don't use it like i thought it would. maybe i'll still sell/trade it. it doesn't leave a bad taste in my mouth or anything, but i keep wanting to love it in the way i assumed i would.

God, yes, that's such a gorgeous deck! But the Baba decks are all stunners. There's not one dud. I so wanted to pre-order the Alice Tarot, but based on the scans I didn't think it would be a reading deck for me, so I passed.

Another thing is that some decks take time and study. I complain a lot about the Tyldwick, but in the end I keep it because the connection is there.

MoonGypsy

i remember the feeling of hopeful anticipation...
and then the instant repulsion and disappointment when
i opened the deck of:

Tarot of the Elves... Instantly struck me as Sterile and Robotic

But the artist has fully redeemed himself in my eyes--and then some--with
his gorgeous new deck:

The Ghost Tarot--which i find very luminescent and ethereal

BeyondtheVeil

Where to start? lol

Seriously... there are many. Here is my list so far, since 2009:

Bohemian Gothic Tarot {any edition}

Decameron Tarot - I'm not sure WHAT I was thinking getting this deck. :bugeyed:

Gilded Tarot & Companion Book- Beautiful Artwork, but absolutely NO connection! :(

Morgan-Greer- I really do like every card EXCEPT the Devil one. It really creeps me out so I couldn't use it at all! So, it was a disappointment.

Parrotts Tarot- This deck seemed like a cruel joke to me. :( It only showed neat cards on the site, but those were the ONLY neat cards in the entire deck. It was horrible! I felt bad that I absolutely hated this deck. I also don't like animals as the main characters.

Russian Tarot of St. Petersburg- I was so excited when I got this deck. I opened it up and was soooooooooooooooooooo disappointed. It was nothing like I thought it would be in person and I couldn't read with it.

Victorian Romantic Second Edition I just thought I would bond with this since I love everything 'victorian". I was wrong. I paid normal price for it and the companion book, so no complaints on price. I would have been so upset had I paid the "out of print" price though.

I have to say that my most disappointed was getting these:

The Illuminated Tarot. I thought it would be so much more amazing that it actually was. Plus the price was ridiculous! :( This is by far my biggest disappointment in a deck.

Angel Tarot by Doreen Virtue. I love most of her oracle decks and have them. I just received this a couple of days ago and I absolutely HATE this deck! It is too feel goody or something. It makes my skin crawl. This is puzzling to me since I love the other decks I have of hers. This deck is also huge....the size of her other oracles.

So, that is my list. :)

BeyondtheVeil

Pauline Kilar

Wildwood Tarot

I recently got back into Tarot after a long hiatus. The first new deck I've purchased this go-round (and I've since purchased several at an alarming rate) was the Wildwood Tarot. I found it by accident while searching for The Wild Unknown, saw that it was on sale, and gave it a go.

While the animal court cards are charming and well-drawn, the people in the deck just look weird and gross. (Like the Sun card with the Ken-doll man-bits. It's a naked dude -- just show his junk already!). They have weird feet, or weird leering faces. And the Majors don't seem to correspond well to any known system.

ON TOP OF THAT, I found out this was supposed to be a kind of "remake" of the Greenwood Tarot. And let me tell you, I find the images of the Greenwood to be SUBLIME. The Wildwood looks cartoony and flat in comparison. It is but a weak shadow. "Wherein Wisdom Resides" my butt!

So I doubly resent this deck for making me want an out-of-print deck I can't sensibly afford.

Owl Song

Oh, so many decks.

The Illuminati. I wanted to like it. I tried to like it. Too busy and the proportion on many of the bodies is off (I'm sure it's intentional). I gave it away.

Legacy of the Divine. I love Ciro's Gilded Royale and Tarot of Dreams. But I just didn't connect with LOTD. I don't care for the helmet-knights and Llewllyn's think cardstock was a huge disappointment.

Dream Enchantress. I hated it. I found the artwork repulsive and got rid of it almost as soon as I got it.

reall

i didn't have this experience yet!^^ (and hopefully never!^^)
probably because I thoroughly check ALL rev before baying! and that was the reason for not bayin tarot Illuminati even if each card is amazing peace of artwork and can be hanged to the wall! i find it too much for reading /on small card if you know what i mean?!;))

as for LOTD *I luv Chiro work and GT look excellent in reading!^^
I think LOTD book may be interesting?!^^ but its off my budget right now!^^ ;)))))