Decks with a sea or mythology theme?

ueI

The cephalopod tarot looks neat. I'm surprised it doesn't have any reviews.

Nica

The Mythic Tarot as well.

nisaba

The cephalopod tarot looks neat. I'm surprised it doesn't have any reviews.

I'll write one, eventually. Since I received it, I've been busy. Sorry.

OaksWhispering

Why, oh why did you have to enable me! :| The playing cards look gorgeous!! I just talked myself into believing that I could easily use these as an oracle. (That's why I had to order them immediately. Fortunately I found a French site selling the cards so that I didn't have to import them from the US. :surprise:)

Let me know how they work out for you as an oracle... might end up going that route myself

OaksWhispering

Thanks for all the suggestions.. Just wanted something more like that bicycle deck, not too feminine or too masculine and with more muted tones in the coloring.
I do like some of the ones suggested, just not quite what I was hoping for.
I love the artwork of Jasmine Beckett-Griffith but find I can't actually read with it - more something I would put up on my wall.
Can see myself reading with cephalopod though

Serenia

Let me know how they work out for you as an oracle... might end up going that route myself

Yep, I'll let you know! So far, the deck is nowhere in sight, though. I guess it will arrive sometime within the next two weeks.

Serenia

I just received and unwrapped my Seven Seas playing cards! (Well, actually I'm still in the process of doing so - I just couldn't wait to share it with you! :D)

My first impression is that the cards are gorgeous!! They have a slightly textured surface which gives them a lovely look and feel. And I love the colour scheme of the cards, and the card backs! :heart:

The cards are a bit slippery, but I guess this is probably due to the fact that they are intended as playing cards. Another potential downside is that you need good eyesight to see all the details since the cards are rather small (regular playing card size), but I'm okay with that.

The court cards and aces definitely look like they can convey a certain meaning, at least after some research about pirate legends and tales. The same goes for the other minor arcana - at least in theory, as the clubs/spades 2-10 and the hearts/diamonds 2-10 look the same, respectively, apart from the suit symbols. At the moment I have no idea how to deal with this. An easy solution could be to just remove one of the black suits and one of the red suits from the deck, but probably a more elegant solution will come to mind.

I'm quite sure I can attach a meaning to the clubs/spades 2-10, but I'm not so sure about the hearts/diamonds 2-10. They depict different types of ships, increasing in size. Probably a numerology approach would help here. I'd prefer, though, to read the deck based on its images - otherwise I could just use regular playing cards. Maybe I can try a combined approach, so that I read the clubs/spades based on their images and use the hearts/diamonds as representing different time frames or degrees of importance of an issue or so, depending on the question asked.

You can't apply reversed card meanings (obviously), as reversed cards look absolutely the same as upright cards.

So there are some little obstacles to overcome, but if you ask me, the deck looks very promising! :party:

OaksWhispering

Sounds great! If nothing else, at least they are attractive. I have heard of people reading playing cards before, so I suppose it can be done.